• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you still live in your first house?

We live in the first home we purchased.

I gets tempting to think about moving, but like others, we just dread the thought of it.

Our home will be paid for in 10 years, and we really want to travel.

I see us staying here for a long time. But getting an RV and seeing the sights!

We are still in our first home. Have been here for 13 years. Unless we move to a warmer location, I can't ever see us moving. I do get the allure of buying a new house. We tour new construction all the time, however I do it to get ideas for our house. It is just a 3 bedroom 2000 sq ft. We only have one child so the space is fine and we have kept everything up to date with flooring, kitchen, baths, furnace, siding etc.

While we could afford to pay much more, I just don't see the point. By staying in our low cost house we get to take 2 vacations a year!

Plus as the OP said, her mortgage will be paid off in about 7 years. That is awesome!

Married 32 years and this is our 5th house. My husband and I rode around yesterday looking for a house. We want to downsize since our kids are grown. He's talking about building but I'm not crazy about the idea. I bought home design software and all of the houses I'm designing are as big or bigger than the one we have now but with all rooms on one level.

We still live in the house we bought when we got married in 1987. In fact, we bought it from my in-laws who owned it from the time it was built (1954). I doubt any of our kids will want it, but who knows? We did add on a family room. I plan to be here another 20 years or so until we need to downsize.

We still live in the house we bought when we got married in 1987. In fact, we bought it from my in-laws who owned it from the time it was built (1954). I doubt any of our kids will want it, but who knows? We did add on a family room. I plan to be here another 20 years or so until we need to downsize.

That's neat that it has stayed in the family!

We are in our 3rd place together, 4th if you count my condo where we lived a year before buying our first joint home. We have lived here the longest at almost eight years. I really did not expect to be here this long. I think by the time I fix up or update all that needs it, it will be time to sell and move on. Our next place will have no yard and hopefully be located somewhere warmer, near a beach. :rolleyes2

This is the first home (townhouse) we've owned and have been here since 1997. I love the area, and other than the issue of stairs being too much to maneuver (and my dream of having my own driveway) when I'm older, it's 50/50 that we will stay here forever.

Njmom ditto to your post. We also bought our first home (townhome) in 2004. I love the area we live in but hate the stairs in my home. But we are here til at least the kids graduate high school.

We're in our second home. Stayed in the first for seven years. We've been in this home for 11 years. I have no current plans to move, but I'm not opposed to it after the kids are through high school.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::lmao::lmao:

not even in the same State. more than 40 homes in my 43 years

I can beat that--not even in the same country :lmao:

I can totally see my DD settling down somewhere and staying put--I know it works great for some people. I don't think I would like it though. I get restless and want new adventures.

DH and I still live in the first house we bought 3 years after we got married. 20 years this year.

My parents still live in the first house they bought after they got married... Close to 60 years.

We moved into our starter home 17 years ago. We did extensive renovations, and it is now the home we always wanted - although we would like it better in a different location.

We should have it paid off in less than four years, just before the kids leave for college.

Choosing to stay in this house, refinancing when it made sense to do it, and adding sweat equity to it has put us in a much better financial position than we otherwise would have been in at this point.

We are in this house since 1997. It's fine for now since my job is here and it would be foolish to transfer. But so looking to move to Florida in the next 13 to 15 years after I can retire.
I hate the cold and the snow, but alas moving is not an option at this time. But on the bright side I will own it outright so the sale will be all mine :)

We just bought our first house in December so yes! ;)

I hate moving so much and love our house so much that I don't have any intentions of ever leaving!

We've been married 18 years. We spent the first 7 years in 3 different military housing apartments/small townhouses. Bought our first house with DH's last year in the Army, lived there 5 years, and then most recently bought our current home. We've been there 6 years and will likely not move for at least 20 more. It's certainly not our forever home- great for a big family but way too much for just DH and I. I'm not a fan of the maintenance as it is!

Don't get me wrong, I HATE moving, but I love the way it forces us to declutter and get rid of stuff. After 6 years, it's defintely time to do some major purging. Hoping to get started on that this weekend!

Yes, we moved in 2 months after getting married, so it was actually 18 years ago today! It actually came with DH's new job- the boss owned it as a rental and said we could live there so DH would be close to the shop and able to run over there whenever needed. 5 years later we bought it in case DH left the job- he did a few years later.

No plans to leave. We got a really good deal on the place and the payments are low. It's 5 acres with outbuildings, so DH has tractors and trailers and tools all over- would be awful to move. DH is self employed based at home so it's not like his job will move him. We added a main floor bedroom last year, so we are set to grow old here.

So since this place fell in our laps, one thing I never got to do was house shopping. I cure that itch by checking out listings online and realizing how good of a deal we got...and really I don't find many houses on there that I like better.

We've moved over 20 times in our marriage -- most of them in the early years when we lived in an isolated environment and it was hard to find long-term rentals. Moving doesn't bother me. In fact, I LIKE moving because it forces my "collector" husband to purge. We're having problems now because we've lived in one place long enough that his "stuff" is taking over the house.

We've owned two homes. The first we had to sell when we both lost our jobs. The one we currently own, we've lived in about 14 years. I'm ready to sell it and move on. I'd be ready to sell even if we were going to stay here because I settled on the house and sacrificed certain things due to a time crunch and those certain things bug me more and more every year to the point where I can't enjoy living in it any more. It's never felt like "home" to me, just a place I live.

Next time, I'm not settling. I've learned I'd rather rent than buy a place that doesn't make me happy.

I bought my house 14yrs ago. Approx 1200 sq ft 3bdr, 1.5 baths. For me it was all location. I live in the midwest so housing prices are very affordable. I have refinaced twice and will have my home paid off when I am 55. I will die here. I redid it 14 yrs ago and now it needs some more renovations,but I have plenty of time to do that. B/C of my low mortgage payment and low cost of living my girls are I live a very nice life. I know every situation is different,but it has never crossed my mind to move and start over with a new mortgage. Being frugal and debt free is more important than moving into a bigger and better house and lifestyle.

We bought our first house 6 years ago and still live here. We are hoping to upgrade in the next couple years though!

I can beat that--not even in the same country :lmao:

I can totally see my DD settling down somewhere and staying put--I know it works great for some people. I don't think I would like it though. I get restless and want new adventures.

LOL Hadley, well we left and came back so theres that. How are you? LTNC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter