Do you still have your Secure/Recession proof job?

I work for a government contractor on a really big contract for the Air Force. While I'm pretty comfortable saying my job is safe, you never know.

DH and I are both teachers. His district is sending teacher to Orlando for a conference this summer (from MO) so they aren't hurting. My district has let some staff go, but only a few teachers. I am not tenured yet, so I could still be let go in the next few years (I do have my letter for next year).

I consider my job fairly recession-proof. I own and operate a small pet-sitting business. My business was up 48% last year, the worst year financially in our nation since WWII. We live in a high income area and so as long as people kept their jobs, they still needed a dog walker. And nobody seemed to give up their vacations and so I had lots of vacation pet-sitting work. Since we carry no debt, I feel like we would have been fine if DH lost his job as I can easily pay our monthly bills with my income.

My DH is in no way recession-proof. He's the highest paid software developer in his company....a software company. Like Crisi, we feel like we've made it through this recession though. His company remained profitable without as they managed the downturn well. In 2009 the 401K match was dropped and salaries were frozen, but this year DH got a promotion, a raise and the 401K match resumes this summer. So, I feel like we dodged the bullet this time around.

DH is stilll employed with the same company and things actually seem to be picking up for him. I'm still employed in the same field, but did change jobs 2 months ago (voluntarily) after the firm I was working for (for 13 years) went to a 32 hour work week in an effort not to lay anyone off. It was also a benefit to my co-workers at my old job because with me leaving they were able to divide my job up amongst the remaining employees and as of the 1st of April they all went back to full time work. I have to say it was a benefit to me too because I love the new job!

DH is a contract worker in the energy industry. A few years ago he'd average 70 hour work weeks in the fall/spring, while having winter and summer off. Now he works 70+ hour weeks in the fall/spring, and in winter/summer he's working 40+ hour weeks. It's out of state though, so while it's nice he's employed, he's gone all but 4 days or so a month and his benefits suck. They actually can't find enough people to do the jobs, it's physically demanding and requires a lot of travel. There's a lot of continuing education and testing, so many people only work for a season or two before deciding this isn't what they want to do.

I'm a full-time student and I'll graduate in 3 years. My profession is pretty much recession proof, there are jobs out there, they just might not be where you want. You have to be flexible to the possibility to moving. When I started schooling many companies were offering $$$ sign on bonuses and your choice of location; that's no longer the case. We want to live in a part of the state where they have a very hard time attracting qualified/trained people, so I feel pretty good about my prospects.

I've been reading this thread just to see what people actually need to do to have security in their jobs...

I work in government, but not like you think - church government. Let me tell you that people have severely cut giving to churches! And we can feel it! But the funny thing is, that it's the biggest churches in the most affluent areas that seem to be cutting the most, percentage-wise. Some of the smaller churches, in areas of not-quite-so-high socio-economic status communities have actually maintained or increased their giving in the last couple of years! It's interesting... someone could probably use this as a sermon illustration...

I haven't seen raises, nor a cost of living increase in a couple years. At this point, I'm told my job is only secure until at least Sept of this year. We're more than likely going to see staff cuts by then... who knows if I'll still have my position? :confused3

Dh used to work in a popular pharmacy-store chain, and that was a fairly secure job once you were in - but only secure if you basically lived there, suffered from serious sleep deprivation, and completely neglected your family in the process. Thankfully, he's no longer there... we'd prefer financial insecurity over that nightmare! ;)

Both of our jobs are still fairly secure. DH works in banking fraud and is actually busier now due to the economy, sadly. I work for an insurance agency & will be taking over some work for a co-worker's maternity leave this summer. I don't make enough that they would get rid of me yet, I fill in the holes for overflow work.

DH's bank may or may not be secure. There was a rumor they may be bought out in the next few years. They are large enough I'd don't think they would go under and if his dept gets cut in a merge, I think he has enough experience to get something else even if we have to move to find it.

I'm a registered nurse - a supposedly "in demand" and recession-proof job.. yet they've been cutting our hours, making us work with higher patient loads and less staff, raising our insurance, decreasing our retirement match and of course - no raises.
don't get me wrong - I'm glad to have a job at all - but I'm feeling pretty frustrated too!

My husband a electrician just went back to work in FEB after a 14 month lay off. But we had tons in savings. We went threw most of that. But if we can make it til October with him working things will be better. We will have another 200.00 bill paid off. No money in savings but can't complain he has a 40 hour a week job right now. I own a daycare but with people loosing jobs. I'm down to 2 full time kids and 3 part time. I don't make much a week but it is something. Plus I still get to stay home with my kids. Another thing that saved us was no car payments. We basically have are house and utilites and one credit card left and that is it.

We still go to disney every year but instead of deluxe we have been staying value with free dining. But that is really the only thing we do as a family right now.

Both of our jobs are still fairly secure. DH works in banking fraud and is actually busier now due to the economy, sadly.

Dh does the same type job.... securities compliance, and they have been busier than ever also :rolleyes1 A lot of sales reps get desperate for those commission dollars in this economy.

I've been teaching 19 years...I feel my job is VERY secure. We have teachers at my school who've only been teaching 1-2 years. They will go wayyyyyyyyyy before I would. :teacher:

I am a teacher but have only taught for 3 years. I also work at a small charter school and I not only feel insecure with my job (we do rehires in early May) but the odds of finding another one around here with hundreds of teachers laid off is slim at best. Plus last year we got minimal raises and Im sure that is the same (at best) we would get this year. Although I would be perfectly happy just having another year's employment guaranteed. I work part time at a local church doing childcare and this will be the second year without raises and they also had layoffs well.

dh is a police officer and I am a dispatcher

I'm a SAHM and DH is a nuclear engineer. He has his master's, a bunch of training, and 20+ years of experience. His company thinks he walks on water. I'm almost embarressed to admit that he's been at the company less than 2 years, and has gotten 2 raises and several bonuses. He'll get another bonus later this year. Plus, refueling th eplant starts in a week--he'll be working 6, 12-hour days (nights actually, this time, which sucks). While he doesn't get overtime pay, he gets paid for the hours he works, at his standard rate, if that makes sense.

So, yeah, he's real secure, due to being so highly specialized. I don't usually say much, I know a lot of people are hurting right now. The way the company throws money at us makes me paranoid. But, we did take a huge flyer on this job--moving our family after 20 years in the same nice town. So, we're fortunate that it's working out.

I've been reading this thread just to see what people actually need to do to have security in their jobs...

I work in government, but not like you think - church government. Let me tell you that people have severely cut giving to churches! And we can feel it! But the funny thing is, that it's the biggest churches in the most affluent areas that seem to be cutting the most, percentage-wise. Some of the smaller churches, in areas of not-quite-so-high socio-economic status communities have actually maintained or increased their giving in the last couple of years! It's interesting... someone could probably use this as a sermon illustration...

I haven't seen raises, nor a cost of living increase in a couple years. At this point, I'm told my job is only secure until at least Sept of this year. We're more than likely going to see staff cuts by then... who knows if I'll still have my position? :confused3

Dh used to work in a popular pharmacy-store chain, and that was a fairly secure job once you were in - but only secure if you basically lived there, suffered from serious sleep deprivation, and completely neglected your family in the process. Thankfully, he's no longer there... we'd prefer financial insecurity over that nightmare! ;)

This is interesting! Our church is in downtown Detroit - in a nice area (right across the street from Comerica Park (where the Tiger's play) and in the theater district). Many of the parishioners are from the nice suburbs. I wonder which category we'd be in! Anyway, I'm just grateful that our church is stable!

I am a nurse in the metro detroit area. My job is secure but because of my seniority and experience. Our census has dropped, the people who have insurance don't have anything elective done because they don't want their jobs to think they can do without them and the ones without insurance wait until they are dying because they can't afford health care. There is no longer any overtime where 2 years ago I could work when ever I wanted. Out of a class of nurses from a local university that is graduating May 1 only 3 have jobs so far. The last nurse we hired ( an experienced one) applied for 20 jobs and ours was the only one she was even contacted for.I think we will be looking at layoffs soon secondary to our census. My friend who at 54 decided to go back to nursing school told me an instructor told her class that they all needed to consider leaving the state for jobs. Nursing has not been recession proof by a long shot.
My husband who is an engineer for GM and builds trucks made it through all the cutbacks. He is now doing the work of at least 3 people because they are cut back too tight. He works horrendous hours and gets "comp" time. This would be nice but as he does the work of three people he can't ever be spared to get his comp time. They could not even grant him all of his vacation last year so that was just money lost.
I can't complain, we are still working. I work with at least 5 nurses who's husbands have been out of work almost 2 years. 4 of the nurses just in my unit lost their homes. Our income dropped by 17000 dollars last year and my income is on track to drop at least another 8000 this year. I will be working until I am 80 at this rate.

I thought my DH had a secure job but i was so wrong! He was with a MAJOR retailer in this country for 22 years and was a district manger. They decided to let his position go and about 400 + people had to find a job in the company. He applied to over 50 positions and had 3 interviews and ended up with nothing! They did finally offer him a job with the company 3 levels down and about 20,000 less a year in salary. We decided to take the severnce package they offered and get out of the company for good. He has had several interviews and we should know this week if he was hired at another retailer. Cross your fingers! This job would be awesome and we wouldnt have to move !WOOHOO! Everyone shopped at his old employer and we never thought he would lose his job. It is just sad how greedy corporate America has gotten.

NO ONE ever has a secure job. We are ALL just between job searches.

I worked at my last job for 15 years. It was a good job for a good company. It was also eliminated last October. And yes, I am a CPA who worked in a fairly recession proof industry. But I never took my job for granted.

I am still in a job search now and it has been 6 months. I am no closer now to a new job than I was 6 months ago. I"m lucky in that I got a great severance plan and I have no debt with lots of savings. We will be fine until I find somehting new to do. But it still isn't fun to be in a job search. It is very frustrating in this economy.

I work in the pharmaceutical industry while my job is no way secure, i have made it through the layoffs and cutbacks so far. DW is a pharmacist and as long as people need their meds she should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter