Do you still go to the parks without kids once they have grown up?

Portugal1000

DIS Veteran
We have been to Orlando 14 times since 2005 when our son was 5. Had the most fantastic times as you can imagine. He will be 18 this year and going off to University. He doesn't want to come with us as wants to go on holiday with friends. (We will still have a holiday with him to Majorca in June). Our friends always go in December (no children) and would love us to go with them. We'd love to go but both feeling like it may feel a little sad without our son. Part of me can't imagine going without him. Would definitely never go without him if he wanted to go. So wondered if anyone had similar situation and what it was like. Would love to be there for the Christmas season again, have missed that. My husband thinks he can handle the main parks but says he'd definitely be too sad to go to typhoon lagoon. The waves there have been a favourite of there's since the beginning. Lost count of the number of times I'd be sat waiting for them to come back.

Our kids are 25 and 20 and were 8-10 times a year park visitors since they were born. The wife and I have still been going at the same rate, if not more since they have branched into adulthood. They still like to go with us when they are in town, but we couldn't imagine not going with just the 2 of us.

Are there places you could go that he would also like to visit? Our older boys don't want to go to Disney any more, but they love the beach and I can sometimes add on a Disney day at the end of a beach trip to FL.

I've only been to Disney 3 times as an adult. Twice with my family, and once with my friend (we went there to do the Princess Half Marathon). Honestly, the trip with my friend was so much fun! I love my kids, but it's hard to completely enjoy a vacation in "mom mode", especially when they're young. We did exactly the things we wanted to do, exactly when we wanted to do them. One day, we had a whole day at MK planned (through dinner time). We finished by 1 PM! It was so much quicker and easier to get through the parks with just adults! I would absolutely do it again (and we have talked about doing another race - Disney puts on some great races!).

That said, you will likely be a bit sad the first time. I know I'll be a disaster when my kids leave home. But, what a great place to be 'sad' that your baby grew up!

You should absolutely go! I think once the initial reaction of going without your son for the first time settles in, you'll probably realize how much there is to enjoy WITHOUT kids. Sure, you'll be reminded of your visits there with your son, but I think Disney does such a fantastic job at being an attraction for all ages that I don't think it will distract from your enjoyment of the parks.

I have been taking my son since he was just shy of 3, I was a single mom but we still went every other year back then. He is now 37 and still goes with me at least once a year but I also go without him at least once a year, sometimes twice. I go solo because my honey hates travelling, hates crowds, hates amusement parks and basically would rather have some alone time. The first time I went without my son was kind of strange because I was alone and because I felt a little guilty. I got over it about 1 day in.

To me , one of the cool things about Disney is how the experience is different depending upon who you go with. We started both our kids about 18 months, navigating with strollers, trying to plan around naps, then the different experiences as they grew older - different rides, changing dining habits, then branching out to renting a house near Disney as they needed their own space a bit more. Once they hit college (2 years apart), DW and I managed a couple "us only" trips, I've also taken each of the kids separately with me and I've done solo trips, first for business, then just to get away from winter, for the past several years. The past two autumns, my wife and I have gone for Food and Wine (and the rest of the parks). I'm about to do another solo trip in a couple months. Every combination above is different and each has been very enjoyable in their own way.

I definitely wouldn't overthink this and think that by leaving the adult kids behind that I wouldn't have a good time. It will be different, but different in good ways. Having the opportunity to go with good friends sounds really nice and that's something we hope to do at some point. Since you've had such good times at WDW, there's no reason to believe you won't without your son. And you know what? Maybe next time he can go.

Just book it.

I have only been to WDW 2 times once March of 2017 with our children (13 & 18 at the time), this was for 5 park days and 6 nights, and the last trip was just 2 weeks ago with just my DW for her 50th Birthday, and only for 2 days and we had a great time because we could do adult things like having a drink (or 2 or 3), take a more easy pace, and smell the roses so to speak, we spent most of the day in EPCOT and explored World Show Case, and then managed to make it to MK in time for the fireworks, next day was AK but at our pace we even got to experience the World of Pandora both day and night. It was such a different feeling being there as just adults but I was a lot of fun, yes periodically I would think that the kids would have fun with us but we enjoyed our time just the 2 of us. DW took me by surprise when she told me we will take the kids back with us in 2 years, but we will be going back next year, she enjoyed herself that much (this from the person that was not the huge Disney fan I am).

I've only been as an adult and I don't have any kids, so I've never experienced it as a kid or taken any kids with me. My boyfriend and I go almost every other year and we really enjoy it. I've watched several families with kids of all ages and what they go through. I honestly wouldn't take any kids that are younger than 8. It seems the older the kids get, the more relaxed everyone is and the more fun everyone has.

I don't have any kids but I have experienced going with all adults and going with children and I think that adult trips and children trips have different focuses. Adult Only has more focus around EPCOT (Drink around the world, going to each country and watching the shows), Animal Kingdom Exploration instead of rides). Children trips are centered around character meets, rides, and breaks. Now that it's you and your husband you can focus on what you love about disney, try resort hopping, explore the animal kingdom lounge, rent a boat at Disney Springs, take a behind the scenes tour....)

We enjoy the parks as empty nesters. There are lots of things about emptying nesting that make you nostalgic and a give you a tear and a smile from time to time, but there are many more new adventures to enjoy as a couple and with our friends who are at the same stage of life.
Go and enjoy the parks including the water parks!

My parents went once by themselves when I was in my early 20s. My mom said she was sad the whole week and really missed us all being there together. She said that ultimately she wished her and my father had gone someplace else for their vacation.
Interestingly enough, DH and I were down in the St Pete beach area one year on vacation and we were going to choose a day or two to drive up to Orlando and go to some parks. I told him I could not go to the Magic Kingdom without my family bc I would just feel sad and sentimental.
Now that I have kids, we all go to WDW together again and it's even more magically than I remember. Although now I'm wondering how I will feel about going when my boys are grown up and busy.....I know that comes fast, but I guess I'm going to try to just be in the here and now.

All that being said, maybe my family is overly emotional! Lol. I say go for it and see how you like it. I know lots of ppl who go without their kids and have a blast!

I see no reason to avoid any vacation destination because your children have outgrown it. My children are all adults and married, so they clamor for us to vacation together now, but I remember when they were just out of high school and beginning lives of their own. They were not interested in us, they wanted to go off on their own, and that was fine. We did as well.

But that changed, as it does for so many others, and they wanted us to join them....in Disney! YAY!!! They still do! I truely believe that one of the reasons they now want to travel with us as an extended family is because we never added any pressure to them when they were spreading their own wings. Refusing to go anywhere because they chose not to join us might have sent a message to them that we did not intend, and perhaps pressured them into joining us when they reallly had different ideas.

Go whereever YOU want to go. Your son is an adult and will have different interests for now, and that is fine. He will not be sad you are enjoying an adult version of a trip you all had when he was younger.

Disney is awesome both with and without kids. Even when we get the chance to take a rare no-kids trip, we still go to Disney. It's incredible how different the parks are after you are used to touring them with kids. My view might be a bit skewed though since I'm a local (currently displaced thanks to the AF) and have been going to Disney since I was 2.

As my kids got older, high school and college, we invited their friends to go with us. They loved taking off on their own in the parks and introducing newbies to their favorites, then we'd met up for meals and fireworks. You might suggest that as a option for future trips.

After a few years of kids+friends, our trips changed to kids+spouses then kids+spouses+grandkids. After 30 years of family trips, I'm going to do a solo this spring, full of all the tours and dining I've skipped over the years. Tiki Birds-yes, ToT-no.

Two of my friends and two of their friends never had children. They’ve been going since childhood at least twice a year. They travel often, Europe, Africa, etc.

My DD is 20, and we are going this July. I’m sure we will continue to go since she wants to get married there and once there are grandchildren, we will be going with a new generation.

Dh and I went in 2016 for the first time without our kids. We loved it, planning to do it again this year.
I can't imagine never going back some place because I am too sad to be without my kids. It is just a new chapter, to enjoy things in a different way, especially as they are starting the journey of their own life, separate from mom and dad. It is the perfect time for you and your dh to be on your own in a place you love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter