Do you share food servings when at DLR?

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
My DW and I will be there in 12 days and we try to watch what we eat so as to not gain 5 pounds (even with the walking) while at Disney parks. We try to look for healthy options but sometimes there are not that many at all the places we may stop. So as a result, we sometimes will order one meal, then split it between us. This way, we satisfy our hunger and do not go overboard with calories and fat content.

I must admit, however, that sometimes I feel a little strange doing this. I find myself wondering, "I hope other guests do not think we are doing this because we can't afford two meals." I know that may be silly, but sometimes i find myself thinking that.

Anyway, do other couples share with each other while at Disney parks, and if so, do you sometimes have the same thoughts?

My daughter (age 20) and I split meals all of the time at DLR! The portions tend to be huge, and easy to share.

DH and I share the Plaza Inn fried chicken every time! WAAAAAY too much food for one person.

I find that portions in the U.S. are much larger than I'm used to. DH and I sometimes share, but we have different preferences, so I sometimes order a kids meal or we get 2 adult meals and share everything between the 4 of us (2 adults and two young kids who hardly eat.) At Flo's for breakfast we got 3 kids breakfast platters and it was enough for all of us. At Plaza Inn we get 1 fried chicken dinner, 1 kids baked chicken and 1 kids pasta and share it all between the 4 of us. I always ask for an extra plate.

Honestly, I don't worry about what other people think about what I eat for lunch/dinner and I don't pay attention or judge how strangers eat. I'm just too hungry to care!

Try not to worry about what others think.

If you do any table service meals, you may get charged a split plate fee of a few dollars but sharing at the counter service places is totally fine. It's probably more common than you think too.

We share counter service all the time but not very often at table service restaurants. Not that we wouldn't, it's just that when we do a sit down meal we plan our day around it more carefully so we're usually ready for our own meal. I wouldn't worry in the least about sharing a meal or what others may be thinking about it. It would be one thing if the restaurants didn't allow it, but they do so take advantage of it if you desire.

I will add that if you are doing it at a table service restaurant and there is not a split plate charge, you may want to consider tipping a little more as if you both ordered your own meal. That feeling of stiffing the wait staff is my only hangup on splitting plates.

The portions at DLR are ample, and I am a light eater. My daughter is also, so we often share meals.
I certainly would not worry about what anyone else is thinking.

We do it all the time too. Some of the portion sizes are plenty for two.

Don't even give it another thought what others are thing. When we sit down for a meal, looking at what others are eating or sharing is the last thing I'll be doing. We take the time to relax and enjoy the meal, while figuring out what to do next.

SHARE it and enjoy!!

Geemo

Absolutely! My husband and I found the portion-sizes in DLR (and a lot of the US in general) to be a lot more than we were comfortable with. We quickly got into the habit of splitting a meal, especially at lunch which for us is usually a much lighter meal.

Counter service is no problem because no one really knows what you are eating anyway. But with table service, we found it easiest for one of us to order an appetiser and the other an entrée (I still struggle with that, to us an "entrée" IS an appetiser, I don't understand how it came to mean the main course in the US) and we would ask for both to be served at the same time - and we'd shared.

We do this all the time also. Last weekend, my kids and I (all adults) each ordered either a salad or a french onion soup at Cafe Orleans, then 1 Monte Cristo, that we all split. No one thought twice about it.

Yes, we share often, the kids share as well. At TS restaurants we just share from one plate or we ask for an extra. At CO DBF gets a MC, I get a bowl of Gumbo, the girls get the pasta, we all share the Pomme Frites. We split this up as desired and pay no split plate fee because we just ask for an extra plate. At BB we do lunch and we it as our only big meal of the day so we don't share there.
At PI we get a chicken plate and a side salad, DBF and I are stuffed by the end of our meal.
It really isn't an issue to meal share at all.

I wouldn't worry about people judging how you eat. I wouldn't look at someone sharing and assume they couldn't afford more food. If I thought anything I'd think they didn't want to have food left over.

We share all the time too. I'm a light eater and he is trying to be. Shoot, often times we find that an appetizer is big enough for us to share. lol

No one is really paying any attention to what others are eating unless they are trying to figure out what they want and decide yours looks good. lol

I often share meals with my family as well and I've never felt "bad" about doing that. In honestly, I doubt other guests notice when people share meals. Most of the times, I think folks are concentrating on their meals and their family/group and don't really pay attention to who is eating what at the next table.

Absolutely. We usually buy 2 meals and split between the 5 of us (2 adults and 3 kids). We usually have food left over!

We always share. The kids also share. Our reasons are more about waste but I like not feeling stuffed- harder to tour that way too.

The Plaza Inn fried chicken meal is our favorite meal to share.

I hate that the Plaza Inn goes into refurb the day we arrive. I was looking forward to eating there again. We live cross country so do not get to DLR as often as WDW so not sure when we will be back.

Due to health issues, I only eat a very, very small meal, 2 to 3 oz's. My DH and I will be in DL in May, and sharing meals will be the only way to make this work. And no, I won't feel about it.:thumbsup2

I must be so into my food that I don't even pay attention to what others have on their plates? ..except to maybe think "ooh that looks good". There's nothing wrong with sharing meals, whether it's to eat less than the portion or even to save some money. I wouldn't worry about it OP!

I frequently split entrees at TS restaurants like Wine Country Trattoria in DCA. It might feel a little uncomfortable sometimes but I've never had a CM give me a hard time nor have I ever felt judged. At Steakhouse 55 I let them know we'd be sharing the ribeye and they brought out two halves on two separate plates for us. I wouldn't worry much about sharing and order however you like!

Like many others I like to share the fried chicken at Plaza Inn. It makes room for snacks around the parks (churros and ice cream)..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter