Do you rent out your points yourself or use a points broker?

Do you rent out your points yourself or use a “points broker”?

• I prefer to rent them out myself

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • I prefer to use a points broker

Votes: 48 47.5%
  • I don't plan to rent my points

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters

DVC Mike

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Do you rent out your points yourself or use a “points broker”?

NOTE: Somehow, any discussion of renting points can quickly turn into a divisive conversation. Please don't let that happen. Let's have an interesting and helpful dialog in a friendly and respectful manner. I will try to present what I think is a fair and balanced view in this post. I have no hidden agenda. I'm just presenting my thoughts. So, let's keep this discussion interesting and engaging, shall we?

Personally, I have never rented out my points. I bought them for my vacations at Disney and apparently haven't got tired of going to Disney multiple times a year - year after year.

However, sometimes DVC members are unable to use all their points, either because they can’t take time off for a vacation or perhaps want to take a non-Disney vacation, and/or they’re looking for a way to offset the cost of annual dues. So, instead of banking the points, they choose to rent out their excess points.

If I had excess points, I would try to rent them out.

THE EVOLUTION OF DVC POINT RENTALS

In the early days of DVC, renting points was purely a private transaction between two individuals – the DVC owner and the renter. Both the owner and the renter had to handle all the legwork and due diligence themselves.

The very popular DVC Rent/Trade Board on DISboards was created to act as a sort of “classified ads” section to bring DVC members who had excess points together with people looking to rent points and save a lot of money – getting deluxe rooms for a moderate price.

In recent years, renting points has gone from relatively uncommon to a bit more mainstream practice. The DVC Rent/Trade Board on DISboards continues to pair up owners with renters.

In 2005, the first DVC “points broker” sprang into existence.
WHY WOULD AN OWNER USE A POINTS BROKER?

A points broker not only helps bring together owners looking to rent their excess points with guests wishing to book a reservation, they also require much less legwork by the owner – saving the owner the time it takes to talk with prospective renters, and from having to handle all the questions and issues that may occur with a rental transaction. It just makes renting your points more convenient.

A well-established points broker does a lot of advertising on the internet, and typically has more renters than points, so you may rent your points out faster as well.

WHAT ARE THE DOWNSIDES TO USING A BROKER?

The downside, of course, is the points broker doesn’t do this for free. They take a cut or portion of the rental proceeds as payment for their services. So, you won’t get as much cash for your points as you would if you rented them yourself.

The other difference is you’re pretty much locked into the standard payment plan the broker uses.

If I did rent out my points, I would likely use a broker, as the small fee is worth not having to bother with everything the broker will take care of for you.

WHY WOULD A RENTER USE A POINTS BROKER?

A potential renter is not required to do all the due diligence and precautions (noted in the DVC Rent/Trade Board sticky posts) when using a points broker. In fact, they can't do any due diligence, as they don't know who the owner is they are renting from. You work directly with a broker, and they take care of everything for you. It's almost like you're calling up Disney reservations and booking direct with Disney.

Except it isn't. Renting DVC points – whether directly or via a broker – still involves some risk. The risk is that the owner the broker is dealing with can still be flakey, and the renter could find themselves without a reservation. That risk is what gets the renter the great deal. If a renter wants more protection and stronger assurances, they can pay twice as much and book directly with Disney.

I believe many people looking to rent DVC points mistakenly believe that using a points broker somehow magically protects them from any risk. Despite the fact that using a points broker may feel like a more secure transaction, brokers don’t really give renters any more protection in the event of cancellation than using an owner directly. They do provide a guarantee that you won't lose your money.

A points broker offers more assurance than renting direct, but there are still risks - perhaps not losing your money, but of losing your reservation.

IS THE VOLUME OF RENTALS SHIFTING FROM INDIVIDUAL TRANSACTIONS TO BROKERS?

Despite the volume of individual transactions we get through the popular DVC Rent/Trade Board here on DISboards, I think the point brokers do a lot more volume these days than the volume of individual transactions.

It will be interesting to see the poll results from this thread. I would think that among those DVC members who know nothing about DISboards, a very high percentage use a points broker.

Things have changed. As I stated above, in the early days of DVC, renting points was purely a private transaction between two individuals. However, now, I believe that using a points broker is becoming more the standard rather than the exception.

WILL DIRECT RENTALS BECOME MARGINALIZED OVER TIME?

All this makes me wonder if direct rentals with individual DVC members will become more marginalized over time.

Yes, there are various DVC members who have been renting out points for years, and have established a solid reputation and relationships with people who would rather rent than buy.

However, more and more, other individual owners without that network who want to rent direct will have to compete on price. If I, as a non-member, see VGF available from a broker at a certain price and also available from an individual DVC member on the DVC Rent/Trade Board for the same price – which would I choose? I would surmise the average person would pick a broker, for the perception of security.

The only way the average person would go with a direct transaction with an individual DVC owner would be if it cost less. That’s why I sometimes see some DVC members complaining about people trying to get a bargain deal and offer a lowball price.

True, individual owners will most likely get repeat business from past satisfied customers. But unless they compete on price, will they draw in less new customers?

I think the point brokers own a large enough market share to collectively own the point rental market. They are, in fact, market makers who set the floor and ceiling prices for DVC rentals. Individual DVC owners have to set their prices based on the brokers.

The brokers just need to keep point rental costs less than paying Disney direct for a room, and high enough so that DVC owners are incentivized to use a point broker, while maintaining a healthy margin of their own.

Others will say that the point brokers won’t have points from new DVC resorts (VGF and PVB) to rent, so due to the law of supply and demand, owners have leverage and can raise prices, but I think that’s an incorrect assumption.

Remember, the average Joe DVC Member doesn’t know about the DVC Rent/Trade Board, and when he uses Google to rental he will discover and turn to a points broker to rent their points.

And there are a lot more average Joe DVC members than there are active DVC members on DISboards (despite the large size of the DISboards membership). All those Joe DVC members are going to use a points broker to rent their points.

So, points will be available from the brokers. Individual DVC owners won't have the market cornered.

Just like big, cheap Wal-Mart stores come into a neighborhood and competes successfully against small family businesses, so too will the large point broker companies come to dominate the point rental business.

An average Joe Renter will chose an established company with a web site and a full sales staff to answer their questions at any time - over an individual renter who doesn't have a dedicated staff and web site - unless the individual renter offers a lowball cost, or superior service. there has to be some differential.

OK, I've laid out my thoughts.

What do you think?

Pretty much covered all the bases with this post Mike. The opportunity cost in terms of time when renting points directly cannot be discounted. For me, paying a points broker to free up that time is well worth the cost.

I have done both and fortunately both have gone off without a hitch. I will say that I definitely have preferred going through David's and in the future will go this route again.

I have done it both ways but find that going through David's is much easier and much less time consuming and the staff at DAvid's is a joy to work with. All future rentals will go thorugh David's.

I have done it both ways and David's is easier. Now I am at a point where I only rent to friends so I don't use David's anymore.

RENT out my points???? No WAY! I have tons of fun using my 500 points!!! The bigger my family gets the more I need 'em!!! :cutie:

The one time I rented out my points I went through David. It was simple and I'd do it that way again. I think the amount of money he takes to shield me from "possible stupid renter questions" is worth it. I rented my points because I wasn't going to use them (and needed a Summer HHI reservation which I got from David rather than risking the seven month window there) - not because I want to play travel agent to someone who wants to change their room requests, or see if something is now available at a different resort, or ask me questions about tickets, or wonder if they can put seven people in a one bedroom, or add a night or move the reservation by a week two months out because "Austin has soccer," or can I wait to get paid because money is a little tight.

And I know that MOST renters are not like this, but its a risk that I'm willing to pay to pass on.

Due to illness I had a surplus of points. I used David and was able to rent my points even those in holding! I wouldn't want to do the due diligence myself.

I rented points a few times ( just have 300 points between AKL SSR and BWV) and found Davids most convenient.

I rent out a lot of points each year and always do it myself. I have no problem renting out points and could easily rent more if I wanted to.

Wow, interesting thread!

At this time, I don't see myself ever renting out my points. We go to WDW every year & look forward to our trips.

However, if for some reason I needed to rent out my points, I would go through David's. I feel comfortable with David's because I have rented points from him and the process was easy and went the way I expected.

Your poll needs a forth option. Both. I have done both. In the beginning I used Dave, just to get the feel of it. I have now done it myself. If I have a time crunch, points needed to use up, I have put them up on both and whoever comes up first I take. This happened last time and ended up splitting half with Dave and half private.

Over my 21 years of membership I have rented out about 6,000 points on my own and about 2,000 through David's.

David's is SO MUCH easier! IMO renters think it is safer going through David's and will pay the higher prices. I still end up with a good markup on my cost for renting out points.

David's has made several errors on reservations requiring me to go back and spend time fixing the reservation due to their mistakes, but it is still easier then educating a new renter on how things work

We had 150 banked points that were/are going to expire and could not find any friends/family or neighbors that would take them for free. So we were at the point of giving up and losing the points, but then we said lets contact David's and see if we could sell them in this very short timeframe. Well - all I can say is David's ROCKS - they sold our points within 4 days of listing them with them. Yes, we had to contact DVC and make the reservations, but we ended up with some $$ for our points that we could not give away and were almost going to lose. David's was super easy and well worth the 10 minute conversation with his staff. Thanks David !!!!!

We had 150 banked points that were/are going to expire and could not find any friends/family or neighbors that would take them for free. So we were at the point of giving up and losing the points, but then we said lets contact David's and see if we could sell them in this very short timeframe. Well - all I can say is David's ROCKS - they sold our points within 4 days of listing them with them. Yes, we had to contact DVC and make the reservations, but we ended up with some $$ for our points that we could not give away and were almost going to lose. David's was super easy and well worth the 10 minute conversation with his staff. Thanks David !!!!!
Well ok if next time none of your friends will take them for free, consider me a new friend..:love1: LOL
But I am glad Dave was able to help you.

So, looking at the results so far, for those of you who do rent out their points, you prefer to use a points broker rather than renting them yourself by a 2-to-1 margin.

Always a rentee and never a renter... Have done both renting and transfers direct with members. Never through a broker.

If I, as a non-member, see VGF available from a broker at a certain price and also available from an individual DVC member on the DVC Rent/Trade Board for the same price – which would I choose? I would surmise the average person would pick a broker, for the perception of security.

Perception of security, maybe. Reality is otherwise.

First, that VGF reservation is almost certainly cheaper from the individual owner. Probably 1-3 dollars/point, so hundreds cheaper for your average reservation.

In the history of this board, there is one cautionary tale of an owner trying to scam for money, and even then, she wasn't the real owner (her aunt was) and it seemed clear she was trying unsuccessfully to balance the spinning plates of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Compare that to thousands of successful transactions and your chances of being scammed are something like .0001%

Now add in a few safeguards like only renting from a poster with an established posting history and not paying until you prove the confirmation number and renting from individuals you meet in the forums is very safe.

So far as losing a reservation from a flaky renter, the brokers don't protect against that, as a few high profile threads recently proved.

So, to use a broker means you are paying hundreds of extra dollars for a perception and not a real value of protection.

But it gets worse.

The real issue with brokers is flexibility. There is none. They cannot afford to make exceptions because it would hurt both sides of their model. It's easier for owners to use a broker because it's no hassle. Making exceptions create hassles. And just let one exception leak to a forum.

"You let the pregnant lady on Disboards reschedule, why not me?!"

Using an individual owner allows a personal relationship with that owner, and that owner doesn't have to consider what being flexible can do to their business model.

I've been on both sides of the rental market. As an owner, my contract spells out that, within reason, I will work with a tenant to make changes to maximize their experience.

As an owner, renting my own points means being paid up front. I don't have to wait until the trip to get the balance of my payment. If a broker rents your reservation for 10 months from now, you're stuck waiting for final payment for almost a year. No, thanks.

Plus, helping someone get a great deal for a once in a lifetime trip to WDW is almost like spreading pixie dust. I like doing it. I like the relationships I'm building.

Building a good relationship with an owner means paying hundreds less and getting far more flexibility. Building a relationship with a tenant means getting paid more and all up front.

I wouldn't use a broker. Why pay hundreds of dollars to a broker for no real extra security and for far less flexibility?

Last edited:
We rent our extra points each year by word of mouth. Several of our guests are repeat renters.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter