Do you Rent a Car OR use DME & buses? Why?

Rent a car or use DME & buses?

• Rent a car

• Use DME & buses

Results are only viewable after voting.
We've done both rental car and DME/bus, and we don't plan to ever rent another car again.

Maybe it's because we stay at Pop Century, which has its own dedicated buses, but we couldn't ask for better service.

We were there the last week of May, right after Memorial Day when the crowds were high, and we almost never waited more than 15 minutes for any bus. Most of the time it was just 5 minutes. When we left the MK right after the Electrical Parade, we were briefly worried about the massive crowds we saw. The bus queue was overflowing and backed way up. But they had two busses at the Pop Century stop, and another bus right behind! We were actually on our way in less than 20 minutes.

Now, to be fair, we're just as happy to take a bus to Art of Animation and walk across the bridge, as we are to catch a Pop Century bus, so that likely doubled our chances of getting a bus in a timely fashion.

And when I think about the hassle involved in getting to the Magic Kingdom by car and wasting all that time on tram and ferries/monorails... :eek: When I get on the bus at Pop Century, twenty minutes later I'm walking up to the bag check at the Magic Kingdom.

Plus, I really enjoy meeting other people on the busses. Every now and then bus drivers lead sing-a-longs or quiz people. It's fun!

We use DME and buses. I'll also gladly pay for a taxi if we find we really need it.

Driving is the last thing I want to do on vacation.

I think it depends on the time of year. We rent a car to get from TPA and keep it for the week. We drive to AK. Get there early and have primo parking w/AAA diamond pass. Same with Epcot. Always take bus to MK. Went to DHS, had a dinner ADR for Boma, took the bus to AKL ate dinner and took bus back to DHS for Osborne lights with our car parked in a nice more front spot.

However, if it were summer, I'd tend more toward the busses, they are already nice and cool and I cannot imagine getting into a hot car...in Florida...in the summer. Had friends that drove to Disney this week and they have been taking the buses for this reason...avoiding a hot car. So, it depends.

This thread just proved to me that (at this point) 27.05% of us prefer to be where WE WANT to be, when WE WANT to be there. :thumbsup2

Have never rented a car as of yet. The reason we have never is simple. For every trip we have taken so far we have stayed on property and our vacation was literally WDW. We didn't go to any other area attractions. We didn't feel the need to rent a car....if we aren't leaving property why not let someone else do the driving? It is vacation....it can also be a vacation from driving haha.

Have never rented a car as of yet. The reason we have never is simple. For every trip we have taken so far we have stayed on property and our vacation was literally WDW. We didn't go to any other area attractions. We didn't feel the need to rent a car....if we aren't leaving property why not let someone else do the driving? It is vacation....it can also be a vacation from driving haha.

That is my thinking too :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

We're driving anyway, so we'll have our car. I'd rather drive my car from my hotel directly to where I'm going than have to wait on the bus and have 15 stops in between, and probably stand the entire time.

After parking and walking, and sometimes having to take a tram and a ferry, I'm not so sure driving gets you there significantly faster than the bus that takes you right to the entrance.

On my first 3 trips, I used Disney transport. On my last trip, I rented a car. I'll never go back to Disney transport. Here's why.

1. I'm always guaranteed a seat. This is particularly nice at the end of a long day.
2. I don't have to deal with other people's kids (or in some cases, parents) having meltdowns on a long bus ride at the end of a long day.
3. I can park closer to my room than the bus stop is located.
4. I am an AAA member and always arrive 45 min before RD, and other than at MK, where I park isn't much further than the bus stop.
5. Driving is usually faster than taking the bus.
6. I don't have to budget crazy amounts of time to get from one point to another.

In general, I like having control over my situation and I feel like I have more control with the rental car. I enjoy the peace and quiet of being in my "own" car. Disney World is really very easy to navigate.

Rental car every time (technically 99% of the time). I LOVE driving around WDW property and having the ability to go where I want when I want. :drive:

The other 1%, there is only one way I won't drive to a park now and that is taking the boat from WL to MK and back. DW talked me into it last trip and I fought the idea as I consider part of my WDW experience is going on the monorail to the MK entrance. But after using the boat from WL on our last trip, we will only use that form of transportation when we return. We did also take the bus from MK on two nights and had the whole bus to ourselves both times while all the other buses were jammed to the gills. So WL is the ONLY resort we would use the boat(preferred) or bus.

JD

We've never rented a car. We usually have one bus wait that is longer than what we would like, but I'll take that for the money it saves. We have done a cab once or twice for dinner reservations, but will gladly do that as renting a car for 6 is very expensive.

For the first time, last trip we drove and had a car for the duration of our trip. It was marvelous. It made getting to other resorts super easy, and made eatting at other resorts much more convenient. We found we saved a ton of time getting to and from the parks as well. We love having a car with us!

We used ME and busses for our first several trips. We then took a trip with a rental car because we got a really good deal. I haven't set foot on a Disney bus since and can't imagine ever doing so again. I ride public transportation every day for work (usually subway). It isn't magical. A car at WDW is awesome.

The bus service can be great but it can also be unpredictable, hot, crowded, and time consuming. An ADR at another resort can eat up 2 or 3 hours in round trip transportation. The car lets us operate on our own schedule. We always have seats. We are morning people and so are usually close enough to the front of the lot that we don't even think about a tram. Sometimes I think we are closer than the bus stop. Plus, if you stay at a value, you can usually park mere feet from your door.

I voted for rental. We just got back from a week stay and we stayed at Windsor Hills off-site. Driving around to the parks was very easy as everything is very well marked (it is Disney. It's their job to make it easy!!). We were rope drop people and we only had to leave our house 15 minutes before we wanted to be at the entrance at Epcot, DHS and AK. MK did add the monorail stop, but my kids were so excited to ride on the "cool train", that it was worth the extra few minutes so they could experience that. When my kids were ready to leave, all we had to do was walk to our car. Guaranteed seats. And we never hit any traffic. We're from Chicago, so we are used to crazy traffic. Driving around Disney was a breeze!

Oh - and we also had an ADR at the Poly and walked around AoA. Again, left 15 minutes before our breakfast at the Poly and then drove a few minutes over to AoA after that. Resort hopping was so much easier in a rental.

No buses for us moving forward! We liked being in control of when we wanted to leave. :)

We typically use Disney transportation. I will say that I prefer to stay at a resort with multiple modes of transportation so I am not limited to the bus. We just stayed at the Yacht Club and it was nice to chose either a boat or walk to both EPCOT and Hollywood Studios.

However, if my situation were different, I would probably consider a car:

1. It is just my DS13 and I. I don't have to worry about younger children, strollers, extra bags of supplies (we travel light).
2. I have yet to have an issue getting to an early ADR. I don't mind getting early to having the extra time to take in the atmosphere with few people around. Our last day we had an ADR at 8:40 at Tusker House. We arrived at AK about 8:00. Between pictures and walking we had plenty of time to just enjoy instead of rushing and still were seated early. If I had negative experiences with this, I would switch to having a rental.
3. A couple of times we used Mears transportation to go to Sea World/Universal. For just two people, it is cost effective to go this route. If I had a larger family, it would be cheaper to rent a car.
4. I enjoy that after a day in the parks, I don't have to drive. Sometimes I have had to stand, but I also have the choice to wait for the next bus if I am in dire need of a seat.
5. I have never felt that I lost out on time in the park because of travel time using Disney transportation. However, I have been there several times, so I don't have that "once in a lifetime" pressure.

I suppose if you can get the rental for free, it would be nice to have the car there as a back up. That will give you more flexibility to decide if you should use the car on any given day or Disney Transportation. You may find that using the bus system is better for MK, but a car better for DTD.

And when I think about the hassle involved in getting to the Magic Kingdom by car and wasting all that time on tram and ferries/monorails... :eek: When I get on the bus at Pop Century, twenty minutes later I'm walking up to the bag check at the Magic Kingdom.

We drive to AK. Get there early and have primo parking w/AAA diamond pass. Same with Epcot. Always take bus to MK.

MK did add the monorail stop, but my kids were so excited to ride on the "cool train", that it was worth the extra few minutes so they could experience that.

Am I understanding correctly that, at MK only, you have to take a monorail or ferry from the parking lot to the park? It's not directly connected as it is with DHS, AK, and EPCOT? So it may be easier to use Disney transportation to MK and a rental car for the other 3 parks?

It all depends on where we stay. Monorail or Boardwalk area, we use busses. Moderates, Kidani, okw, ssr, we rent a car. Values we did not but next time I would. The values have the worst bus system.

We'll be flying into Orlando and have always used DME in the past and then the buses from CBR to the parks.

We've never rented a car before, but DH might be able to get a free rental through his work.

Is having your own transportation that much faster than the buses? Or is the parking and walking to the parks just as time-consuming as waiting for a bus?

What has your experience been? Is it worth it to rent a car?

Other than MK you will definitely save time driving to the parks. You could save as much as a half hour each way driving to AK. For MK you'd be better off with Disney transportation or taking a cab to Contemporary then walking 3-5 minutes to the park. If the rental is free I'd definitely do it. Worst case scenario you have a free rental car you don't use.

Am I understanding correctly that, at MK only, you have to take a monorail or ferry from the parking lot to the park? It's not directly connected as it is with DHS, AK, and EPCOT? So it may be easier to use Disney transportation to MK and a rental car for the other 3 parks?

Correct. Although you can cab to Contemporary then walk to MK (but have to find a way back to the resort too).

we have always flown to Disney and used DME, that being said my parents live closer and drive so we have use of a vehicle but may have used it 3 times over the last 4 trips. We do usually have them pick us up from the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter