Do you regularly use disposable plates?

How often do you use disposable plates?

• The majority of the time

• Just for food on the go (pizza, sandwiches, etc)

• Just for picnics or barbecues

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
I rarely use disposable plates. I have service for 12 in both my regular and formal china, so I only use disposable at home if I have more guests than that. I do use disposable when we camp, but I feel kind of guilty. We grill out all summer long and still use regular plates. I don't understand how some food is worthy of a real plate and some isn't :confused3. Even if I'm just having pretzels, I put them in a real bowl first.

I don't like the waste disposable plates cause. That's not a judgement, just a fact. We pay $2 a bag for garbage and I can't imagine how much extra garbage disposables would create. We recycle everything we can and our facility won't recycle any soiled paper.

LOL - OT but I thought I was the only one who noticed my neighbors who don't recycle. I mention it now and then to my husband, who laughs and basically tells me to mind my own business. But I can't help noticing anyway!

As we drive down our street on pick up day, it's impossible not to notice. :rotfl:

o

If this topic is just upsetting to me, then why are you still on here explaining the perils of using paper plates. As they say pot meet kettle.

I get upset, because it has been implied that we paper plates users are lazy, and our food must not deserve real plates. God I loathe the Dis, I don't know why I am still on here.

I'm not upset at all. :)

"Still on here"? This is my 3rd post in this thread (I think, I haven't actually counted). ;) :laughing:

YOu guys are going to love me. I don't recycle either.

Confession: Me neither. But it never occurred to me that my neighbors may be judging me for it by scanning my trash at the curb. One of the funniest things I've ever read on the Dis. :rotfl2:

Confession: Me neither. But it never occurred to me that my neighbors may be judging me for it by scanning my trash at the curb. One of the funniest thing I've ever read on the Dis. :rotfl2:

No scanning here! Either you have the yellow topped bin at the curb, or you don't!

Confession: Me neither. But it never occurred to me that my neighbors may be judging me for it by scanning my trash at the curb. One of the funniest thing I've ever read on the Dis. :rotfl2:

Again, why?

I don't think it's that my food deserves a real plate, it's that I already own a lot of very nice plates and don't know why I'd buy other plates on a regular basis. I really enjoy my plates, I picked them because I love them...my kids like picking out what colour to use (it's fiestaware), and I even enjoy hand washing them when I get the time. And how's this for the other end of the spectrum, I wash my son's plastic spoons he takes in his lunch and keep them until he loses them. I only have to buy one package a year.

I don't think it's that my food deserves a real plate, it's that I already own a lot of very nice plates and don't know why I'd buy other plates on a regular basis. I really enjoy my plates, I picked them because I love them...my kids like picking out what colour to use (it's fiestaware), and I even enjoy hand washing them when I get the time. And how's this for the other end of the spectrum, I wash my son's plastic spoons he takes in his lunch and keep them until he loses them. I only have to buy one package a year.

we do the same thing!!!! DD brings the spoons/forks home and they get washed and re-used!!!!:)

we don't even buy them - we save and use the ones that come in take out. Can't throw those away either!!!:rotfl::)

We use paper plates regularly. We only use paper plates - no plastic/paper bowls or cups, plastic utensils, etc. We are a family of five. My three children are at the ages where someone is always hungry, and we always have a house full of teens and preteens. Eating and drinking is almost a nonstop activity around here. Even with using paper plates, something is always in the sink - popcorn bowls, cereal bowls, cups, utensils, serving dishes, etc. I keep the paper plates in a basket on top of our water cooler so that all of the kids(mine and their friends) have easy access to them. Since we have started using paper plates, all of the kids are more independent with their eating and cleaning habits, and the constant use and flow of the kitchen is more managable for me. Call me lazy if you have to, but paper plates help make my day to day life easier. Even with using paper plates, I feel like I am in the kitchen constantly. I do not even want to imagine what kind of pile of dishes I would have in my sink day after day with a house full of teen boys - just the thought of the constant sound of slamming cabinet doors and sweaty hands in and out of my cabinets looking for dishes makes paper plates worth it to me. I have a dishwasher and run it once every two days. It fills up quickly with cups, bowls, utensils, serving dishes, plates, etc.

We're only using paper plates right now because we're having our kitchen remodeled. We have access to nothing, so it's a lot of take out that have to be eaten on paper plates. Washing dishes in a bathtub? Um, no, we'll take the paper plates over that any day. I can't wait to get back to real plates and real utensils.

We never use paper plates. I even bring out my china to use whenever possible, even if it is just for Sunday dinner. I don't find plates and silverware to really take that much time to wash. The pots, pans, and cooking items like my garlic press take much longer. I'd guess it takes 3-5 minutes for the plates/silverware.

Which is why I'm glad that in our town people who refuse to recycle will pay more to get rid of their household waste. :thumbsup2

that's a great idea!!!! :)

I read on the other thread that some places charge extra TO recycle??? That is backwards - people should be encouraged to recycle!!!!

Which is why I'm glad that in our town people who refuse to recycle will pay more to get rid of their household waste. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 I wish ours did!

My neighbor across the street just added TWO MORE bags to her garbage pile. How can two people make so much garbage when they both work all day and go out for dinner every single night?? :confused3

No, I'm not spying on her. My computer faces out the front windows, and her house is directly in my line of sight. :)

My husband is a paperplate junkie. I can't stand them. I think they make my food taste different. I know that is crazy and it is just perception. We do use them when our guests outnumber our dishes. Even outdoors, I prefer plastic and Target has some great options. I believe paper is likely more econmical when you consider all invested in washing dishes but I haven't done the math. Paper is alot of waste (this is only my opinion). I realize they are convenient and we are in a fast paced world. My environment is none slower than the next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter