Do you really need three hours at the airport in the early morning hours?

Canadian Girl

DIS Veteran
I have a 7 AM flight departure and I was told that my MDE pick up time is 2:35 AM. We have a very long layover in Toronto and will not get home until about midnight. As a result, I have decided to book a hotel at the airport for the last night. Most of our previous flights have been later in the day. Realistically, how long ahead would we have to be at the airport? Would the staff even be there at 4:00AM? Would two or two and a half hours but enough time? We are flying Westjet.

Last time we flew home from Orlando we had a 12:25 flight. MDE picked us up around 8:30 and we were sitting at the gate by 9:45. However, we did not have any bags to check, the line up to get to the check in with Air Canada was nuts and we were able to use a kiosk and avoid that line up. Security was quick, benefit of travelling with a kid was quick line there. I remember getting through and thinking "that's it? now what do we do!?"

My general feeling is that for most airports 2-2.25 hours is plenty assuming you have already checked in. If you have no bags to check you could even cut it as low as 90 minutes.

That said, I do think MCO is kind of nuts so I'd play it safe with 2.5 hours, because the TSA lines are unpredictable.

we were glad for the extra time at MCO - the TSA line took us an hour and a half and that was getting there at 3AM

TSA has apparently been really bad this year. We didn't find it much better or worse in May, but we went with the 3 hours and didn't risk it.
You could always book the Hyatt inside the airport. We've done that before and I could walk to the elevator and actually see what the lines looked like downstairs. It's definitely more expensive than some of the hotels out that way, but sometimes it's worth it for the convenience.

MDE always picks up 4 hours from your depature time for international and 3 hours for domestic. They do not want to be the reason for you missing a flight. If you want you can skip MDE and uber it or self drive, but for the extra 1\2 hour or so I would like to be safe with customs.

MCO is without a doubt the worst part of my vacation!!

On our last trip we were picked up the usual 4 hrs before and got to our gate as they started boarding, the time before I think we had about 30 minutes to grab food before they started boarding.
The only airports I have similar hatred for are Gatwick and LAX !!

We rent a car, and have always aimed to arrive at MCO 2 hours before departure and have never had a problem - and we have to return the rental, print our documents at the AirCanada kiosk (no checked bags) and head through security. We've always had lots of time to grab breakfast or lunch on the other side. We are usually departing in the evening though, if that makes a difference, I don't know.

On our last trip we were picked up the usual 4 hrs before and got to our gate as they started boarding, the time before I think we had about 30 minutes to grab food before they started boarding.

Exactly our experience last year in early December - grabbed something to eat, went to the gate and waited only about 15 minutes before boarding. It was about 1.5 hours through security. Absolutely packed. I've never seen it that bad. That was when we discovered that you can only use your Nexus card if you have it printed on your boarding pass - you can't just show it at security. Lesson learned for this year.

Funny you should mention Gatwick as I was just there this summer. I think it's much improved since I was last there, but then again I'd never been in the North Terminal before (Westjet) so maybe that's the difference.

LAX I definitely avoid. ATL too.

ATL is horrible. If you need a good connection airport, try CLT (Charlotte) - it's well-laid out and usually very smooth for security and such.

Funny you should mention Gatwick as I was just there this summer. I think it's much improved since I was last there, but then again I'd never been in the North Terminal before (Westjet) so maybe that's the difference.

LAX I definitely avoid. ATL too.

The North Terminal is lovely!! Everything seems so much more organised, it's very strange.
My husband and I are talking about going back to the UK to visit our families in the next couple of years and are actually considering flying into Ireland - or if I get my way Italy!!- and then getting a train to the South coast (where we're originally from). I'm thinking the extra travelling will actually be less stressful than having any contact with Gatwick!! Lol

We've never needed the whole 4 hours they give you for international pickups. We are always at our gate and waiting for at least an hour. But with that said, I'm the type who likes to be at the gate early just for my own peace of mind knowing we got there with plenty of time to spare. I wouldn't take the risk of not having wiggle room with the time we have to get checked in etc.

I think it really depends on a lot of factors....airport, time of day, if you're checking luggage, etc. a couple weeks ago, I flew from Toronto Pearson to California(DL!)... It was a 6:30 flight, so I know the airport isn't very busy at that time, and I was just taking a carry on bag and was able to just use the check-in kiosks instead of lining up. Also, I knew that customs doesn't open until 4:00am, so there's no point arriving before then. Rather than arriving at the airport 3 hours early like they suggest for an international flight, I arrived 2 hours early and still had time to shop, grab breakfast and sit at the gate for an hour.

We arrived in Toronto at 4:15am for a 6:30am flight and we were rushed to the gate and 90% off plane was boarded.
Swinging and TSA was really slow. Only had time for bathroom - quick stop.

I feel like speed is dependent on the US CBP. If a couple of officers are having a bad morning, things go slowly.

By and large though, I think the guys we get in Toronto are a decent lot.

On our last trip to Orlando (March), the security line was absurdly slow - until suddenly it wasn't. We stood in the line for an hour or so, and had barely made it past the point where they check boarding passes, and then all of a sudden the line started to move quickly. We were only another 10-15 minutes from that point. It was as though they gave up; when we got to the scanners they were telling people to leave shoes and sweaters on, and have everything else (cellphones, laptops, etc) packed in bags, which appeared to be subject only to a cursory scan. This was the regular line, not the TSA pre-check line. We took the Magical Express, scheduled 4 hours before departure time, and only had enough time at the gate to grab a quick bite to eat before boarding.

I'm not usually one to leave much extra time at the airport. On the trip down, we very nearly missed our flight out of Montreal (as in, the gates were closed and they were rebooking us when the pilot took pity and let us on), because we planned to arrive at the airport 1.5h prior to flight time, got there a bit later than that for reasons out of our control, and the lines at both security and customs were very, very long. Flying from Ottawa we usually aim to be in the parking lot somewhere between 75 and 90 minutes prior to departure. But even I would not leave less than two full hours at MCO unless they get the TSA situation under control. That's minimum. Three would not be overcautious. YMMV.

I have a 7 AM flight departure and I was told that my MDE pick up time is 2:35 AM. We have a very long layover in Toronto and will not get home until about midnight. As a result, I have decided to book a hotel at the airport for the last night. Most of our previous flights have been later in the day. Realistically, how long ahead would we have to be at the airport? Would the staff even be there at 4:00AM? Would two or two and a half hours but enough time? We are flying Westjet.

This happened to my Mom and I one time. We were at the airport at something like 4:00 am. No one at the check in desk until 6:00 am. That would not have helped with going through security! We just waited outside security for 2 hours for AQC staff to show up. Never again! We never use MDE to get to the airport. We will take a taxi and save that hour. Why do Canadians need to be at MCO an hour before Americans? We don't go through customs until we get to Canada. It is only security, same as everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter