do you really like your digital camera?

A note on terminology. Shutter speed is the time that the "shutter" is open, not how long it takes between pressing the button and the shutter opening.

Our Olympus C-3000 is VERY slow if you just aim and hit the button. The way around it, as with many digital cameras, I am sure, is to use the focus feature, then snap the picture.

As someone stated above, pressing the button down half way will engage the auto focus. Then, pressing the rest of the way will snap the picture quickly.

Ted

I will add that I got my Canon A85 for NO charge as my older A40 "locked up". It was 2 years old. This is about the only thing we have ever bought an extrended warranty for-it was through Best Buy. They said since they are not made anymore, nor repaired, that I get full credit toward any new one! Best $59 we spent on that warranty! Great new camera and a great upgrade! :D

Originally posted by helenabear
However, I wouldn't recommend it for everyone as it is a digital SLR.

I'm curious why you say this. I would think that the interchangeable lenses would be a plus. I have the 10D also and love it. I have a 28-70mm f/3.5 and a 300mm f/2.8.

Fuji S7000.

Great Camera. Give it a 12/10. Can use either SD cards or a microdrive for storage and can hold over 200 pictures at 6 mp definition.

Good optics, but no interchangeable lenses. IMHO, one of the top cameras for a serious amateur.

Originally posted by dreams91
If so, what kind is it? I'm wanting to find one that takes the picture pretty quick. I have an older Kodak 3600 and it takes too long to shoot the pictures. Drives me insane!!!!! I want a better one for my upcoming trip. Suggestions appreciated.

What you are referring to is shutter lag, which is innate to point and shoot digital cameras. Some deal with it better than others, but it's basically how the technology works. A digital camera is basically a computer. With a film camera the shutter-release process is mechanical, so there is no lag beyond any auto-focusing that may happen. With digital, your commands have to be processed by a tiny onboard computer. First the camera has to focus, then the onboard computer wipes the CCD (which is the digital camera's film) clean of the information from the previous photo before your photo is taken. Typically, the pricier a digital camera, the quicker the onboard computer and the shorter the shutter lag. Also many high-end digital cameras use the same CCDs and onboard computers as mid-range models and only add other features, so more expensive doesn't necessarily mean faster. The best thing to do is test the camera before buying. It doesn't do much good to test it shooting something stationary or any landscape type shots as shutter lag is not really relevant. Test against something moving. Or something the might move. 35mm digital SLR's have virtually no shutter lag, which is why I finally went with one (Nikon D70). I was tired of missing too many shots.

Originally posted by gometros
I'm curious why you say this. I would think that the interchangeable lenses would be a plus. I have the 10D also and love it. I have a 28-70mm f/3.5 and a 300mm f/2.8.
I only say this, because the average person who takes pictures would find this to be *too* much of a camera. SLRs are absolutely wonderful for me... I really do not mind that it is rather large in size and a bit cumbersome because the shots I get are well... you have a 10D so you know ;) I use a 28-105mm lens most of the time and we have 2 "cheapy" ones (a 100-300 and a 50mm I think, I rarely use them). This camera blew away any expectations I ever had of it, and I have some wonderful nighttime shots that no other camera I have used or a friend has had could even "touch" It's nice to take a nighttime shot w/o noise and the sky is actually a true black!!

SLRs are just so far beyond a point and shoot, that some would really not want or enjoy the camera. I am so not knocking the camera because it is amazing and I wouldn't give it up for the world, however I also know that an average person wouldn't get much out of it. Just like point and shoots aren't for me anymore... SLRs aren't for everyone :)

Well so far it sounds like most people are loving their Cannon's. I'll have to go shopping and check them out.

While I realize it will take time for the camera to take a pic from the time I push the button, my Kodak takes wayyyyy longer than most. I miss virtually every shot!

:bounce:

Iam new to the whole digital camera thing . But my DH bought me for our trip to Disney this last Sept.
It is easy to use and we got the best shots . It has a little dock that is easy to use and I can print off my pics in no time if I want to .

It is a KodakEasy Share DX4530 5.0 Mega pixel .

Now no making fun of me if this is behind the times for a camera :p

Originally posted by dreams91
Well so far it sounds like most people are loving their Cannon's. I'll have to go shopping and check them out.

While I realize it will take time for the camera to take a pic from the time I push the button, my Kodak takes wayyyyy longer than most. I miss virtually every shot!

:bounce:

I read great reviews on Canons plus I wanted a camera that used compact flash memory cards (cheapest type of memory) and AA batteries (I already have rechargeables and the charger) and the Canon fit the bill. Plus it has manual controls. But which Canon? There were so many it was confusing. Then I found an article that helped me learn about the different Canon cameras: Canon Powershot A60, ,A70, A75, and A80 Test Review
I decided on the A75 and just bought one a couple weeks ago. They have come down in price to $199 at most stores. I got it for that price at Best Buy, plus I got a $25 gift card for future purchases. I bought a 512mb Compact Flash card for $35 at Circuit City.

Great infor, we're in the market for one. How often do you shutterbugs replace or upgrade your cameras? Do you usually buy them locally or do you buy them over the internet?

I have an Olympus Stylus 410 and love it! 4+ megapixels, automatic everything, 8 different shooting modes, movie mode, it has complete flexibility of settings with plenty of automation. It took me a while to get used to digital photography, but after a few weeks I wouldn't want any other format. What I do miss, however, is the ability to use interchangeable lenses. This camera does not have the capability. I did invest in the largest storage media that I could find for the camera; 256K. I have taken and stored more than 400 pictures, and when you take vacations like I do, the ability to take and store so many photos is amazing. Very satisfied with this all-metal, water resistant camera!! I would highly recommend getting one!

:wave2:

Originally posted by northern michigan
Great infor, we're in the market for one. How often do you shutterbugs replace or upgrade your cameras? Do you usually buy them locally or do you buy them over the internet?

I bought my first digital camera on eBay in 2001 (Fuji 1.3 mp). Then I saw it for the same price in Walmart. So I made up my mind that next time I would buy in a local store, just in case there was a problem. The one I just bought is my second one....Canon A75 3.2mp.

I have a FujiFinepix1300. It's old, big and heavy to carry around. It's only a 2.0 and for somereason I can't get the zoom to work anymore. I am in the market for a new one also and have been clueless about what to get.

Luv my Canon Powershot S410. Its point and shoot, but it takes great pics and movies and is soooo small. And the stitch assist works so well.

:crazy:

Zurg, a DIS'er (not sure he is around anymore, have not seen him in ages), wrote a nice piece on Deb's site. It is a bit dated, by most of the basics are still very true. The links he has there to various sites, lots of review sites, are particularly good, give them a look too.

http://allearsnet.com/btp/digital.htm

So happy to see this thread and so many happy Canon owners. ::yes:: I have done LOTS of research and am going tomorrow to pick up my final selection - the Canon A75. The reviews seem very good and I like the option of the manual settings. I'm a little nervous about the picture delay but I know I'll get used to it and learn how to work around it (thanks for the tips posted here about it!) You have gotten lots of good links. I checked all of them out and some are more detailed then even a camera's typical manual. So much detail and so much information to take in but it helps you make an informed decision in the end. Hope you find one you really like!

It took me almost a year to buy my first digital and I finally picked the Fuji S3000. I love this camera. I had to stay within a budget of <$300, wanted a good optical zoom, and also wanted a camera that was easy to use for a first timer but could grow with me and had some manual functions. I bought it from HSN with one of their first time buyers promotions and got a super deal. I did however try out many models att he store to see what was comfortable for me.

Two things I am not thrilled with, but are minor for me and I can live with, are the size/weight ( with the 6x optical zoom it is going to be bulkier and heavier so the optical zoom was a priority for me) and how it takes sports photos. I am learning how to compensate for some of the shutter lag and some error is on my side through the nature of shooting sports so I am learning. Overall I love my camera and it is perfect for me, at least for now. I do hope to move up to a slr as I learn more.

I had a Nikon Coolpix, but did not use it too much. I found it too small to be functional for me. My aging eyes did not appreciate the teeny tiny anything. A friend uses it now and is totally happy with it.

I just picked up a Kodak Esyshare LS753 (5 MP). Talk about idiotproof!!!! It has a slimline which makes it very portable. The features are very easy to use. The viewfinder is quite clear.

I understand that the software is iffy, but will probably suit my compu-idiot level of function.

Out of all the ones I tried out in the store, this was the one that I could function without a hovering salesperson.

I've had a Kodak DX 4330 for the past 18 months. Basically I like it. Just wish it did better for indoor shots, but it is terrific for outside shots. Easy to use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter