Do you read the Obituaries

low-key

14001, 60056, 224
I quit, but I was going on line every Sunday and reading for the past week, but my curiosity I would open each one and try to think if I know them, then I would read what people said about them, and bottom line it took to much time, but I need to start again

I started reading them about 30 years ago because so many of my friends parents started passing away then.

Now it's my friends that are passing away, or their spouses. I've had 3 workers lose a spouse to cancer in the past 18 months, all under age 50.

When I read the newspaper which is a few times a week. I have lived in the same area my whole life so I'll frequently see someone I know either deceased or know a relative of theirs. Though I missed the obituary of my grandmother's neighbor this week and learned of her passing today when I visited my grandmother. These ladies had lived near each other for over 60 years. And the lady just sent over a pie when my aunt died in December. My grandmother was 6 years older than her and at 93 years old would drive the two of them to senior citizens gatherings because the other lady wasn't driving any more!

no, I don't. If someone I know passes away, I usually find out through word of mouth

no, I don't. If someone I know passes away, I usually find out through word of mouth

thats true but here what ya wouldn't find out , the girl you went to grade school with, or the lady you worked with in a different place . or lady who cut your hair when you were out of high school, no biggie not like your going to there fuerals, but its good to know, anit so

This thread and then a dead pets thread? Where's a simple "Songs that contain" thread when you need it ;)

This thread and then a dead pets thread? Where's a simple "Songs that contain" thread when you need it ;)

i was reading my "threads started", and there was really just to many "songs that mention" :laughing:, way to many, really :rotfl:

I'll be 66 this summer. I have a hard time accepting my age and mortality. I watch the obits because I am at an age where people are more likely to pass away. So far I have found no one of my age group. I have found some of my teachers and friends of my parents.

I sometimes think it is morbid to start ones day looking to see who has died. Sometimes I wonder... what if the first person of my age that dies is me? It's weird the things that one thinks about as they get older. So far I don't obsess over the topic but I have a feeling it's just a matter of time.

I don't fear dieing, I just don't wanna! ;) Yet, I do very little to hold it off, mostly because I don't think I can. We all die when we die. From the experience of watching the world around me, all of us will be alive until we aren't anymore.:confused3

I check the funeral home website pretty frequently. Working in a law office in a small town, often it will be an old client or someone else that the boss will want to send flowers or a card for.

Yep, every single day. I read the Reno Gazette Journal obits. We lived there for 20 years, don't live there any more but its the only place I "know" people.

My Auntie reads the obits everyday and she said my Grandmother was the same so I guess I come by it naturally. My Auntie lives in the same neighborhood she was born in, she knows just about everyone.

I feel like I need to. Imagine how awkward it would be if I died and no one told me! Seriously, I read my local ones sometimes. Don't know why, just a habit, I guess. I hate seeing young people passing away. Especially children. That just breaks my heart.

Yep, every single day. I read the Reno Gazette Journal obits. We lived there for 20 years, don't live there any more but its the only place I "know" people.

My Auntie reads the obits everyday and she said my Grandmother was the same so I guess I come by it naturally. My Auntie lives in the same neighborhood she was born in, she knows just about everyone.

my mom was the same. I always shuddered when we would talk on the phone and the first words out of her mouth were "do you remember..?" it got to the point where my first response was "why? are they in the police blog or the obituaries:scared1:?"

I read the obits in the town papers for where I grew up on at least a weekly basis. it keeps me up to date to some extent. that has changed though-it used to be an automatic/free newspaper submission as far as obits went, but now that some if not most/all newspapers charge for obituaries many deaths are unknown until the appear on Facebook or via the annual holiday letter:guilty:

No, but only because we don't get the paper anymore. I do look at the on-line news, but they only list the name, not the whole obituary.

Just this week I found out on facebook that a classmates wife of 32 years died and 2 other people that graduated the same year I did, but went to different schools had died. One had a heart attack and the other was murdered.

Yes. People fascinate me and I am interested in their life stories. I wish more of them would list the cause of death.

Yes, I work in a hospital so I am always looking to see what past patients have died.

I don't usually get the paper anymore and I don't check online, but if I did get the paper, the obits are the first section I turn to. I love reading them. I've been reading them since I was a teen. My friends used to think I was nuts. I always scan the last names first to see if any names pop out that I might recognize. Quite frequently I find parents of long lost friends in the obits.

We get a daily local paper (supporting the community is big on my list) and I read the obituaries after I check the police log and district court section. Usually they are on the same page, handy!

I work in our local school district, and it's a really good, close knit community. If I see a parent/sibling of a student I know mentioned in the police log, or a family member in the obit section, I'll pass that on to the appropriate guidance counselor. Then the counselor can check on the student to make sure he/she is OK, or give support if needed.

I also live in basically the same area as where I grew up so I do read them, and usually know someone or of someone (as a co-worker comments because I read my paper at the lunch table).

Yes. I want to make sure I'm not in it. Actually, I read 2 online papers obits everyday from places I used to live. Interestingly, I don't bother reading the obits where I live now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter