Do you power layout before a crop

Sarah .....what is vellum spray??? Is it a way to put it down with out the adhesive showing.....oh my where do I get it!!!!!!!

I hate to have the little dots showing through....

Mom2grace I will be looking forward to your post with the pics! Thanks!

I've seen that vellum spray, but it's so expensive I just skipped it. :( From what I understand, though, you do just spray it on the vellum & it then sticks to the paper/CS. Usually I just use eyelets to attach my vellum, but I have also used a glue stick on the corners & then put small die cuts over it - sort of like photo corners.

In my CJ I cut a ghost (Sizzix die) out of blue/purple vellum & then ran it through my Xyron. I really liked the way that worked! I don't know if it would have worked as well on clear or ivory vellum, but you couldn't see any adhesive with what I used.

It doesn't show too well in the photo, but I really liked the effect IRL!! Here's a link to that page: http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.asp?gallery=1&cmd=display&layout_id=634597&show=9

kewl page..the little ghost is really cute. Thanks for sharing

I have done what you do, glue stick or adhesive with another piece of cardstock to hide the spot. Looking for another way....using brads is easy too....I have never tried the xyron for this.Will do that as soon as I get a refill for it.

I have those 12x12 cubes wired into paper sorters, so I've started putting them in themes. All of my Disney items on one shelf, all of my cruise items, and so on. Some of the embellishments don't fit, so I put those in my parts organizer. That way, I at least have most things sorted before I head out for a crop. I just take that theme's stack and put it in a paper taker. I also sort ribbon by theme and have it clipped in mini-clothespins with a magnet on the back, so it's just a matter of grabbing the one I need off my magnet board and dropping it in my bag.

When I'm working on a client's album, I have a hanging file folder thingy (hangs flat, like a cascade) that I keep all their papers, embellishments, etc in that way, It's just a matter of folding that up and going to a crop. Very quick.

I don't journal at crops b/c I get tired of the table being bumped while I'm trying to write so I save most of that for when I'm home.

Oh my :( I ended up not getting any power layouts done as planned between being sick & other stuff all week. We were there from 8:30 (my fault we were late :( ) until 4:00...I got 4 whole pages done. :sad2:

I had so much trouble packing & then the message was relayed wrong so I took tons of stuff I didn't need (like the CM punches, cutting system, etc) and my bag ended up being so full of stuff I couldn't find anything. I didn't win anything & neither did DDIL - but her sister won 3 things!! :earseek:

I had a great time anyway - although I'm really shot now. I'm ready for bed! LOL I took all my Sizzix dies and other ladies were glad because they used them. Unfortunately, I never got around to cutting out anything that they'd brought. The only thing I cut was a title using my own alpha! LOL I could have stayed home & done that. ;)

But I did an awful lot of enabling while I was there. :teeth: Three people are looking to buy a Sizzix now, four people wrote down the URL for Creative Express ;), a couple decided that eyelets looked like fun & went home with the URL for Bargain Pack.... :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I did see the Perfect Layers while I was there. So now I'm thinking I'd really like to have that! Anyone get it from somewhere other than QVC?? Just wondering where to look....

If I go to another crop, I'm definitely going to buckle down & do some better planning - even if it can't actually be called "power layout" - ing!

Mom2grace...I upload my photos to photobucket.com....its free and then I post a link by copy/paste method in my thread here. Hope this helps because I really want to see your layouts.

Piratesmate.....glad you could continue the tradition of enabling. I have sent a good many girls to creativexpress lately.

Perfect layers can also be found in stampin up catalogs, at least thats were I think I saw it.

Cindy

Perfect layers is an exclusive item to QVC and it sells out almost every time it is on the air. I have had mine for two years and love it!

All right, all right, someone remind me what Perfect layers is... I think I looked at this tool once and thought, not for me, but WHY do you guys like it? It's funny, because I hardly ever use my xyron, but everyone else swears by them... I use my Carl trimmer, my scissors, my wire winder and my eyelet setters the most often of all my tools... almost everything else is just an occasional use item only.

Sarah

galtscrapper said:
All right, all right, someone remind me what Perfect layers is... I think I looked at this tool once and thought, not for me, but WHY do you guys like it? It's funny, because I hardly ever use my xyron, but everyone else swears by them... I use my Carl trimmer, my scissors, my wire winder and my eyelet setters the most often of all my tools... almost everything else is just an occasional use item only.

Sarah

I didn't actually see the girl use it - she just explained it to me & it looked great! It looks really simple - I think a woman designed it! ;) (just kidding) It was just a clear ruler with lines for how large you want your mat to be. She said you put your photo on CS, lay the ruler over it (the lines under it line up with edge of photo) & cut along the edge of the ruler!

I did go look it up on Google last night & saw some negative reviews. I didn't realize that you cut with an exacto knife - and I know many people have trouble using them. Some said that the ruler moves too easily & they got crooked lines. :confused3 I find that the CM shapes tend to move on me (I'm getting better though) .... I think that perhaps it's just a matter of practice with both. What would concern me more would be the knife cutting into the edge of the ruler. I've done that before over the years :rolleyes: when using an X-acto knife. Does anyone know if the ruler is a really hard plastic that doesn't succumb too easily to the knife?

Re: the Xyron...I was extremely disappointed when I first tried to use mine. I had adhesive everywhere, the CS split (half stuck to clear sheet & half to the bottom sheet), I had trouble placing things inside the "X" ..... After figuring out what my problems were I really like it! I use it mostly for titles, but use it with clip art, small die cuts and even used it on a small shaker box (on the foam). Now I wish I had a wider one!! (Hmmm - if I can find a place to store it, maybe I'll use that 60% Mikes coupon on one! :teeth: )

Yea, I went and looked it up on QVC, and I remembered that I felt like I didn't need it, because 1) My trimmer I can do the same thing with 2) My math is good enough that I don't need a tool to tell me the measurements, and 3) I almost always do a half an inch mat anyway... I have no use for the other sizes.
And you're right about the knife, but why should I spend good money for a tool when the tool I have works perfectly, and I don't get crooked cuts with it? That's my reasoning, anyway.
Now the xyron... it's just tucked away. I have a 510 that I like, but I forget to use it. I love shaker boxes, so may have to try the trick w/ the foam. I always use tombow mono multi glue for my shakers, just because it sticks so well and I don't have them falling apart anymore.

Thanks!

Sarah

that looks like a great way to get a lot done. It looks alot like color blocking but less trimming and filling in.

Nice pages too!
Great job and thanks for the handy tip!

cindy

Piratesmate
I was in target on Friday and they have the fold up wire shelves in the kitchen department. I think they are $5.99 or $6.99 But a nice size.

Spinning said:
Piratesmate
I was in target on Friday and they have the fold up wire shelves in the kitchen department. I think they are $5.99 or $6.99 But a nice size.

Thanks Spinning! Too bad I didn't check my computer one last time before I left this morning. I was right in the Target parking lot too. :( I was just in a hurry to get to my parents so I just used my 60% at Mikes & left. I'll look for them next time I'm down there for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter