Do you plan for *you*?

Baklava

DIS Veteran
So for DD(5) I've planned Jedi Training, Princess stuff right and left, Flights of Wonder (she's an avid birder), Disney Jr, a visit with her favorite Minnie... and the list goes on.

For DS (18) I've planned lots of boats, multiple trips on Star Tours and Big Thunder, breakfast with Stitch, buffets and time alone in the parks.

For DH, just being in Disney and sitting on a bench people watching is enough and I've planned that, alone time with each kid and not needing to be in charge of the schedule. I have arranged time for him to single rider RNRC since nobody will go on it with him and got FP for his other favorites or likely favorites.

For me... well, there's a certain joy in planning to make everyone else happy, but I looked up and realized that in half a year of planning, almost everything has been, "Oh! X will love this!" I chose one restaurant for myself specifically. Don't get me wrong, I will love the trip we have planned, but I never went, "and I will love..."

Do you do that? Do you plan things for yourself specifically? And if so, what are they? Maybe I need a little personal indulgence. :)

Do you plan things for yourself specifically?

Of course! You're not doing your family any favors by teaching them that moms have no wants of their own. Think about what you really love (or would love to try) and do it.

It's easy at WDW because we're all pretty much on the same page, but every time we go on a trip I plan things specifically for each person. For instance, my daughter doesn't love art museums, but I do, so sometimes I plan a trip to an art museum and everyone else happily goes along.

In WDW, none of us really have specific wants that are different from each other's, so I pretty much plan the trip that I want and everyone has a blast.

Yes. I include me! I have seen many people question whether their kids will love candle light procession and my response is always " I love it so we all do it!" I really don't have many different want and we don't go during this time too often so everyone sits through it. I do make sure we see Fantasmic every trip because its my favorite regular night time show, but everyone else loves it too so no biggie. I do take everyones wants into consideration and then make it work with our budget and time frame.

Everyone in my family - including me - gets to make a "must and maybe" list. This includes the one or two things most important to them, and a few others they are interested in. We do everyone's "musts" and then whatever "maybes" fit in best.

Generally, like someone else said, we pick a couple of MUST do's each. Also, if there is something one of is doesn't want to do but the other does, we each get the chance to make the other one do one thing (assuming it's not because of fear).

I'm the one that makes all the plans so I don't really plan anything that I don't want to do, I guess.

WDW is for me, then my DD, then DH & DS. Simply being there makes me so happy. Heck, I love the planning of it. DD(7) gets princesses and non-scary (not Space Mountain but other coasters are fine) rides, DH and DS(10) love the shows and Buzz Lightyear-type rides, and DS also absolutely loves the food ;) (he doesn't tolerate a lot of gluten so being able to have so many options everywhere we go really makes him happy). I don't need to schedule anything specifically for me because the entire trip is what I want - the whole atmosphere. I could probably just stand in the Hub all day, stare at Main St & the Castle with the shows and parades and be completely happy.

I did a lot of planning for dh since it was his birthday but I am sorry that I didn't plan a couple more things for myself. I wish I had planned a dinner at Rose and Crown but we did love Garden Grill.

I'm kind of like you...all I planned that was kind of for me was dinner at 1900 Park Fare...but I also think my whole family will love it!!

I don't reallly plan for me...but only because I feel like my family having a great time is what really makes me happy. So by planning for them, I am getting what I want.

Yep, no matter where we go. When my son and I go to Disney, he will do the FW at MK one night just for me. He doesn't really like them, never has since he was a little kid but now that he is grown (35) he really doesn't like them. He says it's worth it at least once a trip since I'm a huge Tink fan and he says he love the look on my face when she fly's over. He will even stand in front of me before it starts so no one can get in my way then move behind me just before she fly's. We we go on a dive trip I'm usually the one watching DH since he does video and keeping an eye on DS since he loves to just hover over the small stuff. I have to get between the two of them and keep both of them in my eye sight in case something happens or DH doesn't wander off without us. At least once a trip though they will both just hang around on the top of the reef for a while cause I love the pretty colors.

Of course! From our first visit with the pediatrician with our DS, she has advised us that it's important to teach your children that they are one member of a family: they are important, but so is everyone else in the family. So while our first trip with 2 yo DS is *definitely* toddler centric, you bet your bippy we're doing RS for mommy's thrill rides and some F&W booths. No signature meals though bc let's face it: a 2yo sort of defeats the purpose of relaxing and savoring fine dining ;)

I always try to chose something I want to do. It is often something someone else in the family also wants to do, but my needs and wants are important too and I really feel that is an important thing for my kids to learn. This upcoming trip we are actually letting my parents babysit one night so DH and I can go out to dinner on our own even. That being said I do include things like the haunted mansion, meals like Sanaa and other things that I want to do in our plan. If I am including things my kids want to do and DH wants to do I should include things I want to do as well.

The first trip I didn't since I thought it was a once in a life time trip. This past one, Food and Wine was for me. I loved it. Next trip, not sure what I will pick. :)

I always plan in a couple Fastpass+ that I like or a meal or two at a restaurant that I really can't miss. But its usually MOSTLY about my family. I'm the planner and it just works out that way. BUT, this trip (We leave IN THE MORNING....AHHHHH!!!!!) anyhow, this trip I planned an entire afternoon at the Yacht Club spa just for me to indulge while husband and son go off to do their own guy thing. First time I have planned in a big splurge of money/time just for myself, and I can't wait!

Yep! We plan for stuff with just DH and I, stuff just for me and so on. In fact, with PoTC, I knew DS would likely not like the drops but told him to suck it up, buttercup, it was mommy's favorite. He just grinned and actually really enjoyed it because he knew I wouldn't like anything too scary. :) Already planning some nice dinners for DH and I, F&W stops, and a tour of the Land. DH and I both get to pick rides. It makes it more fun for everyone.

Starbucks Venti java Chip frap--- strolling leisurely down main street is for me, or a drink sitting around one of the countries while the DDs color Duffy.

My must dos are simple.

Monsters Laugh Floor
All of Animal Kingdom
Fantasmic

I planned them but kids love them too. Only argument I get is for Laugh Floor, because no one wants to be picked on

Reading your post made me laugh. It never occurred to me to plan anything for me, but I enjoyed every minute of our trips. I enjoyed partaking in my family's joy and excitement, but also most parts of the trips were activities, meals, etc. that were enjoyable to me separate from my family's pleasure.

Yes, absolutely! There are some things I simply adore. I must ride Space Mountain and Small World. I LOVE the stores on Main Street. There needs to be room for everybody.

Reading your post made me laugh. It never occurred to me to plan anything for me, but I enjoyed every minute of our trips. I enjoyed partaking in my family's joy and excitement, but also most parts of the trips were activities, meals, etc. that were enjoyable to me separate from my family's pleasure.

Ditto!! I do make sure and give myself a vote in our ADR plans, but typically I pick what I know all of us will like not just one of us. So never really just for me. Although this time I really want to eat at CRT, just for the experience. Everyone else is on board and excited about it so hopefully I can get that ADR but I'm not going to stress over it since it's my pick....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter