Do you or would you...use a children's GPS in Disney?

Goin2Disney2006

Mouseketeer
DH and I were talking and he asked me what I thought about getting a GPS type tracking system for our 4 year old. It sounds like it might be a good idea. I can totally see her walking away to see something.

DH and I were talking and he asked me what I thought about getting a GPS type tracking system for our 4 year old. It sounds like it might be a good idea. I can totally see her walking away to see something.

Let me preface this by stating that I'm not trying to be snarky or anything.

What would you be doing that you couldn't keep your eye on a 4yo? Do you have a large family? Will you be going with a bunch of people where you could get distracted easily? Are you planning on having someone else watch them in the park (like older siblings)?

My wife and I went with our 4yo and 6yo and never lost sight of either of them. We did have wristbands with our cell-phone numbers on them, but I personally think a GPS device JUST for Disney is going overboard. If the 4yo walked away to see something, chances are you'd find them before you were able to go online and find them anyway.

My kids are like baby ducks... so I wouldn't need a GPS. They have a fear of me leaving them. :confused3 Like I ever would. If my youngest is walking I have the wrist band that connects to my wrist and his, so he can't go to far away from me, but I don't think he will be walking much.

But if it would give you a piece of mind, then go for it. There is nothing wrong with having a back up plan.

I think a child GPS is a great idea, as long as it doesn't cause you to become complacent.

I think it's biggest use is as a backup plan, if, God forbid, they should get truly lost or "grabbed" by a stranger. In those situations, it could be very helpful.

I have two runners, so we regularly use a wristband radio wave based child tracking system. We can set it to alarm if they get a certain number of feet from us, and I have with a lot of work trained my kids to stand still and turn around and look for mommy if it beeps. I have a parent unit that will "track" to their location. But it requires consistent practice to use. GPS tends to not work as well with little kids or kids w/ special needs (like mine) because it only puts you within 50 feet or so of the kid. Tends to work better with teens, etc. so you get a general idea of where someone is.

I can completely see why you would want a "safety net" system beyond just trusting your eyes at Disney or other public places. Some kids are great with staying with their parents, but other kids have a completely different personality, and are easily distracted away, or will run toward whatever attracts them. It doesn't make them "bad" kids, or their parents complacent or lazy. They're just different.

What would you be doing that you couldn't keep your eye on a 4yo? Do you have a large family? Will you be going with a bunch of people where you could get distracted easily? Are you planning on having someone else watch them in the park (like older siblings)?

My wife and I went with our 4yo and 6yo and never lost sight of either of them. We did have wristbands with our cell-phone numbers on them, but I personally think a GPS device JUST for Disney is going overboard. If the 4yo walked away to see something, chances are you'd find them before you were able to go online and find them anyway.

Well, I wouldn't get a GPS for my kids, but I have lost kids before. We lost ds6 for about 15 minutes on vacation once when he was 18 months old, and again at the mall (in the racks), ds11 at the Crayola Factory (they paged me - didn't know he was missing), and dd8 at WDW when she was 6 (turtletalk - kids sat by the door, we went to the end of our row as directed, door opened, kids walked out without us). Yes, we have a large family, and all of those incidents were when we had other adults, which I think makes things harder, because everyone assumes others are watching. Kids do get lost all of the time, and some kids are more prone to it than others.

We just got back and I used one for my DD (18 months) that I rented through Orlando Stroller Rentals (Big Leap GPS).

DD is a runner and a climber, and I'm paranoid. So yes, I did use one, and I'll willingly use one again.

Thankfully we didn't need their services, but it was more about my peace of mind than anything else. It totally depends on the personality of your kid. Mine would be gone in a second if she saw something to climb on (and there are quite a few of those at Disney!). I also spent a lot of alone time with just me and her when DH was golfing, so I wanted to have a backup just in case I was looking away for a split second, which is about how long it takes her to get out of her stroller.

If it's within your budget and it gives you peace of mind as a last-resort backup plan, then seriously what is the downside to having one?

It's like insurance. You don't want to ever use it but it's there if you need it. Honestly, the only problem I can see with using one is catching grief from other folks who feel it's unnecessary. Hopefully they're right and it is unnecessary. But if "your" child happens to fall into that .1% where it becomes necessary, then you'll be glad to have it.

Most of the arguments against having one revolve around not being a vigilant parent or finances. When it comes to our finances, it's my money and I choose to ignore those who would make different choices. When it comes to parenting, even the most vigilant parent can lose a child or have a child taken from them in a matter of seconds. The chances of your child being lost for more than a few minutes in an accidental wandering are exceedingly slim, but the possibility does exist and if you want to be covered for that remote chance, then you go right ahead. :goodvibes

Yes, we have a large family, and all of those incidents were when we had other adults, which I think makes things harder, because everyone assumes others are watching.

That's kind of what I was asking in my other post. When you are in a larger party it's easier to get distracted and loose sight of the kids.

No, I don't have a large family but a child can wander in the blink of an eye. I don't plan on taking my eyes off her but "what if"??? Your eyes can not be on them every second. What if I am shopping in a store, I stop to look at something and don't realize she got out and wandered away?

When I was last in Disney DD was only 1 and didn't walk so I didn't have to worry about it.

We have not been to anywhere like Disney with her so this a whole new experience for us.

Thank you for all your replies.

OP, I see that you have started 2 or 3 threads now about the "what ifs" of getting separated from your children, so this is obviously something that really concerns you. If this would give you peace of mind, then go ahead and use it and don't let what others think and/or say bother you.

That said... I, personally, wouldn't use one. For me it would be just one more thing to keep up with. Dh is not a Disney fan, so most of our trips are w/o him. I started out long before we went to Disney training my children to stay with me. Yes, they get distracted or I do, but they were always pretty good about it. I have been known to put everything back on shelves and leave a store with nothing because my girls wouldn't stay with me. When that something in the cart is something they really want, they soon learn to stay put. LOL!!!

I'm sure ya'll will be fine, too. Have a great time.

we have one and it is wonderful. it has so many uses and we have definitely gotten our money's worth. just having it has given me so much peace of mind. "zoombak" is an amazing product. really, it is so worth it. you just never know when something might happen that your child walks away or something.

what if you depend on it to be there if your kid gets lost, and it doesn't work?? I had a friend that bought a brickhouse and decided to test it before she counted on it. It only worked within line of sight. The kid went around the corner and it lost the signal. I personally would not rely on anything other than myself to keep up with my child b/c of the fact that technology can and does malfunction!

Op- In answer to your question- No I haven't used one in WDW and I wouldn't use one in WDW.
However, if it gives you peace of mind then use it. Just don't let it make you complacent. Have a great trip!

Really I was just wondering if anyone used them in Disney and if it would be worth it.

Like I said earlier, I don't plan on taking my eyes off her but I am definetely getting wristbands with our cell numbers on it.

OP, I’ve been thinking about your post. I have taken my kids to Disney 5 times each. They are now 3 and 4. Anyway, we have never had a problem. While I understand that bad people exist and that anything can happen, Disney is not all that different than other parts of the USA. I don't live my life in fear of other people, but I am constantly conscious and watchful.

The only places I advise extra diligence is the playgrounds, like the Honey I Shrunk the Kids in HS and Dinoland in AK. A CM told me she is asked about 20 times a day about lost children. I actually helped her find a missing boy... mom was at the bottom of the slides looking for him (go up with your DD). And the World of Disney Store is always jammed with people. And when going through Security at the airport, you go first, then kids, then DH. That way, the kids don't run away (that happened to one of my friends).

If you are in a store and worried, just pick up your DD or hold her hand. I think the bracelet with cell phone is a good idea. I actually never thought of that and may do it when we go again.

How dare ANYONE suggest that a parent is always lacking in attention if a child gets lost. They are no better..it just hasn't happened to them...yet. My son went up one side of the Boneyard play structure and though I thought I had a good vantage point of all the slides, he managed to get past me, his father, and the CM at the gate. My husband found our 3 year old non-verbal child an hour later happily shopping up the hill in Dinoland. We were terrified and living our worst nightare. Luckily, our story ends well but it is ludicrous to think that just because your little angel hasn't made it out of your site by now that they never will. If you would be more comfortable with GPS, go for it. Our runner is now 5 and has been to WDW 7 times. We've only lost him once..but that was more than enough. Sorry to vent but it really bothers me when some venture to judge others when they know nothing of the situations. If you would feel more comfortable with something to help you find your little guy, please do it. As I said in 7 trips we've only had one issue with our oldest (and none with our youngest) but it only takes once. Sorry if this came off strong. And this is not directed at all PPs...I know some have posted that they haven't missed anyone yet, but were undertanding of those who have. Again..some posts just hit a nerve. Sorry

How dare ANYONE suggest that a parent is always lacking in attention if a child gets lost. They are no better..it just hasn't happened to them...yet. My son went up one side of the Boneyard play structure and though I thought I had a good vantage point of all the slides, he managed to get past me, his father, and the CM at the gate. My husband found our 3 year old non-verbal child an hour later happily shopping up the hill in Dinoland. We were terrified and living our worst nightare. Luckily, our story ends well but it is ludicrous to think that just because your little angel hasn't made it out of your site by now that they never will. If you would be more comfortable with GPS, go for it. Our runner is now 5 and has been to WDW 7 times. We've only lost him once..but that was more than enough. Sorry to vent but it really bothers me when some venture to judge others when they know nothing of the situations. If you would feel more comfortable with something to help you find your little guy, please do it. As I said in 7 trips we've only had one issue with our oldest (and none with our youngest) but it only takes once.

If you meant my post, I wasn't suggesting that the parent is lacking attention when their child gets lost. I was just stating that I don't worry constantly about losing my kids, and giving advice about crowded places in Disney. Such as the Dinoland/Boneyard where you lost your son. That's why I said to go up with the kids... I've been there, done that.

I DID lose my DD at age 2 at a local zoo for about five minutes--the playground was very full of kids, and she ran out to see a peacock. Thankfully, I found her quickly.

Heavens no, not you. You offered advice on where to be extra watchful and thoughts on what has worked for you. It was other posts about how one should never lose their child that "ruffled my feathers". Sorry if you thought otherwise!!! :)

Heavens no, not you. You offered advice on where to be extra watchful and thoughts on what has worked for you. It was other posts about how one should never lose their child that "ruffled my feathers". Sorry if you thought otherwise!!! :)

The holier that thou attitude really bothers me at times too. Hopefullyl I didn't come off that way as it was not my intent. It is just that i really don't trust these things to be a backup as I have seen them fail! I personally wouldn't depend on one to help me find mine if I ever lost her. She is old enough now to find a CM and give them my cell number so that is our contingency plan. That way I can find her without depending on a locator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter