Do you or someone you know have/had high Cholesterol/Triglycerides?

Fish oil, coconut oil, olive oil, are good for cholesterol. Animal fats often get blamed, but really hydrogenated fat and stuff like margarine are worse. Avoid processed food and processed carbs. Almonds can help raise good cholesterol, so can exercise. The ratio of bad to good is more important than the numbers themselves, although a lot of doctors don't even tell you your ratio.

QTF! What worked for me is switching to a low carb-high fat-moderate protein diet.

Due to diabetes, celiac sprue and Hashimoto's thyroiditis, I've eliminated grains completely...no wheat, corn, rice, oats, etc. I severely restrict legumes (1/8 c serving only) and fruits (eat berries only). I eat a LOT of non-starchy vegetables, but no potatoes, peas or corn (which I consider a grain). I don't eat soy, peanuts or shellfish due to intolerances. I con

cholesterol - was 207 now 161
HDL - was 37 now 53
LDL - was 136 now 89
triglycerides - were 169 now 86
BP - was 106/71 now 104/62 (BP has never been a problem)

and my A1c dropped from 7.3 to 5.2. I no longer take medications to help control blood glucose.

Other things that may raise triglycerides include: smoking, birth control pills, various medications, drinking too much alcohol.

so basically, as others stated - exercise, limit fat and sugar in diet, and stop drinking or smoking (if that applies to you)

I don't smoke or drink. I don't take birth control but I do take a few medications. (Toprol for a heart arrhythmia and Prilosec for acid reflux)

Maybe chia seeds could help you. There is also this omega 3 liquid I add to my smoothies - from Costco. It is lemon meringue flavor and tastes great.

I did switch over to cholesterol lowering Smart Balance with plant stanols in it. But that blog post was linked says you should NOT EAT ANY margarines or vegetable oils because they cause cancer. But there were no experts cited or
links to articles about this data. Just a blog post. The article said you should only eat real butter and eat plenty of red meat and eggs. Which is the opposite of what I do. I don't eat ANY meat or Eggs ever. And I switched over to the Smart Balance because about once a week I eat a baked Potato with margarine and Cheese. So I bought the 2% Cheese.

But I was curious where all the data came from for that blog post that said vegetable oils cause cancer.

I did switch over to cholesterol lowering Smart Balance with plant stanols in it. But that blog post was linked says you should NOT EAT ANY margarines or vegetable oils because they cause cancer. But there were no experts cited or
links to articles about this data. Just a blog post. The article said you should only eat real butter and eat plenty of red meat and eggs. Which is the opposite of what I do. I don't eat ANY meat or Eggs ever. And I switched over to the Smart Balance because about once a week I eat a baked Potato with margarine and Cheese. So I bought the 2% Cheese.

But I was curious where all the data came from for that blog post that said vegetable oils cause cancer.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/there-is-nothing-smart-about-smart-balance/

http://blog.wellfedfamily.net/2011/10/21/nourishing-traditions-seminar-weekend-part-i.aspx

http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/the-oiling-of-america

http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease/myths-a-truths-about-cholesterol

Sorry, but I can't answer your questions about margarine causing cancer. I have no idea. I can tell you this: there is no need for butter or margarine. Neither one is healthy. Or let me say it this way, there are a thousand other food items that are much healthier than both butter and margarine. Nobody needs them just like nobody needs ketchup or BBQ sauce. Your potato (which is a VERY healthy food source) doesn't become healthier because you added butter or margarine. The idea that margarine is "better" than butter because it has plant sterols is ridiculous. Plant sterols are found naturally in plant based foods. Instead of suggesting that people eat more plant based foods, companies are now manufacturing plant sterols to add to food. It is never good to get your nutrients from manufactured items when they are readily available in everyday food.

Do you not like eggs and red meat? Neither are bad in moderation. Actually your white potato with cheese and margarine is worse for your triglycerides than a little lean red meat or an egg. White potatoes are very high on the glycemic index and will raise your blood sugar significantly and affect your triglycerides. I wouldn't worry so much about 2% vs full fat cheese.

Do you not like eggs and red meat? Neither are bad in moderation. Actually your white potato with cheese and margarine is worse for your triglycerides than a little lean red meat or an egg. White potatoes are very high on the glycemic index and will raise your blood sugar significantly and affect your triglycerides. I wouldn't worry so much about 2% vs full fat cheese.

I don't eat meat because I am a Pescatarian. (I only eat Fish and Shrimp) I don't eat Eggs because I don't like them but they are high in Cholesterol. One egg has 200mg of Cholesterol.

2 of those are actually more blog posts and one of those blog posts actually implies that HIGH CHolesterol is not bad.

And the other 2 come from The Weston Price Foundation who claims having a Cholesterol level of 350 is no more harmful than having a normal/low cholesterol level. That it being harmful is a myth.

I don't eat meat because I am a Pescatarian. (I only eat Fish and Shrimp) I don't eat Eggs because I don't like them but they are high in Cholesterol.

You honestly might benefit from a session with a licensed nutritionist. You'll get someone who can help you create a meal plan tailored specifically to your dietary needs and likes.

The idea that eggs are high is cholestrol is kind of misguided. They do have a good amount of cholestrol but not to the point that they should be avoided for that reason. They're a great source of protein and you can reduce or even eliminate the cholesterol by eating none or only part of the yolk. As an example, you're better off eating an egg on a breakfast plate than you are the buttered white toast or the hashbrowns.

2 of those are actually more blog posts and one of those blog posts actually implies that HIGH CHolesterol is not bad.

And the other 2 come from The Weston Price Foundation who claims having a Cholesterol level of 350 is no more harmful than having a normal/low cholesterol level. That it being harmful is a myth.

Yes, I am familiar with the sites I posted! It's late and I am on a teeny iPhone screen typing with my thumbs, I just have you what I could think of off-hand. If you would like more scientific studies, I can see what I have time to put together tomorrow. And you will notice that the Weston Price foundation does not promote all cholesterol, but says that naturally occurring cholesterol is not harmful. For example eggs and shrimp.

Google the Mediterranean Diet.

Lots of fruits, veggies, olive oil, seafood...not so much shellfish ...preferably salmon, nuts and even a little red wine is ok.

As others have stated stay away from carbs and sugars. Also, "low fat" food are loaded with extra carb. Meat and eggs won't be a problem for you, if you don't eat tons of carbs. If you don't like the taste of eggs, no problem, but in a low carb diet, eggs are not a problem and cholesterol levels usually will drop.

YOu mentioned Niacin. OMG, this stuff is horrible, it causes "flushing" kind of like hot flashes, only you itch as well.

I think the problem is with the food pyramid, way too many carbs. and trust me, those Cheerios won't lower your cholesterol, all marketing hoopla. Stick with real food. NO cereal, (full of crapy stuff). No processed stuff, no margarin, no low fat fake food. Olive oil is good as are avocados. Certain nuts are very good. AGain, stay away from sugar and fake food and carbs and you should see good results. ALso don't eat too much fruit, loaded with sugar, yes natural sugar, but still sugar and it can cause problems.
Not a professional, just from personal experience.

I can't believe it's not butter.

So are you suggesting that your mom switched from I Can't Believe it's not Butter to a margarine that says it lowers cholesterol on the label and her cholesterol made a noticeable drop? And she did absolutely nothing else - change in diet, medication, or exercise in that time frame? If so, I would call that.......unbelievable! I would think Pfizer would have jumped on making a margarine pill by now since so many people taking their Lipitor are finding that it isn't lowering their cholesterol enough.

The problem with the "studies" that show a specific food item lowers cholesterol (or helps any other condition) is two-fold. For starters, it is almost always funded by the manufacturer. That taints the results and should be thrown out right there, imo. Second, it is rare that people are monitored outside of the initial instructions (start using a tablespoon of this margarine per day). It doesn't factor in any other changes in their lives.
The OP'er might be a good example of this. She asked for suggestions and the few things she specifically mentioned were margarine, beans, almonds, asparagus, and Cheerios plus niacin and red yeast rice. If she incorporates even half of those things into her life and she notices a drop in her cholesterol, who can say it was only one of those things? Isn't it more likely that she is making a conscience effort to watch what goes into her mouth, and maybe eating some asparagus with dinner or nuts as a snack prevented her from eating a piece of cheesecake later in the evening? Was it really the nuts and asparagus or was it the things she stopped eating?

Thanks for all the helpful ideas and suggestions. I definitely have a lot of researching to do to find out what might work for me. But I do agree that adding products that claim to lower your cholesterol are not as important as things you STOP eating.

Like I said for me I know 3 weeks before I had my cholesterol test I had a piece of FRIED Fish almost every day and had started eating sugary cereal in the morning.

I have never been a cereal person my whole life but last month I got a craving for some cereal and I ate it every day. I also don't normally eat the FRIED Fish so that was a definitely change for the worse in my diet.

I don't eat much sweets or junk food from fast food places. I don't eat chips or Ice cream. I don't eat Meat or Eggs. I limit my bread to only whole wheat and only every once in awhile. I only eat margarine once a week when I have a baked Potato because I just cannot even imagine eating one without it.

I eat a salad every day and instead of using Italian dressing I am going to start using 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil. From what I have read it is suggested to have 2 TBS of it every day.

I have started back taking my Fish oil supplements and I am going to start taking Red Yeast Rice and I found some FLUSH FREE NIACIN. (I use to take Niacin b/c the ear doctor said it could help my Tinnitus- it didn't. But this was back before they made flush free Niacin and I got the severe flushing and redness and hot flash from it. That's why I searched for the flush free kind. I haven't gotten it yet so I do not know if it really is flush free. I also read that once your cholesterol is back to normal that you should STOP taking the Niacin. I don't remember why.)

Hopefully in 6 months those things will help lower it enough to be in the normal range again.

I have never had bad number on my blood work. My counts and cholesterol and things are always normal until this time. And I immediately though of the changes to my diet and the crap I had been eating the last few weeks prior to the test.

The cholesterol lowering margarine may or may not help but if I plan on eating it anyway why not eat the stuff that claims to do something good!

I know I would rather not have to go on cholesterol meds because from what I have read they are very hard on your liver. Fixing one problem and causing another problem.

If y'all think of anything else let me know!

DH has had high cholesterol and triglyceride levels for years. Trig in the 500's. This runs in his family. So, after trying many, many things, he is finally in good range for all cholesterol and trig levels.

He found that following weight watchers has helped. He is not officially on the diet right now, but still follows the principles of it. He was on a very low carb diet for a while years ago. I don't remember if that worked. Weight watchers works best for him. He also takes fiber pills every day. Also, prescribed fish oil, which is different from the otc. He takes some cholesterol lowering meds. I don't remember which ones right now He has tried several over the years. He took niacin for a while, which helped, but then I think it quit working. He exercises regularly.

Hope you get things worked out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter