Do you notify your resort of Disability?

hellokittiemama

Mouseketeer
I usually talk to the person at the desk when I check in about our room requirements, I'm wondering if I should call and note it on our reservation?

I think it's a good idea to call them, I guess it can depend on what special requirements you have.

I usually talk to the person at the desk when I check in about our room requirements, I'm wondering if I should call and note it on our reservation?

If you need special room or bed yes call them back. If you need scooter then can call outside scooter rental if need delivered to resort for when you get there so that you have it for your whole trip.:cool1:

Whenever I travel I request an accessible room (but not the roll-in shower) with raised toilet and grab bars at the tub when I make my reservation. Actually my hotel chair profiles show it as a requirement. However, that tends to only go through as a request, so anytime I make an online reservation I follow it up with a phone call so it is changed to a requirement.

There is no way I would go to any hotel and let them know of special needs at arrival. I have even been known to, in the middle of a road trip with an AAA Book and freebie Interstate Guide in hand, contact a chain reservations center less than an hour before arrival to make sure I can get an accessible room. This is for an intermediate stopover and not the destination, where I already have a reservation.

Yes, do call and make sure it is noted on your reservation specifically what you need (ie VIP cleaning due to allergies or whatever). Be aware that occassionally there is a screw up in which the cleaning or whatever does not take place until you check in. We found this out the hard way on our last trip and it was a pain. It was handled though.

I always do for DS. He has autism and a quiet room is a must for us. I am willing to walk far, if need be.

It depends on what your needs are.
In our case, we need to have an accessible room with a roll in shower. If we waited until check in, chances are there would be no room available.

If your needs would be very easy to meet, like first floor in a 2 story building, you may be OK waiting until check in, but would be safer doing it when you make your reservation.

If you don't need anything special and just wonder if you should tell them about your disability, I would suggest not.

I always let them know what my needs are when I book. You don't have to give your diagnosis--just tell them what you need for a comfortable and safe stay. I need grab bars, a raised toilet seat and (when I am solo) definitely first floor (in case of fire--the elevators don't operate and I couldn't get down the stairs by myself.)

Thanks, I did call them. My son is autistic and my daughter has vision issues. Both kids have seizures. Thanks for the advice to call ahead of time so I can put the request in for a more ideal room.

They are great at every resort we have stayed in they helped us out. We need first floor my wife can't do elevators and also has a bad ankle so can do stairs but suffers for a long time if she climbs too many. I have never had a problem but always call a couple of months ahead then 2 weeks before we arrive then the day before just in case. I recommend checking on your reservation like I do we have had to correct changes (we didn't ask for) a couple of times

Where are you staying. We like OKW because it is quiet. In order to avoid end of the day meltdowns we like a quieter resort. The atmosphere there is so relaxed that when you arrive you can actually feel the stress leave you.

Absolutely yes. If u need a handicap room Disney puts it on HIGH PRIORITY. I have to do it and they have NEVER failed me.:hippie:

I don't need a handicap accessible room, but I need one in a quiet area.

We are staying at AKL this trip. My children (and I) are very excited about it.

I don't need a handicap accessible room, but I need one in a quiet area.

We are staying at AKL this trip. My children (and I) are very excited about it.

While there are typical louder areas at all WDW resorts, mainly near the public areas, there's really no way WDW can get you a 'quiet' area. There's no way they can know the habits of the people in the rooms next to you.

We've stayed at many of the resorts at WDW, and we've been in sections that you would think would be quiet, and had the noisiest neighbors, or loud people out in the halls at 2 AM, etc.

One thing we noticed at AKL was that the toilets were very loud when they flushed - we could hear the ones above and beside us all night long. I think AKL has the loudest toilets on property!

Could you bring a white noise machine from home to mask the sounds coming from the other people at the resort? Definitely request a room away from the lobby and pool area, but be advised that the walk to the buses is going to be a long haul if you are down one of the more 'quiet' wings.

I stayed at both ASM and PC and requested a room near to the desk, pool area, due to leg problems, I was told they couldn't tell me, but would try. Needless to say I was in the first building, but be aware, it is still quite a trek to ;the rooms and up the stairs, as all the elevators are on the far side of the building, where 2 buildings connect.

I stayed at both ASM and PC and requested a room near to the desk, pool area, due to leg problems, I was told they couldn't tell me, but would try. Needless to say I was in the first building, but be aware, it is still quite a trek to ;the rooms and up the stairs, as all the elevators are on the far side of the building, where 2 buildings connect.

The area you described is a preferred room location, and WDW charges a premium now for that location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter