Do you need new furniture?

Just got a new couch 2 days ago, our old one was falling apart , unstitched and stuffing coming out of it, it was pretty embarrassing.

Most of our furniture is going strong.
I did find the perfect hutch for my dining room recently, but the finish doesn't match our table. At all. I'm seriously considering refinishing both pieces to match, but I've got to do more research first. If I think it's beyond my abilities, I may hire someone to refinish them.
I am looking for a loveseat/small couch for the family room. I'm really hoping to find an older couch that I can recover. Other than our leather couches, most of the "new" furniture we've purchased over the years was garbage that just didn't last. I've just about given up on buying "new."
My favorite purchase was a bedroom set at an estate sale. Over 60 years old, and it had only two small scratches near the bottom of the dresser. DH had to adjust the bed frame to fit our queen mattress since it was a full. We knew the family who were selling, so I had no worries about the cleanliness of the furniture.
I love the set. The finish is ebony, the drawers are HUGE, it looks brand new, and I can guarantee it will last until I'm long gone... :) :) :) Oh, and the dresser, chest, bedside table, and frame only cost me $400. Score!

Last edited:
YES and we have to get it. We are selling our house very soon and our LVR furniture is done.

We buy used from CL, flea markets, and garage sales however I think we are actually going to buy something NEW this time.

Family room furniture is about 12 years old and is starting to look shabby. Living room furniture is practically untouched and looks fine.

I'm afraid to buy new family room furniture because of the cat. Surprisingly he leaves the living room stuff alone, probably because we yell at him if we catch him in there.

Yes. We made the mistake of buying bonded leather sofas in 2012. The "leather" is already peeling in the spot my husband likes to sit.

Thank you for letting us know to avoid bonded leather sofas. sorry that happened to you. I wonder if the Costco leather sofas are bonded?

Yes, but it's not happening. I am too college poor right now. Our family room couches are 17 years old. I still LOVE them. They are very high quality pieces, but the fabric is starting to wear out. One cushion actually has a small rip. I flipped it over and moved it to the couch that gets the least use. The piping on all the cushions is worn. Rather than get new ones, I'd like to recover what I have because they are still structurally really good.

DH and I need a new mattress and would like to upgrade to a king. We are in a holding pattern about it now though because our beautiful 4 poster rice bed is a queen. We can't afford a new bed right now. I should start scouting Craig's List for a king 4 poster bed!

We also need new carpet. I just keep cleaning it and fluffing it. Nothing looks totally terrible yet. Overall our house still looks very nice.

Yes...I am quoting myself. So last night after I posted this I looked on Craig's List, and I found a king 4 poster bed frame very similar to the queen I need to replace for $60. It's located in my town. The owner is moving and had to downsize. DH said to call and set up a time for us to look at it. It isn't a perfect match but close enough. Now if this works out, we'd just have to start saving for the king mattress and box spring.

sure do...but not getting it. We did however, FINALLY replace our 28 year old mattress a few months ago.Splurged on a set of new sheets too!:snooty: lo.l wait! I did pick up a clearance adirondack chair for $30 that I refinished and have used 3x's thanks to the rain we had all summer, lol..so I guess we did buy some new furniture. The *newest* piece we have outside of the mattress is our t.v., bought in '04. I refuse to count the washer we had to replace a few years ago lol

We definitely need a new sofa. We have an L-shaped sectional, with a queen sofa bed in one side, that I bought new in 1999 for $1200. It's been wonderful, but we don't really have any chairs so it's where everyone always sits, so it's seen a lot of wear. The support is lacking, so on the side without the sofa bed, we've folded up a foam-eggcrate-mattress pad under the cushions. The upholstery is a woven/brocade floral, and the raised threads are wearing badly; the burgundy roses are taking on a decidedly pink hue. The backrest cushions were originally stitched across the top to attach them to the sofa, but that's not the case anymore. It's just pretty much done. Unfortunately, my minivan just died (2007, gonna cost about $1500 on top of the $1900 we put into it this spring, and will still need front brakes and about $2K in rust repair if we want it to pass inspection next spring) so we are looking for a new-to-us vehicle, we need to replace 5 windows before the snow flies, we're about 75% finished rebuilding the deck, and DD's school loans will go into repayment in November... so I am thinking I'll just keep throwing those $5 fleecy blankies from Walmart over the furniture, and suck it up.

We replaced a few things earlier this year because with the kids getting bigger, we couldn't all sit on the old sets easily. Plus we were getting company so it was a good time to spruce things up. The old couch set was moved to the basement and we got a good deal on a closeout sectional. My grandparents old kitchen table also moved to the basement to become the new craft table. We got a nice wooden kitchen dining set used from CL. DH & I need a new mattress at some point but are prolonging that purchase with a foam mattress pad. Otherwise, we don't need anything for a very long time! *knock on wood* A lot of our hard pieces are family hand me downs and in great shape, despite being pretty old. We need new siding and a few more windows so those will be our next "big" purchases.

I replace furniture quite often I guess. We have had two sets in our living room in our 13 years of marriage. I will be moving that stuff to the basement in the next year(that is the stuff prior to this stuff and looking a little rough after 13 years) and replacing it. We had ordered new furniture/tv for our media/family room. I was finally able to get it yesterday:cool1: Our dinning room furniture is 10 years old, but in perfect condition so that is good for a bit. Our kitchen table is 9 years old and will be next to replace after our living room stuff. Our bedroom stuff is good too and only 13 years old. I don't see replacing it anytime in the next 10 years. Not worth it when it is solid and in good condition and nobody sees it anyway!! I find it took me a little while to find my style and the stuff I first bought after we got married I didn't care for after a few years. It has worked out well with just shifting it into the basement because I don't feel like we are just dumping it.

We definitely need a new sofa. We have an L-shaped sectional, with a queen sofa bed in one side, that I bought new in 1999 for $1200. It's been wonderful, but we don't really have any chairs so it's where everyone always sits, so it's seen a lot of wear. The support is lacking, so on the side without the sofa bed, we've folded up a foam-eggcrate-mattress pad under the cushions. The upholstery is a woven/brocade floral, and the raised threads are wearing badly; the burgundy roses are taking on a decidedly pink hue. The backrest cushions were originally stitched across the top to attach them to the sofa, but that's not the case anymore. It's just pretty much done. Unfortunately, my minivan just died (2007, gonna cost about $1500 on top of the $1900 we put into it this spring, and will still need front brakes and about $2K in rust repair if we want it to pass inspection next spring) so we are looking for a new-to-us vehicle, we need to replace 5 windows before the snow flies, we're about 75% finished rebuilding the deck, and DD's school loans will go into repayment in November... so I am thinking I'll just keep throwing those $5 fleecy blankies from Walmart over the furniture, and suck it up.
Sorry about your vehicle problems And needing to replace windows. Yeah furniture must wait.

No, not really. We bought our dining room set when we got married and I don't expect we'll ever need to replace it - it's solid wood and pretty timeless in style. I wouldn't mind recovering the chairs and will probably do that in a couple of years. Our living room and media room furniture are pretty nice, both couches are leather so they'll last for a long time, and all our other pieces are relatively new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter