Do you lock your suitcases?

PoppyAnna

DIS Veteran
I 've heard horror stories on other boards re: general US travel that suitcases can be broken into if they are locked and security choose to search your luggage.
Does everybody still lock their luggage?
Is there anything you don't pack as a rule? I would like to pack some healthy snacks for my girls and my food doctor seeds, shouldn't be a problem, should it?

We don't lock our cases - but we do put cable ties on them instead.

Julie

We prefer to lock our cases and bought the official TSA locks which the American authorities have a master key for (saves them breaking the lock if they decide to search them). We got them in Asda but I believe that you can get them in B&Q aswell.

Tracey

In 2005 some friends of ours went to Florida and locked their cases and security broke the locks so they could search them.
We are going this year and have bought those special locks that can be opened by security without damaging them, we got them from a bag shop but I have also seen them in Asda.
Sorry can't help on the food front.

We've had a lock on my daughter's case broken by TSA but it's no big deal.

I have read on these boards in the past that even TSA approved locks have been broken open so you may as well use cable ties, they're cheaper. :thumbsup2

David

We use cable ties :thumbsup2 harder to get into than most locks:rotfl2:sometimes takes us 1/2 hout to get into cases when we get there.TSA cut them open then seal them with a green one,they should put a letter in explaining that they were oppened
Paulh

We use cable ties :thumbsup2 harder to get into than most locks:rotfl2:sometimes takes us 1/2 hout to get into cases when we get there.Paulh

Tip: put a pair of nailcutters in a sidepocket - but don't use a cable tie on that pocket!

Julie

We had one almost new case ruined when this first started because the lock was broken by TSA. Since then we don't lock but do use lockable luggage straps with the TSA bit on them. Last trip every case was opened and searched on the way home (they leave a lovely little message saying they have done it). Better to have some security than none and better not to have to replace the cases.

We lock the cases with TSA locks too. We have had our cases opened a few times and the locks just shut again. We also got the lovely note too!!

We always lock, but with the TSA locks. We have one suitcase that has an internal locking mechanism, so that one is never locked with a lock, but it is locked with the TSA approved strap. That way they won't break the suitcase, via the interal mechcanism, trying to get into it.

Our others are zip-lockable ones, and we just put the TSA locks on them. We ordered ours from a website someone on here suggested. Best thing is they are bright green, so we know which is our black suitcase amongst all the other black suitcases come baggage claim!

We don't lock our suitcases, just put cable ties more to stop the zips from coming undone than security.

I hope i am not going to regret saying this as we are travelling tomorrow never had any problems/Losses.
:cool1:

I hadn't even thought about this :rolleyes1 Thanks for the asking question and some great ideas :dance3:

Been using the TSA locks for quite a few years now. We have had our cases opened about three times, all with a note left in.

To leave the cases unlocked can invalidated your insurance I think.

A lot of people do use cable ties.

never locked them, never will! not worth the risk of having them broken open and have never had anything stolen either.

Been using the TSA locks for quite a few years now. We have had our cases opened about three times, all with a note left in.

To leave the cases unlocked can invalidated your insurance I think.

A lot of people do use cable ties.

It is unlikely that not locking suitcases will be used as a reason to invalidate an insurance policy, it may be used as a reason to reject an individual claim but with a reputable insurer even that is unlikely as otherwise you would have to put TSA approved locks on them to the states as otherwise they will be broken off. You have to demonstrate reasonable care, and once the case is checked it should be deemed as secure, although we know there can be problems with baggage handlers.

I work for an insurance company and do not lock our cases as we carry on any valuables. If they want to steal my underpants they are welcome to them.:rotfl:

Unlocked cases but with a luggage strap wrapped round secured with a TSA lock and cable ties. Never had cases opened.

I only pack clothes in them, anything electronic is carried in hand luggage which I feel has stopped the luggage looking dodgy in xray. Knowing my luck the cases will be opened this year.

We are taking three suitcases and a holdall none of these can be secured with cable ties. The two samonites have key locks each side and a three dial combi at the handle, I will leave these unlocked and along with the holdall will only pack clothes in them. The third case will contain some clothes, all our toiletries, gadget chargers and any snacky foodstuffs we wish to take, this case will then be secured with a tsa lock (purchased today) therefore if any case is under suspicion it should be this one and it can be opened.
Thanks for all the advice.
Getting prepared for this holiday has been hard work and expensive with all the little hidden extras to buy like todays tsa lock....extra buggies, booster seats aarrrggghh the list is never ending.
Can't wait to get there now just to convince to the chief planner/organiser (me) that it was all worth it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter