Do you like going solo?!?

gabzee

DIS Veteran
This is going to be the first time that I am going solo at Disney (I'll only be solo for a day and then the rest of the group will be there). I was just curious if you ever feel lonely or awkward. Also, how are dining situations. I would like to eat at TS for dinner and a breakfast at Cape May or 1900 Park. Do you ever feel like everyone is looking at you or something like that? This is just uncharted territory. I'm sorry if these are stupid questions. Thanks!

Trust me, you'll love it... it's addictive! You can do whatever you want, when you want to do it. I never feel awkward eating alone, but I do try to sit at the bar when I can. Enjoy!

I'll be by myself from Sunday afternoon until Wednesday morning when I leave to go home. I've never gone to WDW by myself before, so this will be a bit different. I'm trying to embrace it though; I'll get to do whatever I want when I want; I'll get to eat what I want, when I want, etc.

Yes, I've always enjoyed going solo. DH and I go once a year, and that's enough for him. But I've got more of a WDW addiction, so then I take a solo trip. You'd be surprised how many people are temporarily solo-maybe the family is back at the hotel, sick, gone elsewhere, etc. I remember one time at Biergarten, there was a man sitting at our table who was solo. Since I often go solo, I was especially trying to make him feel comfortable. Turns out his family wanted Italian food, but he really liked German food, so he was "solo for the moment." Lots of people like that!

The majority of my trips are solo and I enjoy them very much. I can do whatever I feel like doing. I also enjoy dining at all the restaurants and I never let the fact that I am alone prevent me from doing so. Go and enjoy yourself.

I guess I am practically oblivious to other people but I have never noticed anyone giving half a hoot whether or not I am traveling solo. I don't even think they have a thought about it.

That said...I do feel a little (only a little) strange if I elect to ride a more "kid" oriented ride like Peter Pan or Snow White. It does seem odd to be without family or kid. I justify it by just telling myself that everyone will think I am with either the people ahead or the ones behind. The only time it becomes obvious is when I get to loading and they ask "how many in your party" and I have to say...one! But still, no one seems to care and any feeling I have I am pretty sure is imaginary.

Just go...do what you want and don't even think about it. I am pretty sure that no one else is judging or has the time to worry about what you are or are not doing. :)

Totally agree with it being addictive, I love my solo trips. I've only been on two and am in the planning stages of solo trip no. 3, coming from the UK it's a longggg way to travel solo but I look at it not only as a big adventure but increadily liberating and self indulgent.

I can do what I want when I want without having to consider anyone else. I don't care what anyone else thinks of me sitting on it's a small world singing along lol, I feel sorry for the families who are experiencing melt downs whilst I'm in my own happy little world :goodvibes

I had no problems eating at any of the sit down restaurants, although I haven't yet done a character meal solo (notice the word 'yet' ;) ). I enjoyed the Boardwallk restaurants (Flying Fish and Kouzzina) as I could get the free wifi on my phone but free wifi aside I love to just take time out, relax and watch what's going on around me.

I love going solo. I have so much freedom and it's just relaxing to take in all the magic. you really don't think about dining alone or if anyone is watching you, most people are so involved in their own vacation that you don't show up on their radar. I do meet up with friends and plan events with them but at the end of the day, I go back to the resort, turn on the TV and fall asleep watching Disney movies...:goodvibes

Just back from an 8 day solo trip - I had an absolute BLAST! Had a lovely sit down meal every day but one - Sanaa, Boma, Jiko, Tusker House lunch, Yak & Yeti, Plaza Restaurant. The odd day, I had souvlakia at Tangerine, and on day 8, I was at the airport. Had lovely attentive servers, fabulous food, great interaction with fellow guests, and cast members. Best trip ever? Maybe!

I started doing solo long weekends years ago, because none of my friends really care to go to Disney. I am single, so I didn't have a family I could force to go with me. :)

I really enjoy it, because, like the other posters mentioned, you can do whatever you want whenever you want. It is so relaxing. I bring a good book and some magazines and sleep in late and go to the pool and read. Then the afternoon and evening I spend in the parks. I come home and relax in my super comfy hotel bed and watch movies. It's really a pleasant experience.

You can always find people to talk to in line, if you get a little lonely. Trust me though, don't feel awkward, people are too busy doing their own thing to wonder about why you are alone.

As a single lady, I feel Disney is a very safe environment to travel, since it is geared towards wholesome, family fun. Enjoy!

I started doing solo long weekends years ago, because none of my friends really care to go to Disney. I am single, so I didn't have a family I could force to go with me. :)

I really enjoy it, because, like the other posters mentioned, you can do whatever you want whenever you want. It is so relaxing. I bring a good book and some magazines and sleep in late and go to the pool and read. Then the afternoon and evening I spend in the parks. I come home and relax in my super comfy hotel bed and watch movies. It's really a pleasant experience.

You can always find people to talk to in line, if you get a little lonely. Trust me though, don't feel awkward, people are too busy doing their own thing to wonder about why you are alone.

As a single lady, I feel Disney is a very safe environment to travel, since it is geared towards wholesome, family fun. Enjoy!

Exactly...how would anyone know that you are a solo traveler unless you tell them. You could be riding something or seeing something that the rest of your group didn't want to see. I've never been more sure of anything then the fact that NO ONE knows or cares.

YES! YES! YES!
Just went last week for the first time and I can't wait to do it again.

I love going on solo trips!!! :) :banana: :)

There is so much to do, see and enjoy at Disney - it makes for a great solo trip IMO!! :wizard: Doing whatever you want, whenever you want is a great luxury! :cloud9:

And because Disney is so good at looking after people Disney makes for a happy solo trip. Once I was waiting early in the morning at the DTD bus stop to go to POP - not many people were around - not many buses and a CM went and got a van just to take me to POP - one other couple hitched a ride to the All Stars but I felt very cared for as a solo traveler. Go Disney!

I have also met some really wonderful people on solo trips and it is so easy to strike up conversations if you need a little talk time.

Yay for solo trips!:hippie:

It's addictive. When I've traveled with others, I feel restricted. No one can keep up with me in the parks and I prefer to decide what things to do and when to do them.

Getting into most restaurants on a whim is also easier when solo. There's overall more spontaneity. I can always manage to find a spot to squeeze in at the last minute to watch the parades or fireworks. I always have fun at Disney, but my solo trips have been the most fun.

I enjoy going solo...you can go anywhere at your own pace. Eat whatever you want, spend hours wandering around the parks. I've had great conversations with people at the parks and the single rider lines are awesome.
Deepirate:

I love going solo. I'm planning trip #5 solo now. I'm going to be doing the Wild Africa Trek solo and I'm really looking forward to it.

I've never felt awkward eating TS alone but I've never done a character meal solo.

I think I love going solo more than when I go with the family. I can plan everything the way I like it instead of having to adjust to others schedules and likes. I know I can take more pictures when I go solo which I love doing.

Hopefully, you'll find that you love going solo too.

Just went to the Magic Kingdom solo today for the first time! I had a blast. I could ride whatever I wanted, eat ice cream at 10 am, and I just enjoyed there being no one else to have to compromise with. Can't wait to go to Animal Kingdom alone and spend as much time as I want looking at the animals.

I am sooo considering going solo for a long weekend. My brother and his family are currently visiting WDW right now and seeing all of their fun pictures makes me really wanna go to get my Disney fix! But am soooo nervous to even consider going. I think my DH will think I am a little nuts, but it would be so nice to be able to get away to someplace I absolutely love! Gosh my stomach is in knots just thinking about it!

:lmao:

If I can bring my red solo cup with me, a solo trip would be just fine!!

;)

I just got back from my first solo trip, and I have to say, I absolutely loved it!:cool1: I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it, especially the being alone stuff, but I felt really comfortable the entire time. Although the one thing I did end up cancelling was my dinner at 1900 Park Fare, I wasn't sure how character meals would work with one person alone and pictures. Although I'd probably do it next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter