• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you let your princess "dress up" at the parks

my dd's loved to be dressed up at disney! we never did the fancy shoes just for comfort and safety sake. we too roll the gowns and put them in ziplocs and that has worked wonderfully for us. they usually wear a tshirt and shorts underneath just in case..... but just in case has never happened!:goodvibes

This is my princess's 1st trip but she is a character on her own and loves her make believe chest. I can't imagine not taking some costumes. Especially since I KNOW I will hear it until she gets one once she sees other girls in thier costumes. Then I'll have to pay Disney prices or never hear the end of it. She wears her's out and about sometimes. She's 2 1/2. They do that :)

Ohhh quick tip. I go to payless and target a lot looking for "sparkley shoes". They always have glittery shoes that are like slippers or loafers. I try to keep the next size up so its not a painful move from one to the other. I just picked up her new ones we will break in before the trip. These are not quite as good as sneakers but with socks they are way better than dress up shoes. And we get no arguement cuz they go with her dress.

My DDs 9 and 6 brought 4 costumes between them. We had Ariel, Aurora, Jasmine and Belle. I love the photos of my princesses with the princesses and my princesses outside the castle.
I have a DD14 who used to dress up:mad:. Do it now while you can, before you know it they are out of that stage...

Our shoes were glittery and comfy.. Converse brand at Target.

we wera them for special meals like Princess Storybook Dinner, and Wonderland Tea Party- we do not wear them around the parks on rides and stuff- too uncomfortable, itchy for our girls anyway

My DD always lives in her costumes. She has Minnie Mouse and Jasmin
I usually put her in stretchy pants and a long sleeved shirt under her dress, or shorts and a t-shirt depending on the weather. That way if she wants to take it off, she can. She never removed her tiara all week though.

I didn't take the princess high heels, she wore her tennies and never complained about that part.

Taking my DD's Cinderella dress and tiara is a given. I am leaving the light-up "glass" slippers at home. She is too young to think she looks goofy in a princess dress and Nikes, and I don't want her to get blisters. I have a 5 yo DS too, and I'm thinking he'll feel a bit left out if he doesn't dress up too. Should I take his Lightning McQueen one piece race car driver costume too? See signature pic.

We did, and we got a YOAMD because of it! DD6 had dressed as Jasmine for the Princess Breakfast, and although we had a change of clothes and shoes for her, she insisted on wearing the costume afterward.

It was our first day at Disney, and we went straight from breakfast to Soarin'. There was a 50 minute wait, so we were deciding whether or not to FP it. A CM walked up to DD and said, "Good morning, Princess Jasmine." DD ate that right up, and said good morning to him. He asked her if she would like to ride Soarin' RIGHT NOW, and she said that she did!

He took us out back, and then back inside through a staff only door, where he thrilled our DDs by telling them that this was the way the celebrities got on all of the rides. He walked us right to the front of the line, and announced our presence. Everyone applauded. It was so awesome!!!

Funny thing was that DD wanted to wear that costume 24/7 after that - LOL!

If you think she will want to wear it..I would bring it. My DD actually wears a different princess every day. We've collected costumes over the years..luckily she's a peanut and doesn't outgrow things quickly. Last trip we were cinderella, pink and green jasmine, pocohantas, and aurora..I really didn't need to bring any other clothes for her (although I did).

Disney shopping has their costumes on sale...Just picked up Mulan for 14.99.

Not only does DD dress up but so does DS! My DD now 8 has dressed up since she was 3. We put a light cotton white t-shirt under her dress so that it doesn't itch so much. She has worn Cinderella, Belle, etc... She loves to play dress up and even now still wants to wear her dress to the castle and for the parades.

DS wears Peter Pan, Buzz lightyear and this year we are surprising him with Captain Hook!:rotfl:

I bought the Belle and Captain Hooks costumes hoping for the Princess&Pirate Party but since that looks like it not going to happen I told them they can wear it for our meals with the princesses. This will be their first time dressing up in the parks and they are so excited.

I actually sew costumes for a living, so I go kind of overboard...... but definitely bring the costume. Let her call the shots. Wear comfortable sandals, shorts and a camisole underneath so she can change when she wants. But do what you must with her (including bribery!) to get a nice picture in front of the castle, and one with Cinderella as well. Those pictures are the best!

If you think she'll really take to the costume thing, bring others for the other days of the week so you'll have a better variety of pictures.

You BOTH will love the extra attention she gets in costume. The cast members are great at that!

stepsistersbluegown.jpg

DD wears her dresses every day. I just put a shirt and shorts on underneath so it is not too itchy. (The t-shirt corresponds to the princess she is that day. ie. belle dress, belle on her t-shirt. even her underwear corresponds. Annal, I know!!:rotfl: ) Her dad had found her a pair of comfy shoes (croc like) with princesses on them. She just wore those each day. When she didn't want to wear the dress she would take it off and when she wanted to wear it she kept it on. But I would never go to the parks without a dress, she would see the other girls wearing them and had to wear one too.

If I could get away with wearing a dress I would too. Sadly, disney says no,:sad1: so I wear a different crown each day. I love when the CM say, "Hello Princess!":lmao:

For those whose girls keep their dresses on all day... what kind of shoes do they where? I'm looking for something for our upcoming trip that's cute and comfy for lots of walking.

The shoes depend on the dress. My daughter usually wears full length gowns, so she wears whatever is comfortable underneath. Check out the sandals under Snow White:

snowwhitetree.jpg

Sandals are great, as are sneakers. The important part is comfort, THEN beauty!

But even if your little one is wearing a shorter costume, still go for the comfort. Whatever shoes you pick, make sure they are broken in before you go.

Just took my almost 5 year old Princess for her first trip to WDW and have to tell you she didn't care if we packed anything as long as we had all her costumes. We took a couple of her better costumes for breakfast at CRT and other such occassions. But we took the "cheaper" costumes for everyday. We did hair and makeup every morning. But I also took a change of clothes with us each day. Some days she asked for her play clothes but most of the time she stayed in costume. We both enjoyed all the attention she got from all CM's throughout the day from the Mousekeepers at the hotel to the bus drivers and everyone in the parks! The look on a little girls face when a stranger greets her "Good Morning Princess" as they bow...PRICELESS!

You guys were right. I don't know why I packed anything but the costumes. DD (not quite 3) wore her regular clothes the 1st day, and once I let her wear the Cinderella dress the 2nd day to Epcot since we had a princess lunch she would not wear anything but her costumes the rest of the week. She got way too much attention with the costumes. She wore Minnie the next day, but she got a drop of chocolate on it and she has a thing about being messy, so the rest of the week it was that Cinderella dress and nothing else!

Hehehe... I dress my DD up! She loves it, and she loves the attention. She was a huge hit as "Baby Belle" last September. So far we have Belle, Tink, Minnie and Aurora :cloud9:

I always change her when it gets too warm or she seems to be getting uncomfortable. I can't wait to do it again!

Costumes are fun at Disney!

DSC02359.jpg

Yes those would be hot pink saddles with her Mary dress. :eek:
Since their Aunt make their dresses we have never had them be to itchy. She uses soft machine washable fabrics. They always wear comfy shoes.

We have done both. Granddaughter has worn the dress with a change of clothes later in the day or depending on the costume and weather, she has stayed in it for most of the day. Mostly the costumes that she stays in are not the frilly princess dresses. (she has those too). Dresses such as Pochahontas, Mulan, Alice in Wonderland, do much better for the longer days, not as scratchy and easier to get around in. It seems like in these dresses, she gets even more attention, as there are always lots of "regular" princesses running around.

From a mom who has teens now let her dress up. I know it may not feel like it now but this time will pass so fast. Let her make the most of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter