Do you leave your crockpot on while you are not home?

I do leave it on, but keep at low while I leave, which really is just silly , now that I think of it...I mean heat is heat, electric current is just that....:rotfl:

I do it all the time. However, I had a ten year old crock pot that I got for my bridal shower. It scared me that it was so old, so I replaced it. Now I have an extra for parties, but I won't use it when I am not home.

The truth is, that anything with an electrical current running through it has the potential to catch on fire. Even if it is turned off. So, tv's, space heaters, lamps, even cell phone chargers can catch on fire. The only added danger with a crockpot is if the liquid is all cooked off. Then the food inside will dry out and if it gets hot enough it could burst into flames. It is basically the same concept as a dryer fire. It is usually the lint buildup that catches fire.

I run mine all the time when I'm not at home. Truth be told, the house is over insured and I'd be like woohoo the house burned down, gimme my check! (the only "thing" worth anything are my pictures which I have backups of off site).

I'm over the pet thing too (anyone looking for a cat..or 4...that lives in TN?).

I've had two non-hot things catch fire. One, a water heater. It went BANG then fire shot out of the top of it. Luckily I was near it and shut off the power. The second thing was a computer monitor. BANG again, small flames which died out quickly. Boy did that smell awful.

Well today for Easter Lunch, I had two crock-pots full of mac&cheese AND left my Ham baking on 300 while we were at church:scared1:. All was well and delicious!

My uncle is a firefighter...and I was amazed to hear that they did this!!! They let their turkey cook while they were visiting a nursing home on Thanksgiving.

OP..I leave my crockpot on when I'm out, and have never had a problem.

I leave mine on as well (crockpot) that is the wonderful part about having one.

Mickey: Funny you say that. When I was growing up, my mother used to leave the oven on to cook the roast while we were at church. I DEF!! do not do it. But it was an every Sunday thing when I was growing up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter