• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you know what chow chow is?

You might right HMG. . although I'm not sure I trust an explanation from someone who cans toe-jam. . :eek:

;)

:teeth: :teeth:

I've helped my grandmother make it years and years ago:), but I still don't like the stuff.:) Give me sauerkraut on my hotdog anyday.
Kim

Originally posted by Buckalew
Hey Shep is that Browneye's dog???
LOL, Brenda. That's a pic of a Chow. My Boo is a Pomeranian (he shouldn't get over 7 pounds when he's full grown:)).

I am in the group that thought Chow Chow was Amish. The kind I get doesn't have cabbage in it but is a mix of corn and smal cut celeery, onion, peppers, beans..... I like a little of it.

My grandmother and my dad used to make it. They're damn yankees, not southerners. :teeth:

Originally posted by browneyes
:teeth: Chow chow is similiar to salsa, but without the tomatoes.:) It's yummy in pinto beans.:teeth: I'm not sure if all have it, but all the ones I've had have a cabbage base.:)
Well here in the north, our "chow chow" was made with green tomatoes and onions.

amish_1746_24049945

Chow Chow. The Amish version of The Last of the Garden. Perfectly refreshing on a summer table.

This traditional Lancaster County dish is bursting with a variety of crunchy vegetables. Chow Chow can be served cold, right out of the jar and is a healthy meal in itself!"

An Amish/Mennonite/PA Dutch Recipe:

CHOW CHOW

1 quart cucumbers
1 quart corn
1 quart string (green and yellow mixed) beans
1 quart lima beans
1 quart cauliflower
1 pint celery
1 pint green bell peppers
1 pint red bell peppers
1 cup small onions
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 cups granulated sugar
1 quart vinegar or apple cider vinegar

Chop vegetables in varying sizes and cook until just tender (DO NOT OVERCOOK). Do this by cooking all the vegetables separately, then mixing them together.

Combine sugar, vinegar and dry mustard in large pot, and bring to boiling. Add vegetables, and bring to a boil again. Remove from heat, place into jars and seal.

BTW - I don't eat the stuff.

We usually see the green tomato and onion variety. I love it with fried fish! Now you've made me hungry.

My Southern Grandmother made Chow-Chow. She told us that you eat Chow-Chow with beans and ham hocks to cut down on the gas the beans caused. Enough said about that.

16 cups green tomatoes
1 large head of cabbage
8 onions
6 green peppers
6 sweet red peppers
1/2 cup salt
15 cups vinegar
5 cups sugar
3 tablespoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon powdered ginger
1 tablespoon turmeric
4 tablespoons mustard seed
3 tablespoons celery seed
2 tablespoons pickling spice
Chop and combine all vegetables in a large kettle. Stir in salt and let stand at room temperature overnight. Drain.
Combine vinegar, sugar, dry mustard, ginger, and turmeric in a large kettle. Put mustard seed, celery seed, and pickling spices in a 6-inch square of cheese-cloth. Tie with a string and add to the kettle. Bring the liquid to a boil and then simmer 30 minutes. Add vegetables and return to simmer for 30 minutes. Discard spice bag. Spoon chow-chow into hot sterilized jars and seal.

The chow chow I know is also with cabbage. My grandmother made it. I can't seem to find anyone else that makes it as good as hers.

I haven't had any since my grandmother passed away 3 years ago. I guess I'll have to go look in her cookbook!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter