Do you know The Tragically Hip?

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
They are an iconic band who have been together for over 30 years. They're like a religion in Canada, but never really made it huge anywhere else. Some of their bigger hits internationally are Ahead by a Century and New Orleans is Sinking.

Their lead singer, Gord Downie, was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer earlier this year and the band decided to tour one last time. Their final concert is tonight and it is being broadcast on CBC so everyone can celebrate one last time. So, if you need anything, Canada will be busy tonight.

I never saw them in concert but so many of their songs take me back to a specific memory.

Anyone else?

I don't know them, but the story is all over my FB feed as have a few Canadian friends.

I'll search them out.

Yes, I went to see them, years ago with a close friend that really liked them, they were playing with Blues Traveler. My friend passed away last year, from cancer and when I read about the singer getting cancer, I was very sad.

The Hip, :) of course...

"Cause it was in Bobcaygeon, where I saw the constellations
Reveal themselves one star at a time..."

The big decision for this evening was between watching it live streamed at the CNE in Toronto, watching it live streamed at the local park, or watching it live streamed at home. Decided to stay home. Getting the popcorn and wine ready now lol.

I've heard of them but I'm a huge fan of barenaked ladies who are also from Canada. They have been posting about "the hip" and will be watching their.final.show. sad sad story

Dont know nothing of them but what a heart warming story

You'd probably enjoy The Hip :)
gord's is a story of remarkable courage & stamina.. But I'll give it to him, he's facing his diagnosis so bravely & is determined to go down fighting!

Cancer is such a beast...

My son is working the event in Kingston as a paramedic.

I hope no one has need of his services tonight!

Watching with my 5 year old - who now has tears in her eyes.

Last edited:
There's a huge following of the Hip here in Buffalo. They're live streaming the concert to Larkinville so Buffalo fans can see it. My brothers are there. Such a touching story.

I am Canadian and know of them but haven't been a follower of them. I am sure if I hear there songs I will know them though. I do know of Gord Downie battle.
DH is watching the concert. I just started watching a few minutes ago.

I love the tragically hip. I was fortunate enough to score two tickets to the Toronto concert last Sunday. I let me DH and DS go while I stayed home, they said it was great, wish I could have got more tickets but they were near impossible to get.

The very first date me and DH went on was a Tragically Hip concert back in 1997 when I was only 17 and he was 22. Would have loved to see them again with DH but also nice that our son got to see them in concert

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter