Do you have books...

So Many, so many...It's hard to choose!
I feel like I've read so many that I've forgotten...these are a few I remember loving.

Dog Stories by James Herriot
Night by Elie Wiesel
The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillippa Gregory
Swan Song by Robert McKammon
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Into Thin Air (True story of Mt. Everest Climbers) by Jon Krakauer
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Running With Scissors by Augusten Burrows
Dry by Augusten Burrows
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
The Stand by Stephen King
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith

I love Nora Roberts/J D Robb. I also enjoy Patricia Cornwell. Nicholas Sparks is good too. i can't resist a good Stephen King novel. Oh, I just love to read.

I guess I'm a fluffy reader but I love Nicholas Sparks books. Also several by Sandra Brown (Slow Heat In Heaven, The Texas series)
Doreatha Benton Franks (Isle Of Palms)

Starting my summer reading list. Thanks

I highly recommend "We Need to Talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver. It will have you up all night.

I'm a HUGE reader. And own thousands of books.
1. Earths Children Series by Jean M. Auel
2. Swan Song by Robert McCammon
3. Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
4. Shogun by James Clavell (Oh how I miss him)
5. Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson
6. After Columbus by Herman Viola
7. Shield of Three Lions by Pamela Kaufman
8. Anything by Dan Simmons
9. All of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's work
10. Good Horror? Try Brian Keene.
11. James Rollins work is fabulous.
All of these works are in MHO excellent reads. Hope you can try one.
:love: :love:

I read anything and everything, going through books like water at times. There are so many good ones out there but the 3 that stand out from all my reads last year were:

The Kite Runner
Angels and Demons(so much better then the Da Vinci Code!)
Wicked

I adore threads like this! I've written down virtually everything that's been recommended. :blush:

As far as my own recommendations... there are so many, I almost don't know where to start! :) Okay here goes!

The Thirteenth Tale- Diane Setterfield
Wicked- Gregory Maguire
The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings- Tolkien
Memoirs of a Geisha- Arthur Golden
Green Mansions- W.H. Hudson
For fun fluff, the Stephanie Plum series- Janet Evanvovich

Very Stephanie Plum'esque is Kyra Davis' two: Sex, Murder and a Double Latte & Passion Betrayal and Killer Highlights.

Have The Other Boleyn Girl fans read Phillipa Gregory's: The Queen's Fool and The Virgin's Lover? Queen's Fool picks up with the following reign and I believe The Virgin's Lover follows The Queen's Fool.

Nora Robert's trilobgy Morrigan's Cross, Dance of the Gods, Valley of Silence. (Fantasy, vampires, etc)

Lightning- Dean Koontz (Reading Odd Thomas now. Love it!!)

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel- Daphne Du Maurier
Gone With the Wind- Margaret Mitchell
Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte

Ugh. Rambling now. Too many to list!

I love to read, but I'm the only one in my group of friends who likes to read. So I recommend books to my mom. Someone mentioned the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich...they are absolutely hilarious! Number 13 comes out June 19 (my b-day!). I like mysteries and thrillers...I've just discovered Beverly Barton and Alison Brennan. I also like the Hannah Swenson mysteries by Joanne Fluke. They have good recipes in them, too.

So Many, so many...It's hard to choose!
I feel like I've read so many that I've forgotten...these are a few I remember loving.

Dog Stories by James Herriot
Night by Elie Wiesel
The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillippa Gregory
Swan Song by Robert McKammon
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Into Thin Air (True story of Mt. Everest Climbers) by Jon Krakauer
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Running With Scissors by Augusten Burrows
Dry by Augusten Burrows
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
The Stand by Stephen King
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith

I read a book about 30 yrs ago that I loved, and I was sure it was A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, but when I checked it out again from the library it wasn't the book I was thinking of. Maybe you can help me.

I think it was about a young couple (teenagers) who eloped without their parents blessing and I believe were then estranged from their families. They were trying to work and at least one of them was trying to take some classes, and they lived in a bed sitting room in a house. It was set in perhaps the 40's, because they only earned a few dollars a week. I remember that for their anniversary they each sold something important to them to buy the other a gift. (When I read the book I was about 13 or 14 and I thought it was soooo romantic!) Something makes me think that they had a baby near the end of the book.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It was on my older brother's required reading list back in the late 70's.

I will recommend The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath to anyone who is looking for a great read. I think everyone can relate to the sentiments expressed in the book at one time or another (and I don't mean wanting to commit suicide, I just mean the feeling of being put under this bell jar, under constant observation).

Other favorites of mine include:
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (if you love the movie, read the book! It's even better!)
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Anything by Jane Austen, Ernest Hemingway, or F. Scott Fitzgerald (particularly Pride and Prejudice, A Farewell to Arms, and The Great Gatsby).
Shogun by James Clavell
The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett

I will recommend The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath to anyone who is looking for a great read. I think everyone can relate to the sentiments expressed in the book at one time or another (and I don't mean wanting to commit suicide, I just mean the feeling of being put under this bell jar, under constant observation).

Other favorites of mine include:
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (if you love the movie, read the book! It's even better!)
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Anything by Jane Austen, Ernest Hemingway, or F. Scott Fitzgerald (particularly Pride and Prejudice, A Farewell to Arms, and The Great Gatsby).
Shogun by James Clavell
The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett

1.The Bell Jar is a great book. I read it in college 17 years ago along with The Color Purple and Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut

2.Butterfly by Kathryn Harris is an interesting read too.

I read a book about 30 yrs ago that I loved, and I was sure it was A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, but when I checked it out again from the library it wasn't the book I was thinking of. Maybe you can help me.

I think it was about a young couple (teenagers) who eloped without their parents blessing and I believe were then estranged from their families. They were trying to work and at least one of them was trying to take some classes, and they lived in a bed sitting room in a house. It was set in perhaps the 40's, because they only earned a few dollars a week. I remember that for their anniversary they each sold something important to them to buy the other a gift. (When I read the book I was about 13 or 14 and I thought it was soooo romantic!) Something makes me think that they had a baby near the end of the book.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It was on my older brother's required reading list back in the late 70's.

Was it The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry?

I just remembered another one. If you like suspense, Intensity by Dean Koontz is a great book. VERY suspenseful and scary!! :scared1:

Hmm... I think it might be too fluffy for someone that likes "macho" books. James Rollins or Matthew Reilly might be up his alley a bit more.

Although Ice Hunt and Riptide by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child is a bit more manly.

katerkat, my DH loves Lincoln Child and also the books he co-wrote with Douglas Preston. We fight over them. He reads too slowly. :rotfl:

DH is also a Clive Cussler/Tom Clancy fan, if that's any help.

Thanks! I might grab him one of the co-written ones and see if I can get him started on a new series.

For the PP who mentioned Kurt Vonnegut - excellent books! He died yesterday. :(

I just finished "Baby Proof" by Emily Griffin. That was excellent! I'd never read anything by her before. Right now, I'm reading "Like Dandelion Dust" by Karen Kingsbury, another author I'd never read. So far I'm really loving that one too. I recently read "Slow Burn" by Julie Garwood-I used to like her, but this book was only OK. Next I'm planning to read "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks-I've heard good things about it.

Just finished with , 90 Minutes in Heaven, excellent, just started reading, Baptism, great so far.

The story of the couple sure does sound like the Gift of the Magi to me.

And whoever was looking for "manly" books for their husband should take the suggestion of Matthew Reilly. I REALLY like them, and I'm a big Tom Clancy/Stephan Coonts fan. They are very fast paced! He has a movie coming out soon based on "Contest" which was his first book.

I also used to work with a guy who wrote military fiction. His name is Ward Carroll. His main series is about an F-14 fighter pilot named Punk. Your DH might like them too.

For science fiction series, I really like Anne MacCafferty's Dragonrider of Pern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter