Do you have an air purifier?

averill94

DIS Veteran
There is way too much info out there on these!!!! I was hoping to get one or two (then I can move one from the living room to the bedroom). I am hoping it will help asthma induced allergies. Even though my house is completely closed up I think it might help with cleaning the air.

What do you have and would you recommend it?

Thank you SO much!
Margaret

I have a Holmes HEPA filter. It really, really helps remove excess dust and debris from the air. I have severe allergies to dust and pet dander, and this product has made me 100x more comfortable in my own home.

FYI, it is noisy. I'm not going to lie. But I leave it on setting 1 or 2 when I'm sleeping, and turn it up to 4 when I'm out of the house. It's just white noise at this point.

Good luck! :)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Holmes-99.97-HEPA-Allergen-Remover-for-Large-Rooms/12018987

I was looking into one because my allergies have been so bad. But all the reviews make it seem like they don't help allergies at all??? I read the consumer reports and it made me decide against it at this time. If I recall, the only one they recommended was super expensive.

DH just had our house vents cleaned while I was away at a conference. It was the "professional" version, not the yearly cleaning kind. It ended up being expensive (I wasn't here :rolleyes:.) We called up one of the places that puts coupons in that envelope of coupons that comes in the mail monthly. Apparently those deals are just for the "yearly maintenance" type procedures. Anyway, they said our house had never been cleaned (we recently bought the house) and they were pretty dirty. It took them all morning (about 4 hours). But I will say that I haven't had as much problems with my allergies since I have been back from the conference!

I think we are going to work on our carpets next. We might put hardwood floors in our bedroom instead of the carpet that is in there now. I think the people who lived in the house before us had dogs and I think it is embedded in the carpets no matter how much I vacuum (with a Dyson!).

Maggie

We've got a Winix Plasma Wave air purifier. It's made a difference for my son with allergies.

I too have allergy induced asthma. Have you considered air cleaning plants around your house?

Is this a special type of plant ;)

Plants won't do anything to get rid of dust mites, which are a common trigger for asthma and allergies.

Dust mites no...but it will help clean the air. Indoor air quality is usually worse than outdoor due to carpets, cleaning chemicals, etc.. Strong smells are a major trigger for me too.

For dust mites, I've gotten covers for the mattresses and pillows and that seemed to help. I've been running air cleaners for years and aside from the white noise (which I now can't sleep without) I don't see that dramatic a difference. However, when I moved my peace lily plant into my sons room about 2 weeks ago, the room actually stopped stinking (he's 13, just hit the smelly part of puberty:rotfl2:).

We have 2 small wall plug in styles .

They only work in small spaces as advertised and to be expected , but boy do they work . Our dog had puppies a few weeks ago . She and the pups have taken up residence in the laundry room aka puppy palace.

We have one in there and it REALLY helps with the puppy smell.

We have another one in the kids bath next to the potty. With 2 lil boys that don't have the best aim , it helps controll that smell too .

I'd love to have a Traine . Now that we've tried the small wall size ones and we like it , we'd def. look into getting a room size one

I thought some independent research has shown that most air purifiers don't actually do what they are supposed to do, at least not enough to benefit healthwise. I probably wouldn't spend money on one.

My husband is a AC tech. He put in an UV light.We are in a 20 year old house and the people smoked. my 2 DD and I both have Asthma with the youngest having it the worst. This has helped us not only with the Asthma but coming down with colds too. It cost us about $80 for one but not sure how much it would be for you. It was easy to install if you could find a place to sell you one without having a tech come out and charge you an arm and a leg for it. :thumbsup2

If you are on a budget, a great tip is to use a box fan with a good filter put in front of it. It works really well for most partical type stuff in the air. ( Not sure it would work for cigarette smoke.)

I have used the fan ( in the room where my bird is) a charcoal type filter system and an ionizer system. I stopped using the ionizer due to resportory irritation concerns and stopped using the charcole filter style because of the mess of washing it out, and the cost of replacement filters. ( 65.00 +) The fan system is about as good IMO and way less expensive. I keep it running 24/7 and the cheapo box fan has been running for about 4 years now. :rotfl: Of course this is in a room where the white noise does not bother me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter