Do you have a work cell phone? What would you do...

Thanks everyone for all the replies!!! Lots of good perspectives, and lots for me to consider.

If you are on vacation from work, is there a reason you need to be available for work-related emails and calls? I've asked this question of others, and got an assortment of answers. So my next question would be, can you go on vacation somewhere that your work phone can't reach?

No real reason I need to be available while on vacation - colleagues are very good about covering for each other while we're out of the office. The benefit of two phones is that I could leave my work phone at home while I vacation, and if a true emergency DID pop up, they could reach me on my personal phone. It would beat getting inundated with calls and texts from work people who don't even realize I'm on vacation.

I would go with option 2 and I would even go as far as to say you *should* still be answering texts/emails occasionally while not at work. It's just the way things are now. Dh has (sort of) this arrangement. I'm not sure what you mean by "take over" your phone bill. DH submits his phone bill to AP, but not all 100+ pages that shows every text and call on all 4 phones. They aren't monitoring what he does, but yes, they do need some proof of payment to reimburse him.

But, that's just the culture of his office and his profession. How is it like for others in your office? I can tell you that if someone there said they preferred two phones so they could avoid answering calls/emails at night and on weekends, it wouldn't look good.

Eh, not so much here. We have plenty of people in our office that are pro work-life balance, so I'd say about half of our office goes the two phone route. No one cares which option you go with, which is why they give the option to begin with. We're all salaried and put in about 50-55 hours a week normally, so I don't think anyone would argue with us for wanting to shut down when we go home. Some people work second shift though and the nature of our industry has things popping up all the time - most of it can wait until the next morning, but the downside of being available at all hours means I'll be compelled to respond or fix it instantly.

As far as the phone bill goes, I'd submit the first page of it every month as an expense and they'll reimburse me the full amount. This is enticing to me, because it would save $100+ a month!

DH has a work phone that he's allowed to use for personal use. He uses it just like a regular phone. We don't see any reason to pay for a seperate personal phone.

I can't imagine anyone from his work is reading all his texts and emails. They would have a full time job reading everyone's messages! However, he also isn't texting or messaging anything that would get him in trouble so it's not a big deal. I guess if he had something to hide it would be a problem.

He turns it off most nights at 11. He does get some work calls and emails on vacations, but he has caller ID and can choose when to answer. It really isn't a big deal.

He has used a work phone for personal use for 20 years with no problems.

Is it even possible for them to read your text messages and emails from a non-work account? Since your work emails go through their servers, they can read those and most companies do spot check emails, or will read emails if they think there is a problem, but I don't know that they would have access to emails via Gmail on your phone or your phone text messages????

DH has a work phone that he's allowed to use for personal use. He uses it just like a regular phone. We don't see any reason to pay for a seperate personal phone.

I can't imagine anyone from his work is reading all his texts and emails. They would have a full time job reading everyone's messages! However, he also isn't texting or messaging anything that would get him in trouble so it's not a big deal. I guess if he had something to hide it would be a problem.

He turns it off most nights at 11. He does get some work calls and emails on vacations, but he has caller ID and can choose when to answer. It really isn't a big deal.

He has used a work phone for personal use for 20 years with no problems.
This is how it works at our office too but our devices are Blackberries, which limits the issue of downloads. I'm somewhat circumspect about what I would text or email (no rants about the boss!), but that's similar to how I use my desktop e-mail account and Internet access too. I personally don't find it restrictive at all and the company fully expects that the devices are also for personal use. They even spring for a roaming plan when we travel for vacations. As an added benefit they also upgrade the hardware regularly and replace lost or damaged units (within reason) with no questions asked.

#1 by far, do not let work in on your private phone EVER!!! Just like using email on work computer they can access your private life. I don't know what your profession is but in mine keep work off any personal devices.
I don't think such a blanket statement/policy is necessary. Like many things, it depends on the situation. For the OP, I would be interested in knowing what "security software" they need to install so you can get work email. Other than that, as a PP said, how would they be able to read your texts/emails that don't go through their servers? I just can't imagine carrying two phones.

For the OP, I would be interested in knowing what "security software" they need to install so you can get work email.

Good question, I'm not sure. IT handles that. It's a requirement because I work in banking so our emails have sensitive, confidential data frequently. It mus protect the server somehow, or maybe requires a password to access the email in the event my phone goes missing or something like that.

Good question, I'm not sure. IT handles that. It's a requirement because I work in banking so our emails have sensitive, confidential data frequently. It mus protect the server somehow, or maybe requires a password to access the email in the event my phone goes missing or something like that.
You might want to ask some questions about that. Maybe ask someone who uses a single device how they get their work email.

First option.

Actually, I'd take option 3: Look for a job where I'm not on call 24/7.

LOL. For the benefits and salary, especially in a blue collar area like Buffalo, I can't complain too much if this is my biggest concern!

I'm in agreement with those that say keep you personal life personal. There is no way I would let an employer install software on my computer, tablet or phone. If I need a piece of technology for work, then it better be provided for me.

I come from an IT background, and the vast majority of folks with the power to snoop just wouldn't do it, but it only takes one person to turn your life upside down.

First option.

Actually, I'd take option 3: Look for a job where I'm not on call 24/7.
The higher you go on the ladder, the more accessible you need to be.

DH has one phone that work pays for, though he is not accessible 24/7. He has personal apps on the phone and uses it as his personal phone, also. It isn't a concern for him, though I am mindful of what I text him.

Last edited:
Is it even possible for them to read your text messages and emails from a non-work account? Since your work emails go through their servers, they can read those and most companies do spot check emails, or will read emails if they think there is a problem, but I don't know that they would have access to emails via Gmail on your phone or your phone text messages????

I guess I really don't know if it's possible. He gets his personal and work email on his phone. We have always been conservative about what we write in any texts, emails or online posts. I've always just felt that anything personal could end up public when it comes to Internet or texting. You never know when you could send an email or text to the wrong person, or the person receiving it could share it with others. I figure if we operate like it's an open book we won't ever be caught unaware. Besides we are boring people so this isn't a problem for us. Lol.

I cannot shout "Option #1" loud enough from this rooftop, OP. My Husband and I were given the same choice as you, and we both chose option #1. Now between the two of us we have four iPhones, four iPads, and three laptops. LOL! Can you tell we like to keep our work life separate from our personal life?!?!

The higher you go on the ladder, the more accessible you need to be.
This. I am in a position where I am "sort of" on call 24/7. However, if I'm on vacation/out of town on a day off/otherwise can't help, I'll either ignore the call, answer it and try to help over the phone, or answer it and say "I can't help you where I am right now, please contact 'a' or 'b'."

I carry around 2 iPhones. One personal, one work. We have tracking devices in our work phone (we can open the app and it shows us our current and past locations) and our email software and other work stuff. No way do I want my work stuff on my personal phone, or better said...I do not want my personal stuff accessible by work. I do not take my work phone anywhere but home and work. No way will it go on vacation with me.

This. I am in a position where I am "sort of" on call 24/7. However, if I'm on vacation/out of town on a day off/otherwise can't help, I'll either ignore the call, answer it and try to help over the phone, or answer it and say "I can't help you where I am right now, please contact 'a' or 'b'."
When DH is away from his office for whatever reason (traveling for work, vacation, day off, etc) he changes his voice mail to say he is away until x date and he will return their call at that time. If they need assistance immediately, contact XYZ at this number. That same message goes on his cell phone, too.

I have a question for those of you that use 2 phones- if you are on vacation, and the boss/co-worker calls you on your personal phone, what if you need files/access to your work phone- do you still have it available with you? I personally use just the one phone, but I have a hard enough time keeping track of the one!

I don't think such a blanket statement/policy is necessary. Like many things, it depends on the situation. For the OP, I would be interested in knowing what "security software" they need to install so you can get work email. Other than that, as a PP said, how would they be able to read your texts/emails that don't go through their servers? I just can't imagine carrying two phones.

Look up cases of private email sent from work computers - yes they are accessible to your employer, even though they are not work related. This can also be done on smartphones. In this day an age of firings for FB posts, & emails, I would never let my employer on my phone.

I have 2 phones, the only time my employer can't order me back in is if I am out of state. I have to have it at all times, especially this winter:crazy:

Look up cases of private email sent from work computers - yes they are accessible to your employer, even though they are not work related. This can also be done on smartphones. In this day an age of firings for FB posts, & emails, I would never let my employer on my phone.
You're talking two different things. I agree anything sent from/going through a work owned computer/device is subject to examination by the company. But I don't think you can compare private email sent/received on a work computer to texts/emails sent from a private cell phone. Is it technically possible for a company to see texts on a private phone (short of an employee turning the phone over)?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter