Do you have a phobia of going to the doctor's?

julie_yet

Fashionably Sarcastic
I've always had a terrible phobia of doctors and medical procedures and now that I'm sick I'm having to go. Yesterday I saw a hematologist and was nervous and anxious already and when she lectured and scolded me for not having come in sooner I almost broke down. I wish doctors realized how hard it is for some people and that when they criticize all it does it make the patient feel worse and doesn't solve anything.

I know other people have the same phobia but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world.

I've always had a terrible phobia of doctors and medical procedures and now that I'm sick I'm having to go. Yesterday I saw a hematologist and was nervous and anxious already and when she lectured and scolded me for not having come in sooner I almost broke down. I wish doctors realized how hard it is for some people and that when they criticize all it does it make the patient feel worse and doesn't solve anything.

I know other people have the same phobia but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world.

:grouphug: I feel this exact way. I can remember when I was pregnant with my First DD and I had never been to a DR. and I was calling around trying to find a DR. I had a nurse yell at me on the phone, because I was about two months pregnant and was just trying to find a DR.:scared1: she told me that they had too many people delivering around the time that I thought I was due so they couldn't see me. It took me about two more weeks before I would try and call another DR. I was that upset.:scared1:

Even when I take my kids to the DR. or Dentist I get sick to my stomach. I can remember the first time I took my DD14 to the dentist and I was filling out the paperwork I was shaking so bad I couldn't write.

Oh thank you for writing this I thought I was the only person with this problem.:rolleyes1

I had a nurse yell at me on the phone, because I was about two months pregnant and was just trying to find a DR.:scared1:
Yes, because yelling at someone will encourage them to go to the doctor. Reprimanding a patient won't cure or heal them. :sad2:

Today I had my appointment for my new primary care physician. I prayed all last night that she would be not just a good doctor but a good and kind person. I almost started crying after the appointment was over because her bedside manner was superb. She never once asked me why I hadn't come in sooner and she didn't rudely comment on my sickly appearance as the other doctor had (like I don't know that I'm pale). She listened to everything I had to say and didn't make me feel stupid. She was gentle and seemed to genuinely care about my well-being without being holier-than-thou.

That's enough for me to look for someone else. Some are clueless when it comes to compassion for patients. I don't care how much book sense they may have. If you can't be compassionate, you're in the wrong business! :sad2:

Glad your visit with a new primary care doc went well! :banana: :banana: :banana:

P.S. Yes, I hate going and it gets my bp up way too high. Have had that problem since I was pregnant, had a high bp when at the hospital for an nst, and they admitted me. Just let me see a bp cuff, and I'm like a thermometer with the mercury shooting out the top!

My Mom is this way - she is so terrified of the doctor, and she admits she doesn't even know why. She has to go to the Dr twice a year because she is diabetic - it is so hard to get her to even make the appointment. Even then, I have to go in the exam room with her or she will take off out the back door.

:hug: to you.

yes, extreme fear.

I wish it was different.

I am ok taking the kids though. And, they have no idea I am so fearful, I don't want it to rub off on them.

Seeing a doctor freaks me out, but I do go when I have to. You're not alone in your fears.

I HATE going to the dr as well, for anything..UGH.. I dont know why, I am not a sickly person. My biggest phobia, is being weighed..YEP...sounds silly. I know if I didn't have to get weighed then that would take away 90% of my anxiety. I am overweight by 40 pds, but the drs have NEVER said a word aobut my weight, I think because my bloodpressure always has been good(I guess from lots of exercise)and I dont have any other weight related problems.
My other phobia about it is, I always feel like they wont "believe"me when i actually do go. I dont go often, I honestly don't get sick much, other then the average cold sort of thing.
A good , compassionate dr can make a world of difference though.

I HATE going to the dr as well, for anything..UGH.. I dont know why, I am not a sickly person. My biggest phobia, is being weighed..YEP...sounds silly. I know if I didn't have to get weighed then that would take away 90% of my anxiety. I am overweight by 40 pds, but the drs have NEVER said a word aobut my weight, I think because my bloodpressure always has been good(I guess from lots of exercise)and I dont have any other weight related problems.
My other phobia about it is, I always feel like they wont "believe"me when i actually do go. I dont go often, I honestly don't get sick much, other then the average cold sort of thing.
A good , compassionate dr can make a world of difference though.

You know you can get refused to get weighed, right? As a patient, you have the right to refuse any treatment or test, and that includes getting weighed. Even lets say taking blood, if for whatever reason, you don't want your CBC to be measured, you have the right to refuse. So next time, you can just say you rather not get weighed, and the doctors office has to respect that.

You know you can get refused to get weighed, right? As a patient, you have the right to refuse any treatment or test, and that includes getting weighed. Even lets say taking blood, if for whatever reason, you don't want your CBC to be measured, you have the right to refuse. So next time, you can just say you rather not get weighed, and the doctors office has to respect that.

I guess I never realized that. It is sort of funny. The drs office go to has several drs in it. There are 2 doorways/hallways, each hallway has 2 drs in it. So depending on who you see, that is what door you go in. One hallway has the scale right there when you pass into the dr hallway. The other hallway never had a scale for the longest time. So I would love when I had to see the other drs who were not my dr because I knew I wouldnt have to get weighed;) . I thought it was odd how they had it separated like that and how there was only one scale. Well low and behold when I was there in Sept, they had a scale on both sides now:scared1:

When I was pregnant, I use to weigh backwards. I would tell the nurses, "I dont want to know my weight" and would face backwards.

I am not in complete denial, I am a WW member, so I do weigh in weekly. BUT, at WW nobody is going to say anything negative about my weight.

... My biggest phobia, is being weighed..YEP...sounds silly. I know if I didn't have to get weighed then that would take away 90% of my anxiety. ...

Same here, but now when they ask me to get on the scale, I just reply, "Unless, you're planning on giving me anesthesia during this visit (because they really need to know your weight for that), I think I'll pass on the scale today, thank you very much" ... I usually get a chuckle from the nurse or whoever overhears me and they just proceed without weighing me ... and that's my story and I'm sticking to it :goodvibes ...

Same here, but now when they ask me to get on the scale, I just reply, "Unless, you're planning on giving me anesthesia during this visit (because they really need to know your weight for that), I think I'll pass on the scale today, thank you very much" ... I usually get a chuckle from the nurse or whoever overhears me and they just proceed without weighing me ... and that's my story and I'm sticking to it :goodvibes ...

Gosh, and I thought I was the only one;)

My heart rate gets so high out of fear. I get myself in a panic state. I don't know why, I guess I'm afaid they will tell me something bad. They've had to listen to my heart before and after the visit just to make sure I've calmed down.:sad2:

I don't have a fear per se, but I usually wait until I'm really sick before I go. I know it's bad to do, but I'm a worrier and when I do go and they send me for tests or bloodwork or whatever, I worry about it until I get the results.

I hate doctors/dentists with a passion (or is it the needles part that I hate).

I'm a health care professional and I HATE HATE HATE going to the doctor...
Seems every time I go they find something new wrong with me.....

sigh.

I hate doctors/dentists with a passion (or is it the needles part that I hate).
I never had a fear of needles until I had to have B vitamin shots. I always felt like someone stuck me with one of those Ron Popeil marinade injectors.

Yes, because yelling at someone will encourage them to go to the doctor. Reprimanding a patient won't cure or heal them. :sad2:

Today I had my appointment for my new primary care physician. I prayed all last night that she would be not just a good doctor but a good and kind person. I almost started crying after the appointment was over because her bedside manner was superb. She never once asked me why I hadn't come in sooner and she didn't rudely comment on my sickly appearance as the other doctor had (like I don't know that I'm pale). She listened to everything I had to say and didn't make me feel stupid. She was gentle and seemed to genuinely care about my well-being without being holier-than-thou.
--------------------

My PCP is a combination of both - because she learned early on that I'm the type of patient that requires harsh realities in order for me to take things seriously when they need to be taken seriously.. She is also kind, caring, and compassionate at the appropriate times..:goodvibes

However, if a doctor (any doctor) treated me badly on the very first appointment - without knowing diddly squat about me - I would not be seeing that particular doctor again..

I hope whatever ails you is on the mend soon! :hug:

For me it's not the doctor - I have no fear of the doctor - but I completely understand how you feel because I feel the same way about the dentist. I have to go before the end of the year - I haven't been in...a long time :guilty: , so I'm not looking foward to it. Our dental coverage is changing so I need to go in for a basic screening at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter