Do you have a limit on the amount of money..

shep

Let me tell ya about our 2008 trip out west...
that you give to kids to spend on souveneirs at Disney??
Of course you do..:rolleyes: but how much???

My kids will be ages 8,5 & 3 when we travel.

We are currently putting £3 per week away for our kids into their savings accounts, and we will change £150 for each of them into $$$. This should give them around $15 per day each, if they want something that costs more than $15 then they will have to save for it or borrow from the next days allowance. (The 3 year old has special needs so her money will really be for us to buy speacial treats for her.)

We will obviously buy their meals, juice, ice cream and some treats but their spending money is for what they want to buy (probably a lot of junk!!!)

My kids saved their own souvenir money for our last trip.

I only had one child. Never limited his spending on vacations. Of course, he never asked for a car or anything like, I would have told him <b>no</b> about that

We usually give DD Disney dollars before each trip.
We have been to Disney 6 times and now DD looks for the out of the ordinary, unique kinds of souveniers that she will appreciate rather than the plastic stuff or tshirts etc. We are pretty lenient when it comes to buying her things while on vacation. Unless it is really junky, I'll say yes most of the time!

Each kid gets $50 in Disney $ at the start of a week-long trip. how and when they spend it is up to them. Any left over, we trade in for real $. Belle is 7, Buzz is 5, we've done this for 3 years. It works for us. I'm not above buying them something additional, but it helps them make decisions. I find it also helps my blood pressure when, say, Belle wants to get the Belle doll that looks suspiciously like the 35 Barbies she left at home. Personally, I think it's a huge waste of money, but not my money, so I shrug it off. P.S. She still plays with that doll daily, so I guess it was a good purchase, just not what I would have chosen!

First trip they got $10 a day and that drove me crazy, because they bought such junky stuff. They just had to spend it every day, couldn't get the concept of saving a few days.

Next trip was a year in advance, so they saved all their gift money for the year. The spender child had signficantly less than his bro and sis. They each had around $100. The two boys bought really nice Disney watches for $70 that the oldest still has. The spender child is also the losing stuff child!!! He is the middle if you haven't guessed!

We also give them around $25 each and their Grandmother gives them money too. I like it better when they buy one nice souveneir.

I'm a mean mom. I don't give him any. We've had a standing rule for the last two trips to Disney. If he wants to pick out the souvenirs he buys, he has to do his chores, earn his allowance and spend his own money. I'll buy him some things, but if I pay for them, I'll be the one picking the stuff out. I usually end up getting him one or two little things because when it comes down to it, I'm not as tough as I think I am ;) but I do try to encourage him to take care of his own souvenirs...most of the time though, he'd rather spend all his hard earned $$ on video games and let Mom buy the Mickey ears. ;)

hmmm...I have two opposites....the oldest wants everything he sees :rolleyes: The younger asks for nothing for almost the entire trip until he spys the one item he absolutely has to have (one trip it was the plastic telescope from Pirates of the Caribbean! He absolutely lit up when he saw that, you'd have thought it cost a million dollars ;) :p :p :p This past trip it was a small plush Husky Dog from the Canada Pavilion.

"Mr Everything" gets told to keep looking and choose at the end of the trip.....he always wants something more costly and I will make him pay for a portion.

Of course, I do pick up items here and there that I will either give them later or on the road trip home or that I'll save for Christmas.

Santa brings a few Disney dollars along with the easter bunny and then hunter gets a DDollar for every 100 she gets on a spelling test. (She missed 2 words last year so she has quite a few dollars to spend on a trip) I'd guess between 25.00-50.00 ( I think that is a lot)

My kids spend what they save. Last year between the two they saved 150.00 So no limit as long as it is their own money.

Seeing I'm the Grandma and Grandma's are suppose to spoil their Grandchildren I'll have to say no, but they are only allowed one gift a day. They are allowed to look through the day and make their decision on what that gift will be. There is one rule, if they can't remember what store the gift is in, their out of luck.

The past few trips it has been $5 per day per kid(oldest 3)....Last trip it was the money they had saved from allowance....

DD 10 had about $95
DS 9 had about $70
DS 8 had about $70

Let them spend what ever/how ever they wanted....they were pretty good about their purchases...In Oct it will be allowance savings again.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter