Do You Get Sad When You Finish A Chapter of Life?

Saphire

DIS Veteran
I am the sentimental type and often think about something being the last time I do this or that. For instance, at Christmas time I thought about it being the last year with a child living at home. December sure will be different without my active teen daughter here and the whirlwind that she brings. Now, I see I have passed it on to her. She was in a drama performance this weekend, and she realized it was the last time she would ever perform in her high school lecture hall. It brought tears, and I shake my head seeing she is just like me. Do you know what I mean? :(

I know exactly what you mean. This Christmas will be the last I get to spend with my parents living in my house and that makes me sad. Our last Disney trip will be the last I ever had before I get married. I think about those kind of things all of the time. Life goes by so fast. :sad1:

The saddest I have ever been was when my DD weaned from breastfeeding. Of course, I'm sure hormones had a little to do with it......

my DS is graduating from elementary school this summer and moving on to middle school in the fall. I get really sad thinking about it. He's grown so fast. I still remember the day he clutched my hand as we walked into his kindergarten class on the first day of school and how I told him it was going to be ok, and how he will love school! My DD is only in 2nd grade, but she'll be moving on to middle school before I know it! :sad1:

I'm halfway through my book. I'm going to try to read the second half more slowly. ;)

If this pregnancy chapter doesn't end soon I am going to lose it! :rotfl: I do know what you mean though. Each time one of my children enters a new chapter I do feel sad. I cried my eyes out when DD started kindergarten and I knew I wasn't going to have her at home with me every day anymore.

Oh gosh yes! I sooo do that too! Last everything, wonder why I don't think oh this is the first of something? I really passed it on to my DD too. She does it all the time too. Guess we rub off more than we know.

if you have just inspired me, i'll mention you in the liner notes. i promise.

Yes, People do it all the time; It's quite normal. If you're feeling bad, just think about the best place you go after you live!

Sad. My brother died in 1980, my father in 1990, my mother in 2000, my other brother in 2003. I am the last. My DH and I could not have children. My brother that died in 1980 didnt have children. My other brother did and I love his children so. I have no uncles or aunts left and no cousins. Whoo reality is a harsh thing sometimes. But I love life and all my friends(they are my family now).
Kiss the ones you Love, tell them you Love them. Nobody knows when it will be the last time you can. Hug your children and if you love your parents tell them.:love: :love:

This is almost silly, but I was helping our DS do his Valentines for his class this weekend, and I realized that this would be the last year for this. DS is our youngest, and he is in 6th grade - the last year of elementary school.

Watching him write each card, tape a piece of chocolate, go over his class list . . . made me a bit sad that we won't be doing this anymore . . .:sad1:

I am the sentimental type and often think about something being the last time I do this or that. For instance, at Christmas time I thought about it being the last year with a child living at home. December sure will be different without my active teen daughter here and the whirlwind that she brings. Now, I see I have passed it on to her. She was in a drama performance this weekend, and she realized it was the last time she would ever perform in her high school lecture hall. It brought tears, and I shake my head seeing she is just like me. Do you know what I mean? :(

Oh you just described me to a T.
I am so much the person you described.

Yes and no. I've been told by numerous people that I'm very good at "building walls", so I can put my past behind me and not dwell on it.

I do feel a little sad when one chapter ends, but mainly, I try to remember that new chapters are good too - and exciting even. Like it's a little sad that my DD is going to college in the fall, but I'm also thrilled to see that she's come so far and I'm excited for her to begin a new chapter in her own life - who am I to feel bad - she's DYING to get out of high school.;) :)

OMG I just LOST it on my son's last day of Pre-K. He's my baby, and on the last day of school, the class "friend", a teddy bear, was passed around for all the kids to give a hug goodbye to. The teacher was so wonderful all year, and I kept thinking of my son being gone all day in the fall, it was too much. I was a mess. It probably didn't help that my oldest was going into high school in the fall as well!:rotfl:

I do get sad as a I watch my youngest outgrow certain things. I was so sad when he told me a few months ago he was too big for "Little People" toys. (Fisher Price) We packed them up and gave them to someone I know who has foster children, so he and I made a big deal out of it, but it was so sad!

OK, I'll be the dissenter. I really don't think the "last time" for something makes me sad. IMO, when one chapter ends, another begins. I cherish memories of the past, but don't pine for them.

I eagerly look forward to the future and what it holds. The greatest awe and joys of my life include watching my kids learn and grow and change.

If I could go back in time and change one of the endings of one of my chapters, I honestly don't think I would do it. There have been good and bad and happy and sad chapters. But, in the end, they all finished the "right" way for me.

I actually get more emotional at "firsts" than I do of "lasts." I cry on their first day of each grade, their first talent show performance, first gymnastics class, etc. It just seems more optimistic to me, and I am crying happy tears that the kids are entering new phases in their lives.

Denae

Saphire, I was in your shoes a year ago. When we dropped DD off at college this August, DH and I cried all the way home. It was SO hard the next day when she wasn't here. The house felt empty and I felt like our family would never be the same. By the end of the weekend, though, a feeling of peace started to come over me. Sorta like, "We've done a good job of raising her, and she's where she should be."

Fast forward to last night. We went up to Boulder to take DD out to dinner. She looked absolutely beautiful. I know I'm a biased mother, but she was positively glowing; she's so happy at college. She invited DS to come up this Friday to spend the night with her - mind you, these were two siblings that fought CONSTANTLY when they were both home as teenagers. They gave each other big bear hugs last night. For a parent, there is no better feeling. I can't even express how happy you are when you see your child thriving.

So, yes, I do get sad when a chapter closes, but I also get a little excited because that means there's a new one beginning!!

Glad I'm not the only one who does this. My daughter just turned 7 this week, and the night before her birthday I cried my eyes out because I thought to myself, "this is the last time I'll have a six year old."

I cried when my son lost his first tooth. My husband asked me why, and all I could answer was "I remember carrying him on my hip when he was a baby and feeling for his first tooth, and now he's losing it." I am very sentimental. I will need prayers when both of my kids move out and I have an empty nest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter