Do you get offended if someone does not like your town, city or state?

Hi
I am asking this because I have notice some people really get offended if you do not like a city. My mother was angry at her best friend for saying things about the city we grew up in. I told my mom her friend was right about the things she said about the city. Also I told a friend I hated a city I have been to on vacation many times and she got all mad because she said it is the greatest city ever. I love a city I use to live in and would move back there if I could afford it. But I do not get offended or mad if someone hates it. I see the good and bad in places I live.

LOL no

Not at all. I think being offended has become an Olympic caliber sport. I choose to not participate. Say what you want. Let me say what I want. Then move on with your day.
:thumbsup2 That's exactly what I would do. I think. Not sure though; I've never heard anything negative said about where I live, because...Calgary, right!?! :lmao:

I used to get really offended when my jerk of a "father" (from Indiana) would remark, out of nowhere, that Connecticut was backwards. And he was sincere in this belief. But I stopped speaking to him 30 years ago, and he's been dead for 12 of those years, so...eh...

Now, no, I don't get offended. Frankly, the town I live in IS starting to become a cesspool. Skyrocketing crime and local taxes, lousy school system, people and businesses leaving en masse, so if someone points it out...no rose-colored glasses here.

I live in Jersey, so I'm used to the insults.

But what gets me is people who've never been here and immediately knock it because of things they've heard from people on seen on TV (stereotypes). I've been to so many cities via work travel that I've never expected to like, and ended up loving!!

I'm from New Orleans. People say all kinds of things that are just way off base. I don't care, though.

Grew up in WV, live in AL the comments are hilarious...considering I moved from one southern state to another. In AL they call me that Yankee from WV, in WV when we visit my mom they say my children have a southern twang...but aside from using the phrase yes maam/ sir they sound like locals to me. In AL I had people ask me if the mountain folk wore shoes...it was ridiculous since I never saw a barefoot kid in walmart til I moved to AL.

About my city (Orlando), yeah, to a degree. I get really tired of people visiting and only seeing the tourist areas and judging the whole city on that. A doctor of mine in NYC once dismissed Orlando as being "very fake" based on one visit to the I-Drive area. We have a beautiful downtown with historic districts, tree-canopied brick streets, local shops and restaurants, farmer's markets, etc.

No, I would never be offended by people's opinion's of my town, or even State.
Having said that, there is a difference between saying things like "Oh, NY has a big drug problem", and "Everyone in NY is on drugs". The latter could be offensive to someone who is easily offended.

Offended? Not at all, lol...*I* don't like it so no way do I expect others to. I DO love Chicago, but not Illinois. I have had some doozy comments made and I have had to bite my tongue once in a while, but I don't think those saying stuff were intentionally throwing shade, just really had an incomplete assessment

I don't care if it's genuine, but if it's just because of a stereotype it is a little frustrating. I don't care if lots of people don't want to live here, more space for me :)
Yup that's pretty much it. I have a lot of love for where I live but it does irk me a bit when comments are made based on stereotypes (I'm sure that's been evident though already in some of my posts). I also don't care if you (general you not you you lol) don't want to live where I'm at either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter