• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you find the $$ pricing to be accurate?

krismanda

Mouseketeer
We need to pay out of pocket for some of our meals because we only have dining plan for 7 of the 8 nights we are staying and we are over on TS. I was trying to kind of guesstimate which would be the best to pay out of pocket. Do you think Disney's eating system $ - $$$$ is fairly accurate ?

We need to pay for two of these out of pocket:
TRex dinner - $$
Cinderellas Royal Table breakfast - $$$
Ohana dinner - $$$
Be Our Guest dinner - $$
Tusker House breakfast - $$
Biergarten lunch - $$
Sci Fi lunch - $$
Boma dinner - $$$

Just look at the menus - factor in the prices of the meals you will most likely order and budget accordingly

Why go by the very vague $$$ scale when you can get the actual prices either at WDW info (at the top of the page under the blue Dining box) or at allears.net menus?

We need to pay out of pocket for some of our meals because we only have dining plan for 7 of the 8 nights we are staying and we are over on TS. I was trying to kind of guesstimate which would be the best to pay out of pocket. Do you think Disney's eating system $ - $$$$ is fairly accurate ?

TRex dinner - $$
Ohana dinner - $$$
Be Our Guest dinner - $$
Biergarten lunch - $$
Sci Fi lunch - $$
Boma dinner - $$$

Second what PPs said about checking out the menus for exact prices. It seems most of these are one set price for buffet/AYCTE dining. The only ones where the price may fluctuate with ordering off a menu are Trex, Be Our Guest, and Sci Fi. So keep in mind you can skip dessert or extra drinks there, or even share entrees between family members to save money, but at the others you'll be paying a set price for every member of your group.

Personally I would pay OOP for Sci Fi. Altough if you are lighter eaters then maybe share an entree at T-Rex as the portions are massive and pay OOP for that.

That was my original plan but the family looked at me like I was crazy when I asked what they thought they would eat lol !

Just trying to get a good estimate in.

That was my original plan but the family looked at me like I was crazy when I asked what they thought they would eat lol !

That's where it's convenient to be vegetarian (few items on each menu to choose from) and have other ingredient issues (desserts are nearly right out for us). :)

But...you know your family. You can take a shot at figuring out what they might order, can't you?

Well, you could try to guess what they'd probably get, especially since you are just trying to get a good estimate, anyway! Or, what I have done for myself and DD24, is to pick the most expensive thing off the menu(and dinners, we often do get the steaks so that's a pretty good guess, lol), figuring in drinks and possible desserts, and calculate using those numbers. Then I know the most it'll probably be. I may be off with too low of an estimate, maybe we get dessert when not planned or an extra drink, but other times we're too high, so it all evens out.

Now the suggestion to do the CRT oop isn't a bad one actually. That will cost each person 2 dining credits. I don't know exactly how much they cost these days, but say it's about $60. And say you spend 10 on a counter service meal and 5 on snacks, so that's like getting your dinner for $45 each day. Obviously not including tips, either. So that's $90 value, at least, eating that crt meal on the ddp will cost each adult, much more than the actual cost of that meal. My DD24 and I were going to Le Cellier last year and were figuring out the now signature cost there. We realized that would be much more expensive and when we went we actually spent about $120 there in cash for both of us. If we had eaten there using the ddp, we each would have used 2 credits, that's two dinners worth, and then had to pay for another dinner. So no deal at all. Not so bad if it was one credit. Anyway, hope that wasn't too confusing, lol!

I will say that last year my DD24 finally convinced me to try dining oop and it definitely was cheaper! We made a spread sheet of each day, which meal we thought we'd get from the menu or the most expensive thing. It was cheaper than what the ddp would have cost us for the 8 days, and even after we ended up adding a day. And we had, I think, about 13 TS meals along with cs and snacks. And we included some alcoholic drinks as well. We did save even more by having the TIW card(saves 20% at many places), which was nice.

Do remember that if you have the Disney Visa, many places give 10% off so use that to help your oop dining!

If you were going to do the two cheapest meals, I bet that'd be the two lunches.

I would think Sci Fi lunch and T-Rex dinner would likely be the cheapest meals, depending on what's ordered. Sci Fi has a lot of sandwiches/burgers which tend to be on the cheaper end. T-Rex is a chain and although it's priced a little higher being in a tourist area, it's still cheaper than some of the character buffets mentioned.

TRex dinner - $$
Ohana dinner - $$$
Be Our Guest dinner - $$
Biergarten lunch - $$
Sci Fi lunch - $$
Boma dinner - $$$

For the 10 and over crowd, I would just pay OOP for CRT breakfast. Two-credit meals are rarely worthwhile on the DDP for "adults." Breakfasts are also not the best use of credits, so CRT breakfast is a double whammy for OOP.

For kids, it might be better to use DDP at CRT then pay OOP somewhere else, but that is just too much work to me.

The other benefit to doing CRT OOP would be that you can call and get the exact price for CRT (tax and tip included) on the day you go...it would make budgeting very convenient.

Of course, if you want to complicate things, you can also share food at TRex, BOG dinner and Sci Fi. So if you have two adults at Sci Fi, you could order 2 milkshakes and a burger with 1 adult credit (drink, entree, dessert) and you would each get a milkshake and half a burger/fries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter