Do you find DDP worth it

We decided to try this out once when we went on an adult only trip with good friends of ours for a 5 day "long weekend" back in 2009. We gave up our AP rate at the resort and did the "FREE DINING" just so we could try it at an adult pace before tackling it with 4 kids.

3 days into it I was so uncomfortable that it kinda spoiled the rest of my trip. I mean, when I can't even think about having a margarita in Mexico the last day of my trip because my stomach is aching from all the rich plentiful food - something is just not right!! ;)

We have the TiW card and use it multiple times a year. I like the flexibilty of that, plus, we enjoy using the kitchen (on a limited basis) in the villa. The price of this card keeps going up as well, though so we probably will stop buying it pretty soon....

It wasn't about the savings for us, it was more curiousity and "testing the waters" before jumping in with the entire family. I am glad we tried it, but it definitely doesn't make sense for our family and we won't do it again.

We did the dining plans for a few trips when they were first offered. (In fact, we did them early enough that it was before the servers knew how to use them.) We've since moved away from them. We found that (1) they changed our eating habits, and (2), with the changes to the plans over the years, they're less and less of a value.

We've used Tables In Wonderland for the past three years, and have found that to be our best bet.

Having said all that, we plan to get the dining plan for our next trip. The one and only reason... we're being the Disney version of a crack dealer on this trip. (The first one's free!) :rotfl2: We've told the kids that we want to take them and the two granddaughters to WDW for their first time, and everything will be on us. We've booked a two-bedroom MK view at BLT, will pay their air fare and rental car, are taking care of their tickets, and will add the dining plan to the room. It's all very selfish, really. We're setting the hook to get everyone as addicted to WDW as we are, so we get to spend more time with the grandkids on future trips. (They're on their own dime for everything except the room after this first trip. :rotfl:)

So we're basically doing the dining plan so we call tell them meals are all paid in advance, and all they need to do is use their credits. There can't be any arguments over who is going to pick up which check. (Well, I guess we'll argue over the tips, but I can live with that.)

We have the TIW card and have never done the DDP but I kinda wished we had it when we at Teppan Edo last month. It was wonderful BUT they didn't take the TIW card so it was a pricey meal.:scared: I DO try to be sure we eat at places that take the TIW card but we just wanted to try Teppan Edo for once.

Anyway, we're a family of 3 with DS now being 15 and eating 2x more than DH and I combined...so the TIW is nice because it's a 20% discount and he can order whatever he wants and I don't worry over the price so much. We got the card for $75 with our AP discount on our spring break trip. I LOVE that the gratuity is included on the checks so that we just pay whatever the total is. On that trip we used it at Ohana, 50's Prime & the Tune-In Lounge, Via Napoli, Chefs de France, The Plaza, La Hacienda de San Angel and the Pub in UK plus Pizzafari in AK. I calculated that after we allowed for the $75 investment we saved an additional $40 something. We just came back from our summer trip in August and we used it at Boma, Biergarten, ESPN Club, Big River Grille, the UK Pub, Planet Hollywood (just drinks), Flame Tree BBQ, The Plaza, Crystal Palace and 50's Prime. We saved $134.42 altogether on these places - added to what we saved in the spring & our net savings was around $175. There is a slim possibility that we would go again next spring and could get a 3rd trip out of it if we DO go. I think the TIW card is an especially good deal for any family that is larger or for families traveling together since it covers up to 10 people per table. :thumbsup2

We did the dining plans for a few trips when they were first offered. (In fact, we did them early enough that it was before the servers knew how to use them.) We've since moved away from them. We found that (1) they changed our eating habits, and (2), with the changes to the plans over the years, they're less and less of a value.

We've used Tables In Wonderland for the past three years, and have found that to be our best bet.

Having said all that, we plan to get the dining plan for our next trip. The one and only reason... we're being the Disney version of a crack dealer on this trip. (The first one's free!) :rotfl2: We've told the kids that we want to take them and the two granddaughters to WDW for their first time, and everything will be on us. We've booked a two-bedroom MK view at BLT, will pay their air fare and rental car, are taking care of their tickets, and will add the dining plan to the room. It's all very selfish, really. We're setting the hook to get everyone as addicted to WDW as we are, so we get to spend more time with the grandkids on future trips. (They're on their own dime for everything except the room after this first trip. :rotfl:)

So we're basically doing the dining plan so we call tell them meals are all paid in advance, and all they need to do is use their credits. There can't be any arguments over who is going to pick up which check. (Well, I guess we'll argue over the tips, but I can live with that.)

You are so devious.... we would totally do the same thing!! WELL PLAYED. :rolleyes1

Like most Disney deals, when first introduced, the DDP and TIW were a cost savings, now not so much.

The best savings is to eat in your villa or off site. Disney food as we all know is over priced, tends to be the same in several places and the portions are shrinking.

:earsboy: Bill

My family loves eating in the villa. I always feel like a need a vacation after my vacation.

We dont do it when we go alone but we do it when we take our Granddaughter because everynight we have to do a meal with someone dancing around swinging a napkin LOL

It is only Dh and I and our previous trips we have done the deluxe DP as we like signature and table service and rarely eat QS. Even with the couple credits we usually have left over we have always come out ahead. But for our trip next year we are going to do TIW.

I took all our reciepts from last trip and added everything up to figure out what we would have spent with TIW as opposed to the savings we got (from what we spent vs paid for DP) last time and even with the price of the TIW and all our snacks and buying the refillable mugs they came within about $100 of each other. So we decided we will go with TIW as we will save more money since we won't always feel we need to order appetizers or dessert just to get the best value. Plus the discount on alcohol will be a good savings to.

We prefer TIW. DDP isn't our normal eating style and to save money we have to eat more than we really wood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter