Do you feel the need to respond to abled guests complaints or comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisab372

Earning My Ears
I usually don't but on our last trip we had a complaint that pushing our DD12 in a wheelchair all day is no different than this particular guest pushing her baby stroller all day, and why should the parent who was not pushing the wheelchair be allowed to accompany them since it means I would be guaranteed a seat.

The bus driver was wonderful, and noticed our daughter's anguish at the thought of me not accompanying her on her seat (as DH always folds the chair and stands at the rear, this led her to believe she would sit alone) and told her never to worry about being separated from her family. After he seated us, the driver closed the doors and actually spoke to the rude guest in line, although we have no idea what was actually said.

My husband was very angry, and if he had not been the one on the wheelchair ramp while moving, I am sure there would have been a very different outcome.

It go to show their are great drivers at Disney but the very few bad ones over shadow the good ones. Please don't let anyone ruin your trip it not worth it their people who will say stupid comments. All that matter is you and your family have a great trip and your ds hets loaded safely. The other guest was proberly just jealous of you for the fact that you can enjoy your trip with out having to say comments to other people. Well at least you ha a great driver that stepped in and took control of the situation giving you and your family and great ride and giving that guest a good talking to.

I use forearm crutches to get around and got an ECV while at Disney, there were 2 times there were comments made about my 2 kids getting on with me. But, let me mention that my DS14 was holding my crutches ready for me when I got off the ECV and my DD16 was there holding all our things. While heading out of the MK and a comment was made, the driver 'light heartedly' made a comment that anyone else was welcome to come up and assist me :love: My DD14 was always the first to give up his seat to someone with a child or an older person anyways.

My particular favorite was when you are quite plainly sitting in the ECV/WC box, the bus pulls up opens the door and lowers the ramp and someone runs over from the main line to get in the bus. Then they get upset when the driver stops them and explains that the ramp is for the scooter. I felt so bad for our one driver, this happened and she politely stopped them at the ramp and they called her all sorts of unpleasant things. (In spanish AND english even when getting off the bus) We had a really nice conversation when we got to DHS while she was getting the ECV unhooked and hopefully brightened her day a bit.

We have heard some of those comments over the years, but feel it is better to not engage the complainer.
You are not likely to change their mind and just might make them more angry. Once anger takes over, it is hard to predict or control what will happen.

I’m glad the buss driver took care of it. If you are somewhere else and a CM can handle them, that would be best. If they get out of control, they can even be kicked out of the park.

I have to chime in here for a moment.. sometimes it isn't even just able bodied guests it is also those with a disability that is different than yours.. :( they feel the need for you to explain why you "want" certain things.

My DD14 was always the first to give up his seat to someone with a child or an older person anyways.

But would your daughter get up for someone with an invisible disability who asked for a seat? I have a lot of problems with that kind of situation where people assume that because I'm not elderly and my mobility aid is attached to my leg I don't need a seat and even make comments when I ask. I'm sure your daughter would, because you seem like a great parent and your kids sound awesome and helpful, but not everyone would and it's something to watch out for.

The only time I ever responded to a comment was when a guy grabbed his son by the hand picked him up and threw him in front of my scooter to get in front of me then started yelling at me for almost hitting him.

My children and now my grandchildren always give up their seat for an adult to sit

I would not respond to something said to/about myself, but I have said something to others on line talking about someone else boarding in a scooter.

My partner and I are both scooter users. On one trip where we had a scooter malfunction issue on our way out of the park my partner had to get off her ECV and push it in neutral on the ramp onto the ferry at MK. I was behind her and heard the people make snarky comments about how "IT'S A MIRACLE!" that she was able to walk.

I didn't want to get into a fight at MK... but anywhere else it would have been on.

My partner and I are both scooter users. On one trip where we had a scooter malfunction issue on our way out of the park my partner had to get off her ECV and push it in neutral on the ramp onto the ferry at MK. I was behind her and heard the people make snarky comments about how "IT'S A MIRACLE!" that she was able to walk.

I didn't want to get into a fight at MK... but anywhere else it would have been on.
And, then some of them come on discussion boards and comment about how they “know” the person they saw did not “need” it because they got off an pushed it - from a 30 to 60 second slice of time observation.
Almost like they are bragging for causing someone else pain with their comment. :sad2:

That's the thing, too. DD is able to transfer, but certainly cannot stand unattended, nor make more than a few steps on her own. When people hear that she has CP, they say she looks fine. However, they don't know what they are looking for. You don't see the AFO's underneath her pants or inside her shoes, nor the fact that her limbs are thin as toothpicks inside her clothes and those are only a few of the issues that are physically visible. Not to mention all of the things on the inside.

But would your daughter get up for someone with an invisible disability who asked for a seat? I have a lot of problems with that kind of situation where people assume that because I'm not elderly and my mobility aid is attached to my leg I don't need a seat and even make comments when I ask. I'm sure your daughter would, because you seem like a great parent and your kids sound awesome and helpful, but not everyone would and it's something to watch out for.

OOps I meant DS14, DD is 16 LOL But anyways, if someone were to ask for a seat they totally would give it up :) Unfortunately they have grown up seeing not only my visible disabilites but we have close family members with 'invisible' disabilities also such as fibro, lupus and RSD so they are aware there may be reasons for someone asking :)

The only time I ever responded to a comment was when a guy grabbed his son by the hand picked him up and threw him in front of my scooter to get in front of me then started yelling at me for almost hitting him.

My children and now my grandchildren always give up their seat for an adult to sit

:eek: How can a parent even do that to their child is beyond me. They are going to chance their child getting hurt to jump in front of you.. that is just out right stupid.. sorry to say, but it is true. It amazes me what some people do sometimes and think nothing of the consequences that may end up happening.. :sad2: Would he throw his child under the wheels of a bus to make them stop for him too.....:rolleyes:

And, then some of them come on discussion boards and comment about how they “know” the person they saw did not “need” it because they got off an pushed it - from a 30 to 60 second slice of time observation.
Almost like they are bragging for causing someone else pain with their comment. :sad2:

no one should have to explain their problems.. ;) even those that are not visible to the naked eye.....:goodvibes no one should be told to deal with it.. it is just an unfair world sometimes.. all around... :upsidedow

and yes, we are all somewhat guilty of this to a certain degree, some are just more out spoken than others :sad2: Until we all "walk" in someones shoes, we cannot "see" what they must endure.. :flower3:

I had some lady complain loudly and try to get me to leave the line with my stroller. She wouldn't shut up, so I finally had to tell her that I had a card that gave me permission to use it in the line due to my son's disability. That shut her up quick and her husband looked embarrassed. :sad2:

When I see someone in a wheelchair it just makes me so grateful that I don't need one! I feel badly that so many people seem to resent people with special needs having the nerve to use the Disney buses. I think the vast majority of folks feel the way I do, but the idiots who can't keep their lips zipped, or worse, seem to stand out. Some people will just never get over their sense of entitlement or superiority or whatever makes them think that their needs should be met before others. I'm sorry you had this experience and hope it didn't ruin your day.:flower3:

I had some lady complain loudly and try to get me to leave the line with my stroller. She wouldn't shut up, so I finally had to tell her that I had a card that gave me permission to use it in the line due to my son's disability. That shut her up quick and her husband looked embarrassed. :sad2:

We have had the same thing happen. I just ignore them now and if I have people come up ( not CM's but guest) and tell me that strollers are not allowed I just tell them thank you and go on about my way.
I used to feel the need to try and explain things because I did not want people to think badly of me or my children, but then i learned that it is almost pointless and I'm not going to ruin my vacation over them.

We have had the same thing happen. I just ignore them now and if I have people come up ( not CM's but guest) and tell me that strollers are not allowed I just tell them thank you and go on about my way.
I used to feel the need to try and explain things because I did not want people to think badly of me or my children, but then i learned that it is almost pointless and I'm not going to ruin my vacation over them.

I had some people also talking about my being in line with the stroller but I just smiled and ignored the comments when it happened. I didn't feel like explaining my need for it but would have if anyone actually asked me directly. Instead they just talked amongst themselves about it while I was standing right there.

My elderly mother used a scooter for our recent trip for the first time, usually I push her in a wheelchair but I couldn't do that and push a 3 year old in a stroller so she agreed to the scooter, although she was terrified of using it. With some practice she learned to use if safely just fine but in large crowds she got so stressed that she preferred to walk slowly pushing the stroller for support and let me deal with the ECV, and there were comments! But NO one seemed to mind too much if I took it on and off the buses, all it took was seeing her try and how much time it took and and they realized if they wanted to get on the bus, it was much better to have me do it, I never heard a nasty comment but there might have been some. I will say that we made sure to avoid busy times as much as we could so that it wasn't an issue most of the time but that wasn't always possible. But as I have read so many times on the DISboards, most people would be HAPPY to not have to use wheelchairs or ECV's if they were able to do Disney without them! The people that make comments may some day be in the position to use them and they will have an eye opening experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter