Do you feel guilty or uneasy going solo?

I'm planning on taking a solo trip sometime next year, though I'm not sure when would be the best time to go. In a way, I'd like to have someone to share things with. But it'll be nice to be able to do what I want, when I want, without having to discuss it (or argue about it) with anybody.

i love solo trips.
i have been doing them for the past 7 years........

i leave the family behind for 17 days in orlando.

i stay on site at the motherland then transfer to the darkside resorts for the rest of my trip.
i booked the '12 trip already.

i can eat when i want to, sleep in some days, do all the rides that my family never would do.

it is a real relaxing vacation for me. i completely de-stress during this time.
and, i do not get homesick.
i call home each day i am away and can be contacted by my family anytime while i am gone.

i do a family trip during the year, and one solo trip.
and dh does a couple of solo camping trips each year also.

I am 26 and went for the first time alone last October. It was the first time I was away from my then 18 month old daughter overnight. The hubby stayed at home with her. It was the most amazing 5 days of my life! I am very independent, and NO ONE can keep up with my pace on vacation (I was up 7am to 1 am every day I was there, at the parks open to close).

I enjoyed time to be inside my head with my own thoughts, and do what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it, as long as I wanted to do it, without worrying what my daughter/husband wanted to do/eat/how long they wanted sleep/swim/etc. No temper tantrums, no 8 o'clock bedtimes. Plus I could spend a lot of time with my other baby (my Nikon) around the parks without being rushed while I was getting my "perfect shot" or setting up a tripod for fireworks and waiting for an hour before they started lol.

Selfish? NO WAY! I came back from that trip so refreshed and rejeuvanated! I have vowed to make it a yearly trip for myself. As a mom you are ALWAYS putting others needs before your own, so for just 5 days out of 365, I don't see ANYTHING wrong with going alone!

How could I feel guilty? My first solo trip was a Mother's Day gift from my DH! He supports and actually enjoys the fact that I go solo sometimes. For one reason, I do lots of "kiddie"-type rides-Dumbo, Barnstormer, Triceratop Spin, etc. when I'm solo that he doesn't like to do. The other reason is that I often try new resturants and new foods, etc. that I can introduce him to the next time we go together.

I never feel guilt but I do feel strange sometimes. I'm older than dirt... ... Standing in line for Peter Pans Flight only gets odd when you get to the load area and are asked, "how many in your group". When you say one it seems to cause a bit of undue attention.

You sound a lot like me. lol

I would rather have my spouse with me, but if my choice is solo or no-go... easy choice.

I am pretty shy to new people, never lived alone and never went anywhere alone. Disney is actually the perfect place for a solo trip for someone like me. I can stay on site, never have to worry about driving, and have plenty of distractions to help keep me from being too lonely.

As far as flying. This will only be my second time to fly alone. ( First time was my first solo Disney trip.) I am still apprehensive. This time I will have a stop over and my flight time is going to double. Also, I am having some problems with migraines and worry that I will get one in flight with no one to help me! :scared1:

Honestly, with so much to see and do, you don't have too much time to get lonely. At night I was always so tired that I didn't even get lonely then, I just fell into the shower and then to bed!

I don't have any kids, so take it for what it's worth. I'm going to be in WDW solo for my first time. I'm attending a conference (and a friend will be there) and then I figured I'd extend my trip. My friend is leaving on Sunday, but I'm staying until Wednesday. So I'll be by myself from Sunday afternoon - Wednesday morning. I don't have a problem doing things by myself. I'll get to go where I want when I want; I'll get to eat where ever I want. If I want a cupcake for breakfast, I can have it and not have anyone bug me about it. So I'm trying to embrace it! It'll be nice to get away and get some peace and quiet!

Hello everyone! Thank you once again for all of the great replies! I have to be honest. Sorry if this is long. My husband was laid off several weeks ago. It is not a permanent lay-off. He works in the construction industry and when a job is finished, they get laid-off until another job starts. Work has been slow in recent months. I had the park tickets and plane tickets paid for and half of the room amount. Not knowing how long his lay-off would be I decided to cancel the room reservation and use the money towards bills or other family related things. Everything is up in the air right now. I'm feeling really bummed! He should be going back to work by the 19th of February, so I may re-book a cheaper room. I was going to stay at a moderate resort, but now if I go, I may book a value.

I'm not sure how to respond to private messages. I recently received one and tried to respond, but the website was saying that there was an error.

Anyway, I hope all of you on the dis-boards have a wonderful and blessed day.

I have gone to WDW twice in the last 2 years (09, 11) both with friends. The first one, I had to drag out of bed every morning, and the second one, she was up at 5:30-6:00am very morning!!

I am going solo to Disneyland in 12 days. I am looking forward to sleeping in and getting up when I want to:woohoo:

I do eat at resturaunts by myself and will go to movies by myself (usually Sunday afternoons) so I think I will be okay. I also live alone and have been single (by choice) for over 3 years, so being alone doesn't bother me. I am a little worried about long lines and having no one I know to talk to though.

If you do end up going and you don't enjoy yourself, then don't go solo again. You will never know if you don't try:lovestruc

I have gone to WDW twice in the last 2 years (09, 11) both with friends. The first one, I had to drag out of bed every morning, and the second one, she was up at 5:30-6:00am very morning!!

I am going solo to Disneyland in 12 days. I am looking forward to sleeping in and getting up when I want to:woohoo:

I do eat at resturaunts by myself and will go to movies by myself (usually Sunday afternoons) so I think I will be okay. I also live alone and have been single (by choice) for over 3 years, so being alone doesn't bother me. I am a little worried about long lines and having no one I know to talk to though.

If you do end up going and you don't enjoy yourself, then don't go solo again. You will never know if you don't try:lovestruc

Hope you have a great time! You are right. I will never know until I try.
I guess I'm the type of person who always follows the familiar. I'm not afraid to be alone, but I am hesitant to be that far away from home and like I said before, I have never been on a plane, so I think that is my biggest fear.

I should know by the end of the month if this trip will happen or not. I'll just have to wait and see.:rolleyes1

I think Disney solo trips are a great way to spread your wings so to speak.:) I did my first when I was looking for a fun way to renew a visa (I was living in Turkey and needed to leave and re-enter the country - cheap flights to Paris and voila a solo Disneyland Paris trip was born):idea:. I enjoyed it so much that I have had so far four solo trips - three to Disneyland Paris and one to WDW.:goodvibes

What I appreciate about a Disney solo trip to WDW -

Magical Express and Disney transportation make it very easy - you may feel very "cared for" and "looked after" as a solo at WDW especially if you are not often traveling solo to places.
People everywhere so I never felt alone.
Easy to strike up conversations and enjoy seeing people enjoy all things Disney.
Never a lack of something to do or see or experience.

FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN!

I used to live 10 miles from Disneyland and I went there solo at least twice a month. I am now going on my second solo trip to WDW at the end of this month.

If you enjoy doing things on your own, going solo at Disney will not be a problem for you.

If you are worried people might look at you funny because you're alone, don't be. A) Disney Cast and Crew have seen everything.. from parties of a hundred to singles of every age. It's nothing new for them and mostly all they are concerned with is that the guests have a good time. I have never gotten a strange look going on any ride solo. Including the kiddie rides.. like the Casey Jones Circus Train in Disneyland... which is REALLY "kiddie." B) Other guests at Disney are really too busy enjoying/dealing with their own vacation to worry discuss someone else.

I have eaten at every type of restaurant alone.. from fine dining to quick service. My meals have been like they would be if others were with me. In fact, some have been better solo because the wait staff have had time to talk to me one on one as opposed to having to deal with a group. I spend a lot of time people watching, but I have been known to play with my iphone, nintendo DS, or read a book while I eat.

I LOVE the parks at night... and sometimes just being in the park is enough for me. I'll sit and look around or watch people or whip out the iphone and place some games. I feel that most people would look at me and think "he's waiting for his group to come by" not "oh how sad he's alone." Especially, when they see that I am happy to be there.

I've actually had people tell me they were jealous of me because I was solo-ing it. They would have loved to have the freedom to do it their way and not have to give in to everyone else's wishes.

I have done Disney (World and Land) with one other person and with up to 20+ other people. I have always found the smaller the group the better. Solo may not always be "the best", but it's still a lot of fun!

Hello everyone! Thank you once again for all of the great replies! I have to be honest. Sorry if this is long. My husband was laid off several weeks ago. It is not a permanent lay-off. He works in the construction industry and when a job is finished, they get laid-off until another job starts. Work has been slow in recent months. I had the park tickets and plane tickets paid for and half of the room amount. Not knowing how long his lay-off would be I decided to cancel the room reservation and use the money towards bills or other family related things. Everything is up in the air right now. I'm feeling really bummed! He should be going back to work by the 19th of February, so I may re-book a cheaper room. I was going to stay at a moderate resort, but now if I go, I may book a value.

I'm not sure how to respond to private messages. I recently received one and tried to respond, but the website was saying that there was an error.

Anyway, I hope all of you on the dis-boards have a wonderful and blessed day.
I just saw your updated post - so sorry about your husband's job.:sad2: Hope things improve for you soon. I had to cancel a Christmas trip I had planned and was really bummed. If you ever decide to do a solo trip - hope you love it!

Blessings!

I've got a story on uneasiness. On my first solo trip, I was uneasy being solo-at first (think small town girl in the big bad city). I checked in to POR at a very dark 1:00am. Although they offered to take me to my room, I said I'd go alone. Until I approached a corner and heard whispers. Around the corner came.....two women in formal gowns and wearing Minnie ears! After that my uneasiness dropped considerably.

I find that disney works very hard to make solo visitors feel as welcome as any other family. I have stayed at Pop Century, CSR, POFQ and Grand Floridian and have always felt happy about being there. I enjoy both counter and table service restaurants solo (been to V & A's 3 times)

Well, husband was called back to work, but this job is only to last a week.
And he was told that after a few spring jobs it doesn't look like there will be much work this summer. So... I think the smart thing to do is to just post-pone the trip. Who knows when I'll get to go, but I would feel better knowing that I was not at Disney World spending money that could be used towards other more important things if work does not pan out well this summer. Life does go on. Disney will always be there.

To all of those who were so encouraging to me, "Thank You," and hope you all have a blessed and wonderful day. And if you are planning a trip, HAVE A GREAT TIME! :)

And he was told that after a few spring jobs it doesn't look like there will be much work this summer. So... I think the smart thing to do is to just post-pone the trip. Who knows when I'll get to go, but I would feel better knowing that I was not at Disney World spending money that could be used towards other more important things if work does not pan out well this summer. Life does go on. Disney will always be there.

To all of those who were so encouraging to me, "Thank You," and hope you all have a blessed and wonderful day. And if you are planning a trip, HAVE A GREAT TIME! :)

:thumbsup2
That, my friend, is a very wise and responsible way to look at the situation. Disney is great, no doubt about it, but it has to be put in the proper place when one is setting priorities. Good Luck and I hope you get to go soon.

Nope. I've never felt guilty leaving the kids and husband at home. I think it helps that my kids were a bit older when I did my first solo trip - the youngest was 9 at the time.

I've always figured I work very hard at home and I deserve a break. WDW is my break and I have a wonderful time.

Sometimes it just sucks being a responsible adult. :mad:

You'll get there soon! And everyone will still be here to help with advice! :)

Hello everyone! Husband is now on an eleven week job (with some overtime) :) I've still decided to wait. My kids are asking when we are going back to Disney. I keep telling them maybe next year. I'm trying to explain to them that they are building some news things that they would enjoy.

To be honest, I may never go solo. I had my courage so worked up, but I just don't know if I could ever do it. Call me a coward I guess. I will always have one ticket bought to save for later.

Have a Happy day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter