Do you feel guilty or uneasy going solo?

SDS33

Earning My Ears
I am new to the boards. Still learning what it's all about. I am going on my first solo trip without my husband and children. While a part of me is excited, a big part of me feels guilty. My husband doesn't care if he ever sees Florida ever again and my kids can't afford to miss school. I have also never been on an airplane, we always drive. So, as you can see it's definately a trip of firsts. Do any of you DIS moms ever go without your children? Do you feel lonely, or feel like a bad mom for having time to yourself?:confused:

I understand. I keep wanting to go solo but feel a little guilt, even though the only child at home is 15 and doesn't "get it". IDK...maybe next year?

Personally, I can't imagine either going on a vacation by myself or being willing to have my husband go by himself either. I don't see why someone would want to go by themselves, honestly. When I worked at WDW I was single and didn't have a lot of friends so I spent a lot of time at the parks solo and it was very lonely, IMO. I'm very excited to go there and be able to share it with people that I love. :lovestruc

It's up to you and your family. If other family members are okay with you going by yourself then why not? If you're asking you must feel at least a little guilty or unsure yourself. :confused3

Everyone is different. Just because you don't feel comfortable going by yourself, doesn't mean you should judge someone else for giving it a try.:rolleyes1

I'm not a mom, but I had the pleasure of having almost two days to myself on our last trip in October and it was wonderful. I got to take my time walking around; I looked at what I wanted to look at and bought what I wanted to buy; there was no one rushing me, or wanting to eat something different than I did. I got to pick what the next ride or show was, every time, and there were no complaints that "we just did that" or "I don't want to". I met a lot of new people, as everyone I was around was happy to talk Disney! And if I didn't want to ride and just wanted to sit and people-watch - I did! I got to decide when to leave in the morning (no waiting around) and when to come back. It was so great.

I'm going to go on a completely solo trip at some point this winter, and then back with DBF next fall - I can't wait for either!

I am a local and go on several solo day trips. I have only gone on one overnight solo trip. I have to admit I did get lonely especially in the evening, so I sat at the hotel bar and talked to the bartender and watched football and Sportscenter.

However when I am in the parks, I take the opportunity to do things I would never do if I had the kids or dbf with me. I stop and "smell the roses". I check out art exhibits in EPCOT WS that I haven't seen. I am able to ride the single rider line on RNRC at DHS several times in a row. I do not have to worry about getting to DHS at rope drop for TSM because I don't ride it solo.... I am able to eat at the restaurants I want to try without having to worry about everyone else's opinions/likes/dislikes.

I certainly think it takes a certain type of person to go solo. Some people really enjoy solo trips, some do not. I enjoy dining by myself at restaurants. I go to the movies by myself regularly.

Dbf will go with me for special occasions. He loves Food & Wine and Flower & Garden at EPCOT. We are going for our anniversary next month. We go for our birthdays. I went solo for Christmas because I love the decorations and wanted to see them. He could have cared less. We have an understanding and it works for us.

The kids of course would love to come with me for every trip. However I go solo usually when they are in school. We have trips for just the three of us and is all about them. Whatever they want to ride, whatever park they want to go to. Again, we have an understanding. It works for us.

I think this may be different for us, though, if we lived farther away. Luckily we only live 70 miles away from WDW. :goodvibes

On my overnight solo trip, I met up with 2 different DISers who were also solo. Each family actually gave them the Disney trip to them as a birthday and/or Christmas present. One is from Canada and the other is from Indiana.

Thank you for the positive replies. My kids have had several trips to the "World", so it's not like I will feel bad that i am going and that they have never been there. And I don't mean to come across As bragging. This trip is a birthday gift from my husband and he wants me to go and enjoy myself.
He is a bit burned out on the whole Disney experience. I am looking forward to be able to go at my own pace and just slow down. :)

My wife and daughter just sent me on my first solo trip last week. It was a birthday-Christmas present. I did feel a little guilty at first, but.......I had a Blast! I met another DISer from Florida, that went great. (Hi Janet) Stayed till MK was empty the first night to get some cool pics of Main Street with NO crowd. Then I got a pic of the Monorail tractor, the thing they use to do maintenance to the monorail track, very rare sight. Had a solo meet at the Tambu Lounge wend. night with 27 other solo travelers, super folks! Going solo is great because you are the boss, and no time lines to follow!:thumbsup2

That is encouraging. I know that once I get there I will have a blast too!:banana: It's just saying good-bye to my kids. I am a stay-at home mom and am not away from them very much. Others have told me that it will be good to have some mommy time and that I will come home refreshed.
I love hearing from other solo travelers cause I know that I won't be the first or the last to ever go alone.

I live very close by and go solo for the afternoon often. My wife doesn't care to go as often as I do. At first it felt odd but now I kind of like it that way at times. Eat when and where I want, see what I want. Just stroll leisurely. I notice that there are more solo visitors then you may think.

I just booked my eleventh trip for next year and only three have been with other people; the rest have all been solo.

I enjoy my trips with friends and family as much as my solo trips. Last year, I did an 8 day, all resorts, no parks trip and had a blast.

I enjoy spending time alone and use it as a time to refresh before the end of the old year and the start of a new one (I go the week after Thanksgiving). I love eating out, and usually sit at a bar (like I do at home) and meet a lot of really interesting people sitting at the bar waiting for their tables.

I get to know a lot of cast members and really take the time to interact with them. Those are the little things you don't get to do when you are with a crowd of people.

I also enjoy the shops and out of the way attractions that you don't always get to do with a larger group. I may leisurely take the Steamboat a few times, or stay for a second show at the Hall of Presidents. I do whatever I want to do and it is fantastic every trip.

I like to go by myself. It's a break to do what I want and not put the wishes of others first. In fact, I know how much I need it by the amount of effort I have to put in to figure out what I want.

Also, My husband is a rabid skier.

I've discovered:
People (CM's AND fellow guests) are more likely to talk with me when I'm alone.
Characters 'play' with me :) and I can get autographs / photos without anyone rolling their eyes.
Single rider line!
Photopass photographers have made me feel special and I've gotten some GREAT photos.
I can wear my ears and be as eccentric as I like without embarressing anyone.
I can meander at will or do a 4 park day, if that's what spirit moves me.

Go ahead, Honey! Have a blast! And leave the guilt at home!!!!

Ummmm...no. Lol! Solo trips are the best. To make it plain and simple, you can do what you want to do, when you want to do it.

I never understood why people have such a hard time doing things alone. Take going to the movies for example. I know people who would never go the movies by themselves, which I think is kind of silly considering that you're there to watch a movie and NOT talk. Also...say you wanted to go to the mall to go shopping. Would you not go because you don't have someone to go with you? Most likely the answer is no. WDW isn't any different.

I'm not a mom, but I had the pleasure of having almost two days to myself on our last trip in October and it was wonderful. I got to take my time walking around; I looked at what I wanted to look at and bought what I wanted to buy; there was no one rushing me, or wanting to eat something different than I did. I got to pick what the next ride or show was, every time, and there were no complaints that "we just did that" or "I don't want to". I met a lot of new people, as everyone I was around was happy to talk Disney! And if I didn't want to ride and just wanted to sit and people-watch - I did! I got to decide when to leave in the morning (no waiting around) and when to come back. It was so great.

I'm going to go on a completely solo trip at some point this winter, and then back with DBF next fall - I can't wait for either!

:thumbsup2 This is exactly what I would love to do!!! It's usually me, my dd & 2 of the grandkids. They are all Disney fanatics so I would feed so guilty going by myself...:guilty:

I can say that I have never felt guilty going solo. I have a blast relaxing, doing Disney "my way" - eating at all my favorite places, and of course people watching.

My kids are all adults or very close to adults and don't seem to enjoy Disney as much as I do. Same for my wife.

We've taken the kids together several times, went just the two of us several times and I've gone alone a few times now as well. I thought the same as you did the first time I went alone but I quickly found that it was kinda fun to just do whatever I want whenever I want.

I was worried about the lonely part but I do enjoy being alone so it wasn't as big of a worry as it would be for someone who does not enjoy being alone. I found myself talking to cast members a great deal and enjoying conversations with other guests that I can almost be certain wouldn't have happened if I was with a group.

You gotta at least give it a try. I think you might be surprised at how enjoyable it can be going solo.

I never understood why people have such a hard time doing things alone. Take going to the movies for example. I know people who would never go the movies by themselves, which I think is kind of silly considering that you're there to watch a movie and NOT talk. Also...say you wanted to go to the mall to go shopping. Would you not go because you don't have someone to go with you? Most likely the answer is no. WDW isn't any different.

That is funny you mention that, because I grew up as an only child and spent many happy hours amusing myself - still to this day. My roommate from college wouldn't even go to the local mall without me in tow; she didn't go anywhere alone. When she married and had children, I often begged her to come down and visit me for the weekend, but she wouldn't leave her family behind, even for a few days.

To this day, I go out to eat alone, sit at a bar and make conversation with everyone around me. I go to the movies by myself, shopping, etc. It is a great way to re-energize.

:) I am so glad to hear of all the great solo trips! If anyone has any advice on flying for the first time, I would love to hear your suggestions. (please no bad flying experiences) I'm nervous enough. I already know to wear slip on shoes, only 3 ounce liquids in your carry-on, that kind of stuff.

This may be a stupid question, but are you allowed larger bottles of say like shampoo in your checked luggage pr does it have to be 3 ounces or less also?

:) I am so glad to hear of all the great solo trips! If anyone has any advice on flying for the first time, I would love to hear your suggestions. (please no bad flying experiences) I'm nervous enough. I already know to wear slip on shoes, only 3 ounce liquids in your carry-on, that kind of stuff.

This may be a stupid question, but are you allowed larger bottles of say like shampoo in your checked luggage pr does it have to be 3 ounces or less also?

You can put as big a bottle as you like in your checked baggage - but if you're on a fairly short trip, why not use the stuff provided by the resort - it's H2O and pretty decent.

I'm not a happy flier, either. I fly Southwest in the states, which makes me a lot more comfortable than USAir and Delta used to. I try to sit close to the front where I can see a flight crew member - I figger if they're still laughing, chatting then whatever noise I've heard must not be important. I try to fly non stop. Xanax for my overseas flight. I also have a teddy bear. She doesn't mind that I squeeze the stuffing out of her on takeoffs.

Good luck!

I will be flying Southwest. Not sure exactly why I picked that airline.
I guess because I haven't heard anything bad about them. My flight is only supposed to be a little over two hours and it is nonstop. I was afraid of a lay-over in another town. I didn't want to worry about getting lost inside of two different airports. Is it fairly easy to find your way around Orlando Intl. airport? :santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter