• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you Facebook? Why or why not?

No. My ds told me not to go on because there is a certain clique of people who always seem to never invite me to anything but post lots of pictures etc. They said it would just upset you mom.

Any relative I want to contact I do it by e mail.

I dont feel the need for anyone to know all my or our family business etc.2 of the ds dont have good privacy settings on their facebook pages so sometimes people know our business, like they will know dh and I are going to disney in 2 weeks.

The friends I want to contact I usually send an e mail or an old fashioned letter, yeah, some of my friends are just so old school.

My son mostly plays Tetris on Facebook, and posts occasional stuff.

I doubt I would play the games - I am more of a "First Class Solitaire on Pogo" kinda gal!

I wouldn't befriend everybody - like I said I only want to use it for true friends. I have been told that it is easy to get sucked into being "friends" to people you don't talk to or even know (a friend of a friend). And I really don't want to befriend family, except for possibly my cousins. Closer family (read : my parents and DH's parents) = DRAMA!! And that is what I want to avoid.

I feel bad for my friend who tried to befriend my son. I told him not to respond to it. She is not his friend, but by doing the request, she basically gave me a heads up that hey! she is looking for my facebook account.

To a lot of people I know that FB is easier than making phone calls and emailing people separately.

I will look for more thoughts, and teeter more on it.

The bolded above is why I would not set up an account in your case. If you do not friend them, it will cause drama in real life because they will have hurt feelings, and you already said they are prone to drama......

I prefer not to FB, just another way for people to misinterpret what you said and feel rejected/snubbed when you don't actively participate. Also, another time-suckage I don't need. (I get enough right here on the DIS :rotfl:) I used to have a Myspace (many years ago) and these are the reasons I deleted that and do not have a facebook. I will keep calling, emailing and texting people for now unless I have a real need to keep in touch with a mass amount of people in the future (ie-long distance move from family & friends or something along those lines)

I'm not on it. Never will be. Nobody is the least bit interested in what I have to say or what I'm doing and I don't want anyone to see any pictures of me. It works for many people but not for me.

I'm really happy that I am on Facebook. Although I usually only check it a few times a week, and I don't participate in the games, I rediscovered several old friends. I chat with one of my college friends that I had lost touch with; we even met for a short weekend even though we live a few hours away.

This summer, a few people from my high school have organized a reunion for all graduation years. I did enjoy my high school reunion, but I had friends in other classes as well. Now, we can all get together.

I also post pictures for my family to see. Facebook is a really useful tool to me.

I was very against participation in that sort of social media outlet...that was until DH started saying things like, "Hey, you know so-and-so is pregnant?" or "So-and-so is coming back home to visit her parents in a couple months so we'll be able to see her then." And I was left in the cold, not knowing these things except through him. I am a competitive person, and could not allow him to know more about our friends and family than I do.

I was very against participation in that sort of social media outlet...that was until DH started saying things like, "Hey, you know so-and-so is pregnant?" or "So-and-so is coming back home to visit her parents in a couple months so we'll be able to see her then." And I was left in the cold, not knowing these things except through him. I am a competitive person, and could not allow him to know more about our friends and family than I do.

Funny you should mention that. That is the only way I found out my cousin was pregnant with her first - b/c she is friends with DH on FB. I often joke around that DH keeps in touch with my side of the family more than I do or my mom does.

I am on it. I do not friend anyone I work with but I do enjoy keeping up with friends and family on there. I'm friends with my in laws, my sons and daughters in laws, my mother, etc and there's never been any FB drama.

I am on FB. I don't post pics. I don't divulge too much personal info. I befriend on those people who I TRULY care about. If I knew you but wasn't your friend before, I certainly don't need to be your friend now.

I am on it, not really sure why, a coworker kinda got me on it. I don't have many friends, but it is a good mix of my family, DH's family and some friends from HS.

I NEVER talk about work, because 2 of my supervisors are on there and I just don' think it is appropriate either. I try to be careful of what I say most of the time. I mostly have pages of organizations we are a part of to keep up with activities and what's going on, products I use, services I use.

I used to play the games, but I don't bother anymore.

Suzanne

I use it and love it. My husband and I are both originally from other states so it's been a nice way to keep in touch with people up north. I've "met" lots of his family that I probably wouldn't have otherwise. It's also helped my relationship with my stepchildren, I think. I share pics and play games, but I don't add tons of people. I don't see any of the drama people complain about, but I also avoid adding people from my family. :laughing:

I've resisted for a long time, but I've come to the conclusion that I shouldn't hold out any longer. However, I'm primarily going to do it for work reasons so that I can use it to serve clients; if I do a personal account at all it will be very skeletal; I don't like having the real me out on the Web.

I'd prefer to avoid it entirely, but in my professional circles that makes me look like a dinosaur, and I can't afford to let that happen.

I've been on Facebook for a long time and have never had any drama. If anyone posts anything stupid, I ignore it.
I have gotten sucked into playing Frontierville. Only other friends who play the game can see the notifications from it, since I know it annoys people who don't play. I'm good about not annoying friends with game requests if they don't play them.

Just about everyone I know is on Facebook and so am I. It is where people post pics of their kids, where all of my sports teams post updates about the schedule or practice, and how I keep in touch with friends spread across the country. I go on just about every day but probably for no more then 5 or 10 minutes. I have no idea how the heck people manage to spend hours a day on there unless they are playing those stupid games.

I've also never had any of this Facebook drama because I don't feed it. Facebook is what you make of it and is only a problem if you let it be.

I agree facebook is what you make it be.

I am on Facebook to keep up with family that doesn't live nearby, especially my niece and grandniece. (I'm a 33 year old great aunt. :scared1:)

I rarely ever post. I comment occasionally, and "like" most often. I don't play the games, and I don't participate in the updated version of "send this email to ten friends in the next ten seconds and sparkly unicorns will dance across your screen."

So I do Facebook, but I am a boring friend on Facebook.

Facebook blew up when I was in college, so it was basically a necessity. It's how I met my roommate freshman year, was a huge part in my planning for disney college program semester, and helps me keep in contact with my friends/co-workers from out of state. I have dozens of pages that I follow that help me connect to my community and those with similar interests (veganism, running, NFL etc). I can't imagine life before Facebook!

I am but I hardly go on it. It is cool because you can catch up with old friends and it sucks because family stalks you. Mainly I am on there because my oldest dd (20yo) is a FB junky and we get grief from family over the crap she posts. Nice huh?

If you get on it make sure you put your security settings HIGH so people can't search you out.

The other bonus is that your local businesses, TV shows, entertainment stuff, etc. will be on there also and that is kind of cool.

The thing that I HATE about it is that people will beg you to play the games on there like "Farmville" and then ask you for stuff.

You can block any application so they can't send you those things :)

I am but I hardly go on it. It is cool because you can catch up with old friends and it sucks because family stalks you. Mainly I am on there because my oldest dd (20yo) is a FB junky and we get grief from family over the crap she posts. Nice huh?

If you get on it make sure you put your security settings HIGH so people can't search you out.

The other bonus is that your local businesses, TV shows, entertainment stuff, etc. will be on there also and that is kind of cool.

The thing that I HATE about it is that people will beg you to play the games on there like "Farmville" and then ask you for stuff.

You can block any application so they can't send you those things :)

No. It's a boundaryless invitation for people without boundaries to spy on you. This message board is full of people expressing angst over people-friends and foes- who are interferring in their lives because of Facebook. I know a child who completely lost control of his Facebook page because someone hacked in. For three weeks, someone he did not know maintained HIS page. His mother, a lawyer, finally contacted Facebook and got them to close his page. The boy couldn't convince them to close it; they kept telling him he was wrong about what was happening. My brother had to get police involved because he and his girlfriend were being physically stalked by a guy who found them through Facebook links. That's enough for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter