Do You Expect to Sell Eventually?

I'll be 67 when my AKV contract expires and I'll most likely own it until then. I've been going at least once a year since I was 4 and I'm not sick of it yet, so doubt I ever will be!

We're in our 30s with a 2 year old and an infant, and the magic is still very much alive for us. No plans to sell and hoping we get to enjoy our contracts as long as possible. I'm not under any illusions that Disney is only looking out for us. I understand that they're a large, publicly traded corporation and there will always be a business side to every decision, but for now at least, that doesn't affect our experience while on vacation and doesn't detract from the fun times we have as a family.

No plans to sell. Hope to spend a couple of months each winter in Florida. We have enough points for that. Can’t see dh doing that though as his allergies are bad down there. May be that he comes and goes over the few months and we aren’t together the whole time. Not as fun without him, but I could see the kids coming and going as well as friends. I’ll be 85 when the contract expires so long way to go yet. I love my dvc though. Warts and all. It’s my favourite place on earth besides home. And in the winters, I think I like it more than home.

We bought in 2011, and have added points along the way.. even have a contract in ROFR (put in on 1/12)... We plan to hold and use as an escape from day to day life once we move to FL. BTW anyone recommend Matiland? Someone told me it's a great community near Orlando... Presently we are up in NJ

In fact, as we eye retirement, the rising costs of dues have now become a major item for us to consider for our budget. They aren't unsubstantial costs.
AGREED! Same for us ... another reason we tell ourselves, "Sell the larger contracts ... keep the 25-pointer."

We are relatively new to DVC. I know that I will expire before my contract does. I plan on gifting it to my kids when that happens.

We have no plans to ever sell. My DD has offered to buy them off of us if we ever do want out.

No to selling.
We will be adding our adult children's names to our contracts and they will take them over

I'm open to the idea of selling if we get to a point where we're just not using it, but we probably won't. I could see just getting to a point where we rent the points yearly and use the funds to do other trips though. We got in at a good price and as long as the demand for WDW stays strong you can't really lose owning the points. Even if I do nothing but rent the points to David's I'm +1500 a year after MF.

My only issue with either putting my daughter(s) on the deed or willing it to one (or both) of them when I die is that they are then stuck with the rising MFs every year. Financially, especially for the youngest who is in college, I don't know that she would quite understand what that would entail even though she loves Disney. So, I see our main option as either outliving the contract or dumping it when the fees get too high.

My only issue with either putting my daughter(s) on the deed or willing it to one (or both) of them when I die is that they are then stuck with the rising MFs every year. Financially, especially for the youngest who is in college, I don't know that she would quite understand what that would entail even though she loves Disney. So, I see our main option as either outliving the contract or dumping it when the fees get too high.

You could always explain what the cost are and then she could decide to just rent the points out to cover the MF's until she can afford to go to Disney. Renting out the points would easily cover MF's and have a little extra income.

We bought in 2011, and have added points along the way.. even have a contract in ROFR (put in on 1/12)... We plan to hold and use as an escape from day to day life once we move to FL. BTW anyone recommend Matiland? Someone told me it's a great community near Orlando... Presently we are up in NJ

When we bought we didn’t plan to sell. We had an infant and we got in at a good price and where we wanted to stay. But 11 years later, our vacation interests changed. And frankly, so did Disney vacations. When we bought, it wasn’t hard at all to stay at other resorts at the 7 month mark. There were slower seasons. Now its so much harder and more crowded and while I enjoyed our home resort I don’t like vacations to start feeling like Groundhog Day. And they were very much starting to feel like Groundhog Day especially as Disney wasn’t adding many new attractions. We starting renting our points out and taking some Universal trips instead.

Then as the kids got older, we started traveling abroad and having some really amazing vacations. Camping and kayaking with whales on Vancouver Island, Rome, Copenhagen and now this year Paris and London. My daughter is trying to teach herself some French which is extremely cute. These are the sort of trips we are more interested in now. Disney doesn’t even appeal much anymore now that everything is all about Star Wars, which I don’t even like all that much. So we sold our contract and I’m glad we did before Disney can try to devalue resale even more.

We didn't have any plans to sell as our daughter (age 24) loves Disney and wants the points, but with all the latest changes that have been happening I am now keeping my options a little more open and might consider selling some/all of our points depending on how things play out with DVC.

I HOPE we will never sell. We own VGF and BLT and when we bought we said we have to ride space mountain one last time when we turn 80 and still are owners. After all of the recent changes and one big failed attempted change we may change our tune. For now, same old song for us. We are ready for another ride on Space Mountain.

We purchased our first contract in 2002. For many years we would have sworn we would never sell. In fact, we ended up with 19 contracts and 2000+ points.
We ended up selling all of it. Granted, a job loss played a large role, but we could have rented to recoup costs during that rough time.
Another large part of our decision was the declining quality in everything Disney.... starting with the closure of Pleasure Island and the Adventurers Club. It was downhill after that imo. Room cleanliness, park cutbacks, you name it. It was truly sad to see the decline.

That said, I now live near WDW and have an ‘Ohana reservation for tonight!!

Yes, always figured we would eventually sell. That there was a healthy resale market was a selling point for us and there's enough value that I felt it would not become something you couldn't unload. With good health etc. and dependent on decisions by DVC and Disney there may be a small number of points we'll keep to the end. I have a couple of family members that I feel may want a few points but the rest was always likely to be sold at some time. And I've been going to Disney since the late 60's so not exactly a fair weather fan. Granted, I was being taken there with little to no say in the 60's but if I hadn't liked it we probably wouldn't have been back! :rotfl:

You could always explain what the cost are and then she could decide to just rent the points out to cover the MF's until she can afford to go to Disney. Renting out the points would easily cover MF's and have a little extra income.
That is an option, certainly, and she might wish to do so. By the time we're ready to give them up, though, she might not want to. ;) For now, we've no plans to sell. However, like others have noted, there has been a declining quality to the overall experience in the parks. Whereas Disney used to set the standard, now they're content to point to "industry standard" as a goal all too often. We still do the parks, but much less than we did 10, even 5 years ago. We still enjoy hanging out at resorts and getting that "feel" of Disney; however, with their choice to become more homogenized and less thematic, even that source of enjoyment slowly is fading. As a poster above stated, SW is not terribly Disney to me, and I like SW just fine. The next most obvious foray for attractions is deeper into the MCU. Just like with SW, I like Marvel, but not to the exclusion of actual wonderment and imagination which is what used to set Disney apart. Imagination and whimsy vs role-playing is how I see it. Perhaps, Disney will get the same loyalty from that latter audience as they did with those of us original "Mouseketeers." I wouldn't count on it, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter