Do you ever hold off telling others about your love of Disney

BagOLaughs

Well I ain't evil, I'm just good looking
My disney obsession started about 5 years ago and if it came up in conversation I'd happily talk to others about why I love Disney parks and Disney in general. Some people didn't really get it but could appreciate my love for it anyway.

However some others not only didn't get it, but would actually try and make me feel bad about liking it. "But you don't have children", "It's for children, are you sure you wouldn't rather xyz". Or "what a waste of money ". It's normally friends of friends but even some family members.

Now I'm very selective what I discuss to whom. Does anyone else do this?

Yes, I am very selective about who I discuss it with. My DH and I have gotten the same reactions. If we have recently returned or are planning a trip I only discuss it with people who ask. I don't offer because we have gotten so many negatives reactions.

I think it all depends on the person, Ive had the odd negative reaction but its usually from people who who dont share the same kind of interests to me anyway (eg, not into Star Wars, Marvel, DC, films/series, anything fantasy, Harry Potter etc so I guess that makes sense) and people who are still into partying holidays (which for me is my idea of hell, whereas Disney is one of my mate's idea of hell lol) but having said that I find when I mention it to guys they think its cool and seem a lot more open minded and want to visit the place themselves! However I do now tend to say I go to Florida/Orlando, rather than just 'Disney' just to be on the safer side (which is better anyway as I also go to Universal etc) The annoying thing is that I'm pretty sure all the haters would love it just as much if they ever went! ;)

Yes, I am very selective about who I discuss it with. My DH and I have gotten the same reactions. If we have recently returned or are planning a trip I only discuss it with people who ask. I don't offer because we have gotten so many negatives reactions.

I wonder why that is? I'm always of the mind set that people like different things but as long as it makes them happy right?

The annoying thing is that I'm pretty sure all the haters would love it just as much if they ever went!

yes maybe!!! or they would go in with a bias mindset and still hate it... I get that a lot. Spoke to someone who came back recently and they were complaining oh the queues are so long and we hardly did any rides. I ask, did you use FP+? they reply, whats FP+? *sigh!*

Either way, I'm not really that bothered by it, but just wanted to discuss it with like minded people :)

Yes... I hold back until I know the person is a fellow Disney Nut. I get tired of the why do you go every year? Now that DD just turned 18, I will hear why are you still going when your kids are grow?

Oh no, that's horrible. :sad2:

I am really sorry to read about your experiences. I never hold back and I stand tall and proud of my Love of Everything Disney. :earsboy:

Even my dear BF had it served to him when he expressed some hesitation about going to WDW, with the (lame) argument that it's too childish and a waste of money to see some characters prancing around. And that was after we had agreed on committing for a visit in 2018! :headache:

I said: I am planning for a trip from now on (as we agreed), you know that I can't save up for two people to go, but since we literally shook hands on it I assume that you are still on board. If the day comes and you are not ready to book tickets, accommodations and flights - I will be going anyway, even without you and no I wouldn't even bat an eyelid (pity tripping do so not work on me)! I am not going to throw away two years of tough savings and planning if you decide to flake out. End of story! :mic:

When it comes to colleagues, friends and other random people who ask me about my vacation plans and interests. I just lay it out as it is: I am basically always in one form of stage of planning a Disney Vacation. My resources might be limited at times and therefore I might not join you on the upcoming shrimp cruise or split a mountain cottage get-away, because my goal is a few years away and when I walk down Main Street USA with my Mickey Ice Cream Bar on that first day when I arrive - All the struggles will be worth it for every minute that I spend in the parks! :love::smickey:

If they don't get it, they are the sorry ones. And I do not tolerate any funky business about it, as long as I am not begging on my knees for you to join me I won't blame you if you aren't as excited as I am. That's fine! :teeth:

:tinker:

I wonder why that is? I'm always of the mind set that people like different things but as long as it makes them happy right?

I feel the same way! Like whatever your into I'm willing to talk about it with you. And if I don't know much about it then I am willing to listen and more than likely ask questions. But, for some people when you mention Disney it is so polarizing. To be honest I think part of it is the whole it for kids thing, some people say it's too crowded or expensive. But, my thing is it's our money we can spend it however we like.

It really used to bother me because you know you get back and it was all awesome but, people immediately start with the we don't cares and just out right refusing to even listen to you. I don't treat people like that. I listen to stories about your beach, lake, or wherever trip. My brother just came back from a 3 week Europe trip I was completely prepared that the first time we saw each other I would be listening to stories about his trip. Actually I was excited as I have never been out the country.

But, anyway at this point I discuss Disney here and with some friends at work who are just as enthusiastic as I am. And that's enough for me.:)

I do kind of hold back now. I've been judged a few times especially in the work place and constantly feel like I'm having to justify the Disney love. I'm opening up more and embracing my nerdy/geekiness again. I've slowly built back up if you don't like it you don't have to but if you bash it or make fun of me you won't be in my life any more stance. I have a few very nice Disney Dooney's and for the longest I only used them on weekends or trips to Disney but recently I've been using them in my day to day. Also I now have a travel mug that is the DisPop logo that I love and use at work. Again trying to get back to the if you don't like it fine but don't make me feel bad for my love of almost all things Disney.

Yes, all the time. I'm bit of a private person about my interest/hobbies especially at work. The worse thing that continually happens to me when some fellow employee mentions anything about Disney and if my boss is around she will chime in and introduce me as a big Disney fan. I've told her numerous times to not to do it but she doesn't get it and continually does it.

she will chime in and introduce me as a big Disney fan. I've told her numerous times to not to do it but she doesn't get it and continually does it.

Oh my gosh! my boss does this too! I don't mind my colleges knowing that about me because they get who i am. But I do feel that some times a potential contractor, who doesn't know me, lets it impair their judgement of me, automatically labelling me as immature or not up for the job.

Last edited:
Oh no, that's horrible. :sad2:

I am really sorry to read about your experiences. I never hold back and I stand tall and proud of my Love of Everything Disney. :earsboy:

Even my dear BF had it served to him when he expressed some hesitation about going to WDW, with the (lame) argument that it's too childish and a waste of money to see some characters prancing around. And that was after we had agreed on committing for a visit in 2018! :headache:

I said: I am planning for a trip from now on (as we agreed), you know that I can't save up for two people to go, but since we literally shook hands on it I assume that you are still on board. If the day comes and you are not ready to book tickets, accommodations and flights - I will be going anyway, even without you and no I wouldn't even bat an eyelid (pity tripping do so not work on me)! I am not going to throw away two years of tough savings and planning if you decide to flake out. End of story! :mic:

When it comes to colleagues, friends and other random people who ask me about my vacation plans and interests. I just lay it out as it is: I am basically always in one form of stage of planning a Disney Vacation. My resources might be limited at times and therefore I might not join you on the upcoming shrimp cruise or split a mountain cottage get-away, because my goal is a few years away and when I walk down Main Street USA with my Mickey Ice Cream Bar on that first day when I arrive - All the struggles will be worth it for every minute that I spend in the parks! :love::smickey:

If they don't get it, they are the sorry ones. And I do not tolerate any funky business about it, as long as I am not begging on my knees for you to join me I won't blame you if you aren't as excited as I am. That's fine! :teeth:

:tinker:
Quoting myself here... :rotfl2:

But I came to think about something regarding this topic that I didn't bring up in my previous post.

But after coming out as gay, I ain't taking no fuss from no one! And "coming out" as a Disney Freak is not even close (to me) as it was stepping out of the closet. :eek::grouphug::banana:

So yeah, bring it on... I've been around the block a few laps already buddy! :cool2:

It's one of the great mysteries of life: "Why do you go to Disney?, Are you going there again?, Been there, done that, now go to other places".
I got so tired of hearing that from a "friend" that I just don't mention it any more. By the way, they go to Paris once a year, but That is OK, apparently?
It's just weird that people react the way they do when you mention going to WDW? My husband and I are in our 60's and we LOVe it! People don't understand why we go every year. We go with kids/grandkids, but we love to do Disney alone a lot more. We enjoy our time with the family, but being on our own to leisurely wander and do what we want to is priceless to us. It's safe at Disney. We can go anywhere at night and not be afraid.
I just forget all the downers, and share with some wonderful friends who love Disney as much as I do. The other's don't know what they are missing:)

@disneyseniors So use to that and I hate it. My family who always says "Disney again?" or "You are wasting your money there. Why not go somewhere else?" are the same people that spend the same week, at the same hotel, at the same beach destination every single year. They also take the same exact vacation for their anniversary every year as it is the same vacation they took for their honeymoon. There are other family members who say it too who spend thousands on football trips and then say our much less expensive trips to Disney are a waste. We spend several days for the same thing it might cost them for a weekend around Super Bowl time. We got to the point of just not telling them but somehow they do find out eventually since they are our close family and not just acquaintances or distant family and so we hear it every time. My fiance and I took a trip for his birthday and then my best friend invited us for a big trip for his 10th anniversary with his partner and our family continues to say why didn't you just cancel the birthday trip then? Blegh.

Quoting myself here... :rotfl2:

But I came to think about something regarding this topic that I didn't bring up in my previous post.

But after coming out as gay, I ain't taking no fuss from no one! And "coming out" as a Disney Freak is not even close (to me) as it was stepping out of the closet. :eek::grouphug::banana:

So yeah, bring it on... I've been around the block a few laps already buddy! :cool2:

Love the confidence! Good on ya!

Oh my gosh! my boss does this too! I don't mind my colleges knowing that about me barbecue they get who i am. But I do feel that some times a potential contractor, who doesn't know me, lets it impair their judgement of me, automatically labeling me as immature or not up for the job.

I had it come up once in a job interview, and I think it worked in my favor as building rapport. They offered me the job. (I ended up with two job offers and I took the other one, but still.)

Glad they also relate to your love of barbecues. ;)

I rarely say where I'm going unless someone asks. I got twice a year, at least one of those times is solo and the other is with my 35 year old son who has been going since before he was 3. Most people at work will assume if I'm going on vacation that I'm going to WDW, which is not always the case. The good thing about getting older is you learn to just not care what other people think or say. If asked why I go I'll explain it's an easy place for a woman to go solo to, it costs less than most of my go to places since I have an AP and can spread out the ticket cost. I also tend to go during F&G so it's easy to explain the pretty flowers and food booths and F&W and all I have to say is DUH Food and Wine who doesn't like food and wine? It also helps that I'm not known for not sharing my personal life and I'm a bit of a female dog when questioned about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter