Do you ever get obsessed with losing weight?

djkeenan

<font color=red>Long Time Lurker<br><font color=bl
Do you ever get obsessed with losing weight?

I’ve done really well at staying on my diet this time, no cheating in a month, but the weight came off very slowly in the beginning and now that it’s finally coming off, I’m afraid to eat for fear it will go back up.

And while I’m more committed than ever to lose 126 or more pounds, I’m afraid I’m becoming obsessed with losing. I think about it all day (probably because I’m hungry) and I’ve already sorted my closet into the clothes I have been wearing, those I should fit into soon and those that will fit in several months. I can’t wait to start throwing my “big” clothes away.

Is this good? Is this what it takes to make it through a strict diet that will last a year and then a lifetime to maintain? Do I need to keep myself this fired up or am I going off the deep end.

I’d appreciate your input, especially if you have been successful at losing a lot of weight.

Thanks,
David

426/408/300

What kind of diet are you on? As far as the being hungry all the time, I'm on Atkins and after a few couple of it, I got so sick of being hungry all the time, which DH said I shouldn't be, I went ahead and had 2 hamburgers instead of one, 3 eggs instead of two, and ate more veggies. Found it didn't affect my weight loss. But before you figure I'm trying to promote Atkins, I'm not. I'm constantly obsessing about fruit juice. It was never a big deal for me, but now all I can think of all the time is having a big glass of orange juice. And I never thought I'd do this, but I go in to the grocery store and practically drool at the oranges and peaches. For me, I've found that I'm planning on dieting for 6-8 weeks, then "idling" for a couple weeks, watching my weight to not regain, then 6-8 more weeks. Because I agree with you, and sympathize-it's so hard for a long period of time. I'd love to hear others' comments about my 2 months on-2 weeks off idea.

Yes. I have been trying to lose 30 pounds for the last year. Sometime around Halloween of'03, I became a bit nytsy about it. When I went through Haloween without touching a morsel fo candy, I figured I had it beat. I started going to the gym every day, sometimes twice. I strted to enjoy the feeling of hunger and my ability to resist it. Every aspect of my day became about loosing weight. And it was working. My family began to notice that I was "waisting away" and kept dropping sublte hints. Then I started getting dizzy, and my heart began acting up. I was often irriatble and just not myself. I even went through Tahnksgiving and nost of the Christmas Holiday without going off my "diet." I had to begin using ths same tools to stop losing so much so fast ans I did to lose. I had to strt counting calories again. I was actually consuming about 800/day, and working out 2 hrs/day. Quite a coloric defict! I began forcing myself to eat 12-1500/ day and cut my activity level back to 30 mins/ day. I was still losing, but only .5 lbs/week. I was feeling much better, and realize i was slipping off the deep end.

I am a woman on a mission now though. I did manage to gain back 3 pounds over the holiday, and still needed to loose 25 pounds, and I want to do it by March 30, '04. So I'm trying South Beach. I know how to maintain my weight and will take my quick 10 pound shed and run with it. Hopefully, I won't start heading for the abyss again. That is unlikely, as I intend to start having oat bran and wine again, as soon as I grab my 15 pound clippie!

I feel for you David. I think there is a very fine line between obsessing and staying motivated. In your case, it seems as though you are trying to achieve a long term lifestyle change. Before you can do that though, you have to unlearn some unhealthy habits. That is the hardest part. We all know what to do to be healthy, but it is all that unheathy stuff that keeps haunting us. Before you start thinking "Oh what do you know? You only need to lose 30 pounds.", my expertise comes from living for 23 years with my DH whom I've known since I was 14. He has always been heavy, but now he's pushing 350 or more. He has developed Type II Diabetes and is having a hard time with it. I have seen him struggle with a lifetime of health habits, that are not good. He knows it, and for a while, after the T-II diagnosis, was incredibly motivated and lost 60 pounds and had his sugar under control. About a year ago, he slipped back into his old habits, (we all did!) and has had a very difficlut time. I am very worried about him now and he just can't be approached about it. He is upset with me and thinks I am obsessing again about my weight, but really it is just him being upset with himself.

I wish I had the answer for you. I gess you should just keep close contact with your Dr. and bring up any questions you have about your rate of loss with him/her. Don't go off the deep end, but don't forget, you are worth some healthy changes. If the whole day revolves around you and your future health, well, I can think of worse ways to spend the day!

Keep the Faith!
Tracy

Hi David! Sweetie, I know EXACTLY how you feel. It took me @15 months to lose 110 pounds, and I went through more emotional ups and downs than I ever imagined. My current weight is 123-125lbs. and even though I realize that those numbers are GREAT (I'm 5'5"), many days I still think I'm overweight and unattractive. And obsess? Did I ever! At times I was consumed with my loss every single minute--it wasn't unusual to weigh myself 10 times a day. This was NOT healthy mentally or physically. I actually got down to 116lbs. because I was afraid to eat and gain even an ounce back. (A little personal history: I've yo-yoed 800lbs. up and down in the last 15 years, not including this weight loss). At 116, I looked skeletal and felt awful, but I was so scared to eat again. My Dr. (who monitored my loss) told me about his concerns, and we talked at length about being skinny vs. HEALTHY--he was a Godsend to me who helped enormously. He convinced me to gain, and I feel healthy and strong at this weight--but like I said, I still struggle with body image every day. I wish there were a magic formula to lose weight. It took constant motivation to continue on my program (eating highly nutritious food, portion control and exercise), and sometimes I had major setbacks--pigging out, eating lots of junk food, and wanting to just forget about ever being healthy. This is probably the most difficult thing I've ever done, and next to my marriage, the biggest committment I've ever made. It is one day at a time, David--at least that's what worked for me--and that's still how I feel now even though I'm at maintenance. Not getting permanently discouraged and beating myself up if I went off program was sooooo difficult, but it just had to be done if I was going to continue with my success. All the hard work was worth it, David. My cholesterol, triglycerides, BP are great--and coming from a family with a history of early heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and high BP, it was important for me to get those under control ASAP! Stop by WISH often if you need encouragement. These are a wonderful group of people who keep me motivated every day! And if you ever have health concerns, do speak to your doctor--mine continues to be an invaluable resource. Hugs to you, David--I understand where you are because I've been there. I wish you all the best during your journey. It is a difficult one, but well worth all the effort--I promise you that. Keep us posted...:hug: (Sorry so long...I could go on forever !)

I did almost a month on Atkins and didn't lose many pounds, probably because I ate too much meat, especially the fatty kinds like hot dogs and smoked sausages (so easy to prepare).

DW decided to join the effort but doesn't like Atkins so we switched to South Beach diet. As I see it we are swapping fats for more healthy veggies. We are really watching portion control and I admit I have been skipping some meals and all the suggested snacks in order to kick-start my weight loss.

I did go to see my Dr. yesterday, asking her to supervise my weight loss, help monitor blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. Blood work will be done in a few days.

Thanks Simba's Mom and Tracy for your posts. Tracy, as I read your first paragraph, I kept thnking: that's me. I have been so proud of myself for going to parties, etc. and not cheating.

Especially when you wrote "I started to enjoy the feeling of hunger and my ability to resist it. Every aspect of my day became about loosing weight. And it was working. "

I've got a long way to go b4 anyone even notices any weight loss, let alone "wasting away", but I know I need to find a healthy balance. But right now I feel like I'm doing penance for 30 years of overeating and the rewarding feeling is overpowering the hunger.

Hi David,

I'd like to chime in on this subject if I may. Speaking as someone who had a total of 137 pounds to lose and shedding 30 pounds in two months on the South Beach Diet, I can relate to what you are feeling. It is difficult to change life long old habits and it can be scary as changes start to happen quickly. It is also difficult when you have a long way to go to reach your goal. I still have 107 pounds to lose. I know that now that I am on a different phase of the South Beach Diet I can expect to lose 1-2 pounds per week and not the amazing amounts I lost the first month. I am fine with that. I am in this for the long haul.

At first I obsessed about it all the time. What I have done now is to set mini goals for myself and concentrate on those and not where I want to be "this time next year". My first goal was 10% of my body weight (28 pounds). I wanted to lose it by February 1 and then I kept wondering if I would be disappointed if it did not happen on that date. I am relieved that not only did I lose the 28 pounds by that date but I lost 2.5 pounds more! I am now working on my next 10% goal (25 pounds). This time I am not setting a time limit. It will happen when it happens. I can lose 25 pounds by focusing on my behavior one day at a time and making that particular day successful. Looking at this way is a lot easier for me to handle than to think I have 107 pounds left to lose.

You have been given some great advice by the posters before me including talking to your doctor about any concerns you may have and coming to this board to post for support. Losing this weight, especially with a lot of weight to lose, is not an easy job but it can be done and it is so nice to have the support of people on WISH as we take this journey. Take care!

Tracy - congratulations on your tremendous success! You must feel so good to be maintaining. I hope to be where you are one day!

Lisa, I think you meant to congratulate Kim. :teeth: Thanks for the ego boost though! :teeth: You are doing great, and you will be there too! Right Kim?

Keep the Faith, and :grouphug: for all!
Tracy

It is so easy to obsess, isn't it? I have been there (and continue to struggle). I even had a turn at being bulimic. Good times, not.

Here's a list of things that help me.
1. Throw the scale away. Weight doesn't give you the whole picture.
2. Don't assign foods values such as good or bad. If you have something you have labeled as bad you feel like you have done something wrong. If you are just treating yourself on a "cheat" day and do it in moderation, there is no reason to say it is bad. I look at it as there are better choices to eat most of the time, but a treat here and there, isn't a "bad" thing.
3. Love yourself where you are at. This one is difficult, but so very important.
4. The goal is to be healthy. If you are obsessing over weight, over-exercising and not eating properly, you are not being healthy.
5. This is a life change, not a diet. Like others have said you need to unlearn poor eating habits and develop better ones. This is something you want to work for you THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, not to just drop weight quickly.
6. Set small goals. If you look at the whole, big picture it may be overwhelming. Break it down into smaller goals and include items that are not just weight-loss related such as I will exercise three times a week for one hour.

Good luck. We are all here to help.
princess:

Originally posted by Miss Jasmine
It is so easy to obsess, isn't it? I have been there (and continue to struggle). I even had a turn at being bulimic. Good times, not.

Here's a list of things that help me.
1. Throw the scale away. Weight doesn't give you the whole picture.
2. Don't assign foods values such as good or bad. If you have something you have labeled as bad you feel like you have done something wrong. If you are just treating yourself on a "cheat" day and do it in moderation, there is no reason to say it is bad. I look at it as there are better choices to eat most of the time, but a treat here and there, isn't a "bad" thing.
3. Love yourself where you are at. This one is difficult, but so very important.
4. The goal is to be healthy. If you are obsessing over weight, over-exercising and not eating properly, you are not being healthy.
5. This is a life change, not a diet. Like others have said you need to unlearn poor eating habits and develop better ones. This is something you want to work for you THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, not to just drop weight quickly.
6. Set small goals. If you look at the whole, big picture it may be overwhelming. Break it down into smaller goals and include items that are not just weight-loss related such as I will exercise three times a week for one hour.

Good luck. We are all here to help.
princess:

Listen to her David! She is right on target, and was instrumental in my recovery from obsession! ::yes::
Did I ever say thank you Miss J? In case I didn't, THANK YOU!

Keep the Faith!
Tracy

Originally posted by Miss Jasmine

I agree with you 100%! The key for me is QUANTITY! If I want that glass of wine, I make it only one.....if I want that chocolate birthday cake, just a couple of bites. If I totally deny myself something I know I will eventually lose control and over indulge in the worst way!

now, I'm off for my chocolate fix.....Swiss Miss diet hot cocoa....20 calories, and calcium to boot! ;)

Originally posted by AKASnowWhite
...Swiss Miss diet hot cocoa....20 calories, and calcium to boot! ;)

Really? Thanks! :love2: You just made my day!

"Honey, I'm going to the store."

I think I would qualify for obsessed sometimes but not in a bad way I think. My obsession comes more from the fact that this new way of life is always in the forefront of my mind. I'm always weighing the consequenses of my decisions. If I eat that candy out of the dish - that means less food later, is it worth it? I can honestly say that I have a FULL candy dish on my desk everyday and have not had ONE piece out of it since August. My willpower is best at work so I have to take advantage of that so when I get home and want a treat I can fit it in. I think there is a big difference in obsessed and focused. I think to lose a lot of weight you have to be focused and committed and that means thinking about the changes you are making. I know that I was ALWAYS thinking about food before so it hasnt' changed much for me. Before I was thinking about lunch before I even ate breakfast, snacking on candy as soon as I walked in the door at work, etc. This for me is no different it's just the reverse... I'm just thinking about the GOOD choices that I'm making and feeling good about that instead of a cheeseburger. I also have the clothes seperated and donate clothes every chance I get. If it's too big it's out of here!! I think having "skinny" clothes waiting for you helps to keep you motivated and it's a great measure of your progress as you see those clothes get closer and closer to fitting. ::yes:: Best of luck David - you've come to the right place for lots of support! :)

Originally posted by tlgoblue
Listen to her David! She is right on target, and was instrumental in my recovery from obsession! ::yes::
Did I ever say thank you Miss J? In case I didn't, THANK YOU!

Keep the Faith!
Tracy

Awhhh Tracy. You are most welcome and Thank You! You don't know how much that means to me. :hug:

You've gotten some terrific advice here David and I don't have very much else to offer. Just wanted to say 'Hello Buddy' -- and you know that I am in your corner!!!

You've done great so far. Your commitment is so inspiring to ME and your support to others is what makes you such an amazing man! I'm glad we are getting to know each other better!

Keep on Keeping on David -- YOU can do it!
:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter