Do you ever get lost when driving at WDW?

As a PP poster said, the key to navigating is to know which resorts correspond with which parks. I didn't realize that the first time and got hopelessly lost. On our most visit, though, I did more research and we did a lot better!!

Oh my, talk about LOL...this is us...I have a good sense of direction usually! Our family says" you have been how many times..how can u get lost?" My husband gets lost pulling out of the parking lot to drive home a mile...I am determined to do better....Next time we are taking the GPS!! We usually just take the bus...

We get lost all the time because of our GPS. It likes to tell us to turn immediately after the turn. Drives me crazy.

Can't say that we do. I print maps from Google or Mapquest prior to leaving if we need to go to Wal-Mart or something like that. As for getting around on property, the signs are great and helpful.

Have a great trip!

We seem to get lost every time we are leaving to drive home. I guess the car can sense we don't actually want to leave! But actually, the signs to exit aren't nearly as well-marked as the ones directing you in towards the resort areas.

Before I had my GPS, I might have taken the "scenic trip" once in a while. For example, anyone who has ever stayed at Old Key West will have heard the following at least once:

"&^%*! That's Overpass Road, over there!"

Even with the infrequent wrong turn, it's not too hard to get where you are going.

have read on here that it is easy to get lost when driving at WDW.
I guess it might be hard for some, but I've never found it to be so.

But actually, the signs to exit aren't nearly as well-marked
Getting to the parks is the easiest. As long as you know which exit you need (192 East/West, I-4 North/south, etc.), that's always seemed pretty easy to me. It can sometimes be tricky to get to a specific resort, unless you know its general area.

It's like anywhere when you FIRST drive--if you rely on the signs (which I think are good) you'll go a bit slower but I doubt you can get "lost". Miss a turn at first--maybe. But no big deal.
We've driven our car at WDW since the late 1970's and never gotten lost.

Absolutely. We were the masters of the U turn. We took off down I-4 towards Tampa one time, ended up at Pop Century when we were staying at Caribbean, and numerous other lost trips. After 25 trips, we can now easily make our way to most locations.

All the time.

I've been able to get back on track when I ignore the GPS and just follow the signs though.

That's one of the reasons why I'm a fan of using WDW transportation. I don't have to worry about it then. :rotfl:

Thanks for all the insight guys! I found a really good WDW road map online, so hopefully that will help and it sounds like the signs will help a lot too, so maybe this won't go too badly afterall. I would take the buses, but I find taking the bus usually takes a LONG time, so I figured driving would be the better option here. :goodvibes One more question though, are there any gas stations on property?

Thanks for all the insight guys! I found a really good WDW road map online,

Would you mind sharing the link to the maps. We are driving for the first time and I am super worried about getting lost, DH kind of freaks out. :goodvibes:
We are staying at ASMO so I will take the AK exit, right?:confused3

yes, been lost at the World. That's just one of many reasons I prefer using the bus system. The main reason though, is that we have so much fun on the bus. Weird, ain't we.

I'm just as weird as you are. When we arrive at POFQ, we plan on parking the car and using Disney transportation. I figure that's part of the magic!

It's really not that hard. You just have to follow the signs.

If you're going to a hotel near Epcot, follow the signs for Epcot Resorts. Going to AKL, follow the signs to AK.

If you miss a turn, there is a way to turn around and start over. Before exiting the Disney property there is always an "All Guest Areas" sign so that you can go back and start over.

Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy. I learned to navigate Disney when only the military had GPS and lived to tell the tale. :)

My DS has a GPS in his car, and can finally get me to Disney Property from the Airport after 2 years...he lives 15 min from Disney and STILL gets Lost either going to ESPN SPORTS instead if ALL Star Sports, and forgetting there are 2 other ALL STAR resorts and weird strange things like that!:lmao::confused3

Thanks for all the insight guys! I found a really good WDW road map online, so hopefully that will help and it sounds like the signs will help a lot too, so maybe this won't go too badly afterall. I would take the buses, but I find taking the bus usually takes a LONG time, so I figured driving would be the better option here. :goodvibes One more question though, are there any gas stations on property?
I know of three, all Hess stations. You find one as you exit the Magic Kingdom. The second is over near the Boardwalk/Beach Club, but on Buena Vista Drive. The last one is on Buena Vista, too, but down by DTD (on the opposite side of the street.)

Like the rest of the place, they sell only Coke products. If you want a Diet Pepsi, head out of Disney.

I drove last year and i didnt really have any problems. Except i got the address for MK somewhere online and i must have gotten the one for some corperate office because i ended up in downtown Orlando. Luckly i left super early and had gone to DTD the day before with no problem so i just plugged that address in. When i got to MK the monorail wasnt working and that made me more nervous that I'd miss the tour i booked but i made it in plenty of time

We have been to WDW 5 times in the past 18 months, over 30 days total, with our own car each time and AGAIN this last time we got lost. Everyone says the signage is easy but they seem pretty stingy on it if you ask us. They'll mention an area on one sign and the the next no mention at all and then you've missed the exit! And the exits seem to appear VERY quickly after the sign. Thank goodness for Google Maps on the iPhone!

Totally agree. We get lost everytime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter