Do you ever eat a food again after getting sick off of it?

My 'food I'll never eat again, EVER' is Funny Bones. It was 50 years ago (when I was 5)when it was the last thing I ate before getting a vicious stomach bug. I'm sure it wasn't from the Funny Bones as my twin DSis was also sick at the same time, but to this day, neither of us can even say the words 'Funny Bones'. My stomach still heaves even thinking about this!

:rotfl2: I can soooo relate. The night before my sister turned 8 we had a pickle eating contest. I loved those great big dill pickles that are about 5-6" long and I had no trouble downing 9 of them (!) I felt fine, until time for her birthday party. One bite of ice cream and it was OVER! Of course, it wasn't the ice cream OR the pickles, but I had picked up a stomach bug. Still, it was years and years before I could eat pickles and even now, 50 years later, pickles are not something I will seek out.

When I was pregnant with DS (who will be 22 in April) the smell of chicken wings made me nauseous.
I never got sick from them, just the smell turned me off.
I only just started eating them again this year. :rotfl2:

It's happened to me with a few things. It's never been that the food itself actually made me sick, more like the last thing thing I ate before a dreaded stomach bug hit. Eventually I can go back to eating that food again.

Yes. I don't think I've ever eaten anything that made me sick, I think I just was coming down with something and didn't know it yet. The big one that comes to mind was linguini with clam sauce. I think I was about 12 at the time and it was a meal I loved. It was probably 10 years before I could eat it again. More recently was a panini sandwich from Panera. That was 2-3 years ago and I can't eat that same kind of panini but am okay with others.

Not a chance! The memory is burned in my brain and creates nausea to even think about it. Even while I can rationalize that most times it was just a stomach virus - just doesn't matter.

My 'food I'll never eat again, EVER' is Funny Bones. It was 50 years ago (when I was 5)when it was the last thing I ate before getting a vicious stomach bug. I'm sure it wasn't from the Funny Bones as my twin DSis was also sick at the same time, but to this day, neither of us can even say the words 'Funny Bones'. My stomach still heaves even thinking about this!

What are Funny Bones?

One time many years ago I got this terrible cramp in my left side after eating a Marie Callendar's herb roasted chicken frozen dinner (yeah, I ate a lot of frozen dinners in my youth). At the time I thought it was the chicken, but several years later experience has taught me that it was more than likely a kidney stone. But to this day I still won't even consider eating a Marie Callendar's herb roasted chicken dinner.

I had too much fudge when I was newly pregnant the first time. I haven't enjoyed it since. Now only if I could get sick of chocolate I would be set.

When I was 12 or so I once had root beer everyday for about a week. I don't even like root beer floats and I rather drink nothing than drink root beer.

Ana

I thought of another one. When I was a kid I went to Texas with my parents to visit Dad's family, and we went to a national park (can't remember the name of it) and stayed one night in a lodge. I had eaten a tuna sandwich...from a rest stop vending maching that afternoon. I was sick all night from that...and we had no bathroom. :( It was a communal bathroom for the whole lodge, and not close enough for me to "make it" when I got sick so I had to use the waste basket. I got sick several times during the night and my poor parents took turns dealing with the wastebasket. :( After that I would never, ever to this day eat a sandwich out of a vending machine. :crazy2:

Two separate incidents for me --

1. Salt Water Taffy - I remember being 8 or 9 years old and riding home with my family from Estes Park Colorado. Mom would always pick us up a generous amount for the long ride home. Well, I decided to be sneaky and eat almost the whole bag! I ended feeling very nauseated and to this day I haven't eaten a single piece of it. It always turns me off!

2. Caesar Salad - my first 4-5 months of pregnancy with DD I had an enormous craving for caesar salad. I would eat it 3-4 times a day with lots of Parmesan cheese and croutons. It always hit the spot! Well, not too long ago, DH and I went out with another couple and we chose a nice Italian restaurant. They served Caesar salad. I couldn't touch it. The idea was repulsive. I don't know if I will ever be able to eat it again! Needless to say I ate the house salad. ;)

I had the worst case of food poisoning after eating fajitas. I spent three days in the commode, one week in bed, and three months recuperating.... lost about 20 lbs.

10 years later, I have requested fajitas as one of our meals for my dad to grill while visiting him next month! He's the grill master and makes a mean fajita!:worship:

So glad I don't have that aversion anymore!

I couldn't drink Tequila for about 20 years.
I finally tried some good stuff a couple years ago and actually liked it. Although I still have a strong aversion to crappy Tequila like Cuervo.

I got really sick after eating Pulled Pork and Smoked Meats. I don't know which one it was so I don't eat either of them.

I work in a school café and they served glutton free chicken tenders one day and I tried one..I cant even eat any chicken nugget or tender again.

OP, its funny you mention Dinty Moore Beef Stew, as that is one of the foods I don't eat. :rotfl: It was around 1982 and my mom had to work so I made this for my sisters and brothers for dinner. I was really really sick later. I forgot to mention it was Christmas Eve. I firmly believed it was that stuff, regardless of the fact I got sick every Christmas Eve because I just get too excited and have a nervous stomach to begin with! But, I can't even look at that stuff. My children have no idea what it is because I never ever could buy it without feeling sick.

I have to admit, I am very much a person who regardless of how I got sick associate it with the foods I eat. I haven't eaten at Wendy's in years. I got a chicken sandwich once that I bit into and the inside was RAW:sick: I haven't eaten a chicken sandwich at a fast food place since then.

I somehow managed though to believe Jack Daniels never has made sick...:lmao:

Kelly

When I was little I got sick after eating my mom's homemade baked mac and cheese. To this day I don't like it. I always choked a little down to make her happy (you have to know my mom to appreciate this). But I really, really dislike it. It's gross the way she makes it though. She just dumps all the crap in a dish and bakes it and it ends up with white globs of who-knows-what that reminds me of vomit. Everybody raves about it - so I'm pretty sure it's just me.

I said something once about making homemade mac and cheese. She told me that I didn't like homemade mac and cheese. I replied that I don't like her mac and cheese. I start mine with a roux and melt it together so that it's creamy and no evil globs. It's a little more work but I don't associate it with being on my knees in front of the john all night.

For me, the only food aversion I have ever had like that was after getting food poisoning from a half BBQ chicken at a local restaurant. And yes, it was food poisoning and properly diagnosed at the ER where I ended up because of dehydration. And yes, after an investigation by those involved, it was linked back to the chicken. I refused to eat at that restaurant at all for more then 5 years AND couldn't eat BBQ chicken for about a year. Luckily, I can now eat that the restaurant again (though never the chicken) and I can eat BBQ chicken again (but never at that restaurant).

My cousin refuses to ever, EVER have a turkey hot dog again after visiting family and the only thing she could eat was the turkey dogs (long story). So she had them breakfast, lunch, and dinner for something like 5 days.

I remember going out to a restaurant with a friend a couple years ago and when she couldn't decide what to get I suggested the scallop dish that was on special. She turned to me with this face :crazy2: and said that when she was pregnant with one of her kids, she got completely sick off of a scallop dish and vowed never to eat it again. Till this day, she has never eaten another scallop.

I can thankfully say that I have RARELY gotten sick. I remember once when I was pregnant but it wasn't from eating something. I opened a can of Dinty Moore Stew for my son and within seconds I was running to the bathroom.

Fast forward to this past August. My husband and I went on a cruise. We went to breakfast and I got one of my faves, eggs benedict. I felt fine. The seas were quite rocky that morning but I took my sea sickness meds and was fine. Right after breakfast, we went and got changed to head to the hot tub since they were basically empty. WELL...between being in the hot water, having the ship bouncing up & down, I started to feel a bit :crazy2:. I will spare you the rest of my morning.

Well, we're heading out on another cruise this coming August and I really want to have eggs benedict again, but I'm afraid that just looking at them will bring back not so good memories. LOL

Have you ever enjoyed a food again after getting sick from it?

When I was pregnant, I got sick while eating scallops.
I don't think it was the scallops. But it is such as distinct smell and feeling - ugh, never again.

I haven't ever vommed from food (knock on wood), so nothing really scares me in that aspect. My mom landed herself in the hospital after eating at an Outback Steakhouse many years ago and has banned the family from ever stepping foot in that restaurant.

Btw, this thread is making me crave scallops. Is that weird?

I got food poisoning from a local Southwestern Mexican restaurant a few years ago. I haven't been back since. DH loves the place but understands why I have no interest in eating there again. I was sick for a week. Total gastro symptoms plus a fever for a couple of days. I also slept a lot. It was 8 days before I felt myself again. I lost 7 lbs. I'm pretty sure I had salmonella and prob should have gone to the ER for fluids, but I survived.

This reminds me of a local legend. There was a large popular restaurant with banquet facilities. They served bad shrimp at a Christmas party. For a law firm.

The new restaurant that took over is good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter