Do you count an infant as a guest on ADR?

thf913

Mouseketeer
We are a family of five--DH, myself, DS (6), DS (3), and DS who will be 10 months at time of travel in December. Am I supposed to count the infant in my number of guests for ADRs? He will be in a high chair and most likely won't even be eating table food by then. I am having trouble finding ADRs for 5 guests but no trouble at all for 4 guests. Thanks.

Yes. Everyone counts, regardless of age. Space at the table for the high chair will be required, whether the child eats or not. Even if the child was to be held in a lap, everyone still counts toward restaurant occupancy for fire codes. If you booked for four, when you showed up with four and a baby you would be switched to a party of five.

Yes. Everyone counts, regardless of age. Space at the table for the high chair will be required, whether the child eats or not. Even if the child was to be held in a lap, everyone still counts toward restaurant occupancy for fire codes. If you booked for four, when you showed up with four and a baby you would be switched to a party of five.

And if there are no tables available for 5 people you will be turned away.

Try looking for 6 at those as well. Sometimes the system has trouble with odd numbers. When you show up and they say "Party of 6?" just say "It's going to be 5 today". They won't have an issue (many of them know about the odd-number bug). Of course, for prepaid reservations and those with CC holds, this won't work, but for the other 90% of the reservations, it might.

(And no, you won't be auto-charged that "other" fee. That only applies to 6+ at dining).

Yes...I had this issue!! I booked my DH and I thinking the same thing as you. My baby won't be eating anything there so why would we count him? But alas...I find myself ADRless and searching for table ressies 1.5 months out...oh the horror!!! :scared1:

You def want to included the little one!!

Yes, I wish I had asked that before making my reservations. I just came home from my daughter's school orientation (was waiting on the school calendar to determine dates from our trip) got straight on the reservations site and went for it.

Thinking the same as you…he won't be eating any food (he'll also be 10 months) I didn't count him, except when I tried to get CRT.

I am going Thanksgiving week and have some very coveted restaurants planned. Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's, and Akershus being the most popular ones it seems. I also have 1900 Park Fare, Tusker House and Hollywood and Vine).

So far I have been able to get 3 of our 6 ADRs changed to include my son. I got Chef Mickey's changed which the CM said was a big accomplishment. I also got 1900 Park Fare changed which was a big relief because this is our Thanksgiving Day meal. Hollywood and Vine seems to be easy to get. Couldn't get the others done though.

Every time I call they say the same thing.

"If space is available we'll accommodate you no problem and give you a high chair if they aren't all taken. The only way we will turn you away is if it would be a fire code violation for you to come in, but more than likely it will just translate into a longer wait."

I'm most concerned about the Akershus one as I had the CM check the entire week telling her it didn't matter what meal as long as it was before 8pm and still nothing. I was planning on dressing my dd for this one, but I think before I change her clothes or even tell her about the meal, I'll go to the restaurant and ask.

Good for you for asking first. I read on these boards for 3 months before booking and never thought about that.

I was told once (while booking a big party that included two 2-year-olds), "anyone with a heartbeat.":rolleyes: Obviously they only have so many high chairs and the floor space to put them in, so counting the wee ones is probably as important or more so than others!

PHXscuba

I think Disney ought to be clearer about this. Because children under 3 aren't counted on the dining plan, for park tickets or on room reservations, a lot of guests believe they don't count for restaurant reservations either.

Restaurants are different. It's not how many people are actually eating anything, it's how many are physically present. They need an exact count for capacity for fire codes, as well as space for high chairs. This is why when you show up with an extra person, no matter how old they are, and the restaurant is already at capacity, you won't be allowed in with the extra person. By law, they can't exceed fire codes by letting in one more person.

I don't think they get full to capacity all that often, and usually they'll work with you to get a bigger table if they're not - but you may end up waiting longer than you anticipated when you made the ADR, because you are a different party size now.

There is a way around anything. Just show up with 1 less person in the party a few minutes after seating have the other person show up and I am sure they will be sat together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter