• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you consider this weekend to be a "holiday" weekend?

Do you consider this upcoming weekend to be a holiday weekend?

• Total voters
My husband’s employer is closed this Friday through the 4th of July. They are supposed to have every Friday off (they work four 10 hour days), but often work OT that day depending on production needs. This week, he’ll have that off plus the 3rd and 4th.

Unfortunately, I am only off the 4th 😞 due to work demands.

DH and I are both federal workers, so we'll have the 4th off, but neither of us put in for leave on the 3rd. But I do kinda think of this as a holiday weekend. I think a lot of folks will have it all off, and it'll feel like that. Have warned my DD who started her first job at the mall, that it'll be busy.

I voted yes. I will work on Monday and probably a part of Tuesday but the Fourth is a big holiday for my family so the weekend will be a big deal for us as usual.

I never really considered that a holiday weekend had to be a 3 or more day event.

Before I retired I LOVED working in such situations as this upcoming Monday July 3. Many people took it off as part of PTO so there were many fewer around to irritate me.

I almost always worked Black Friday and Christmas Eve for the same reason.

And this year by former company added Juneteenth to its paid holiday list so I missed out.

I'm a SAHM so obviously off, but DH will work Monday since it's his normal shift day. He's off the rest of the week as normal.

It won't feel like a holiday weekend. We used to always go to Pawleys Island, but decided not to this year.

Our office is closed July 3, 4, and 5 so yes I consider this a holiday weekend. DBF, however only gets off the 4th so probably not a holiday weekend for him. But he will be working from the lake house, so maybe a holiday weekend for him?

Before I retired I LOVED working in such situations as this upcoming Monday July 3. Many people took it off as part of PTO so there were many fewer around to irritate me.

I almost always worked Black Friday and Christmas Eve for the same reason.

And this year by former company added Juneteenth to its paid holiday list so I missed out.
Me, too! Back in the day when I was gainfully employed, I loved working the week of Christmas. I got more done that week than the whole rest of the year, I swear--no phone calls, no meetings, no interruptions!

Government lawyer here. Most of my working group is off, but I will be here with a few others. I'm sure most will leave once cases are assigned and, as the one in charge that day, I'm bringing in brunch for those who are working.

. No, that is not a recognized holiday but neither is President's Day, neither is MLK Jr Day.
I'm guessing they don't recognize all Federal Holidays. It's always curious how some pick and choose. It Seems to not much rhyme nor reason.

Yes we have a long weekend.over the 4th.

USA Federal Holidays for Year 2023​

DateDay of WeekHoliday Name
January 2 [1]MondayNew Year’s Day
January 16MondayBirthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
February 20MondayWashington’s Birthday (aka Presidents Day)
May 29MondayMemorial Day
June 19MondayJuneteenth National Independence Day
July 4TuesdayIndependence Day
September 4MondayLabor Day
October 9MondayColumbus Day
November 10 [2]FridayVeterans Day
November 23ThursdayThanksgiving Day
December 25MondayChristmas Day

I'm guessing they don't recognize all Federal Holidays. It's always curious how some pick and choose. It Seems to not much rhyme nor reason.

May 29MondayMemorial Day
And states have their own holidays too. California does not observe Juneteenth or Columbus Day, but they do observe Cesar Chavez Day and the Day after Thanksgiving.

2023 Holiday Dates​

• Monday, January 2 New Year’s Day (Observed)**
  • Monday, January 16 Martin Luther King Jr. Day
  • Monday, February 20 Presidents’ Day
  • Friday, March 31 Cesar Chavez Day
  • Monday, May 29 Memorial Day
  • Tuesday, July 4 Independence Day
  • Monday, September 4 Labor Day
  • Friday, November 10 Veterans Day (Observed)**
  • Thursday, November 23 Thanksgiving Day
  • Friday, November 24 Day after Thanksgiving
  • Monday, December 25 Christmas Day

And states have their own holidays too. California does not observe Juneteenth or Columbus Day, but they do observe Cesar Chavez Day and the Day after Thanksgiving.

2023 Holiday Dates​

• Monday, January 2 New Year’s Day (Observed)**
  • Monday, January 16 Martin Luther King Jr. Day
  • Monday, February 20 Presidents’ Day
  • Friday, March 31 Cesar Chavez Day
  • Monday, May 29 Memorial Day
  • Tuesday, July 4 Independence Day
  • Monday, September 4 Labor Day
  • Friday, November 10 Veterans Day (Observed)**
  • Thursday, November 23 Thanksgiving Day
  • Friday, November 24 Day after Thanksgiving
  • Monday, December 25 Christmas Day
And if you are a California Court employee you also get Lincolns Birthday, Juneteenth and Native American Day.

1688003604345.png

May 29MondayMemorial Day
Traditionally from that above list from my husband's corporate world and my corporate world experience it's only ever been New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I remember one year when I was at the insurance company I went from New Year's Day to Memorial Day without taking any vacation time.

so, i posted previously that i was going to do my shopping today b/c i anticipated holiday travel impacting our area by as early as thursday.........WRONG! we were on the main highway that people travel to the touristy/lake/camping areas by 11 this morning and they were already loaded with rvs, travel trailers, boats, cars loaded with mountain bikes.....the loooooooooooong weekend has begun :faint:

Seems that everyone is talking about the upcoming holiday weekend, implying that people have four consecutive days off for Independence Day. But it seems it will be a regular weekend with Monday a normal work day, and Tuesday a Federal Holiday.
So, do you consider the upcoming weekend a holiday weekend?

Locally, the issue has been complicated by the fact that some communities have moved their community fireworks shows to Saturday, July 1. I feel sorry for pet owners near those displays because their animals will have to deal with the loud noises on both July 1, and July 4.
yep I know technically its not a Holiday weekend but our office is closed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. :cool1:

My firm is closed Monday and Tuesday, so it's a holiday weekend for me. Even more so because tomorrow morning at 8:00 am I'll be on plane down to Virginia to spend Independence Day in Colonial Williamsburg.

Obviously, the date July 4 moves around with the calendar each year. I would prefer if it was a fixed date (like Thanksgiving) regardless of the actual number on the calendar. Would make scheduling of time off for a holiday much easier at work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter