Do you bring your own bedding?

No - you don't want to get into a PM conversation with bavaria. It'll never end! :umbrella:

Too late - lengthy PMs received and sent (and discussion enjoyed)! :snooty:

Besides, I have done my duty educating people for the day as hundreds of readers are googling 'squat toilet' at the moment and learning a little bit more about the world. On a side note, disregard some of what you read - it is perfectly acceptable to bring your own tissues along you know.

I don't know how it is in your area but around here the general person does not flush the toliet with their hands. You can tell when someone uses their foot to flush the toliet. I'm observant to what goes on around me, and I see it all the time in various places. Not to mention that I work in an office with hundreds of employees and see it day in and day out.

I don't know how it is in your area, but around here, the general person isn't really aware of what others are doing in the toilet. I'm very observant of what's going on around me as well, but I've never studied people's toilet habits on vacation or at work. I would think doing so would result in some very suspicious looks!:scared1:

I can't speak for "around here" (although I did just VERY recently discover we have foot-flushers at work), but - I can't. Foot-flush, I mean. I have no sense of balance, my bad leg doesn't go that high, and my good leg - well, I can't stand on my bad leg.

So my choices are don't flush (ick!), or, well, the same person who told me about the foot-flushers told me her trick, which I can do - but FOOTFLUSHING? Yuck! That is just SO inconsiderate!

I don't know how it is in your area, but around here, the general person isn't really aware of what others are doing in the toilet. I'm very observant of what's going on around me as well, but I've never studied people's toilet habits on vacation or at work. I would think doing so would result in some very suspicious looks!:scared1:

First of all, maybe you aren't as observant as you think you are or maybe you're just a little slow. You don't have to be staring at, spying on, or stalking someone to 1. Notice one foot off the floor when the toliet flushes especially when you are waiting to use the toliet next. 2. Hear the foot hit the floor after the toliet is flushed.

I got caught up in this because it really irks me how some people try to scold, judge, or change the behaviors or mentality of others. People are going to do what they want no matter what anyone else says. I could give a rat's @#% what anyone does in the bathroom or anywhere else for that matter. They could clean the toliet with ammonia, flush it with their nose, or lick the bowl for all I care---whatever, it's their business.

I have a real quick temper but I feel silly for getting incited over comments made by people that I guarantee would never have the nerve to be as opinionated or bold in my face. I think that CookingMama has abandoned this thread and maybe it's time I did the same because I am the type to make a special trip to Disney and give that individual the opportunity to do just that. I enjoy this board. I think that it is very useful and informative; and I don't want to disrespect it. So I'm just gonna bow out of this because it just really .....ain't that serious. (And yes, the ain't was intentional)

But this I do not understand. Why can people not engage in reasonable discussion without people getting defensive and emotional? MidgeHadley and I don't agree on everything on this thread yet we had a perfectly respectable discussion here and via PM. Maxiesmom and I don't agree on certain topics, but I usually enjoy reading her opinion on things.

Getting emotional and calling names as some of you have done here on this thread (or on other threads talking about this thread) just weakens your argument. Present it in a logical, reasoned fashion and you may actually change some opinions. Become defensive and argumentative and it doesn't do much to persuade others.

I don't want everyone to agree on everything - it would frankly make the world boring, and this website boring if everyone agreed. But I do not see why there cannot be reasoned discussion without some people getting upset and taking their toys and leaving.

I too wondered how one could 'notice' others foot flushing. People are asking questions because they want to understand. Not everything is a criticism and not everything needs to be taken personally.

Frankly, I say thank you to MidgeHadley for engaging in a conversation even when we don't happen to agree. We both learned something, and I enjoyed the interaction.

People are going to do what they want no matter what anyone else says.
And this I do dispute. I have sometimes changed my behaviour in past when some explained why it was not productive, or anti-social. We can all learn from others.

But this I do not understand. Why can people not engage in reasonable discussion without people getting defensive and emotional? MidgeHadley and I don't agree on everything on this thread yet we had a perfectly respectable discussion here and via PM. Maxiesmom and I don't agree on certain topics, but I usually enjoy reading her opinion on things.

Getting emotional and calling names as some of you have done here on this thread (or on other threads talking about this thread) just weakens your argument. Present it in a logical, reasoned fashion and you may actually change some opinions. Become defensive and argumentative and it doesn't do much to persuade others.

I don't want everyone to agree on everything - it would frankly make the world boring, and this website boring if everyone agreed. But I do not see why there cannot be reasoned discussion without some people getting upset and taking their toys and leaving.

I too wondered how one could 'notice' others foot flushing. People are asking questions because they want to understand. Not everything is a criticism and not everything needs to be taken personally.

Frankly, I say thank you to MidgeHadley for engaging in a conversation even when we don't happen to agree. We both learned something, and I enjoyed the interaction.

And this I do dispute. I have sometimes changed my behaviour in past when some explained why it was not productive, or anti-social. We can all learn from others.

Thank you as well.

I definitely didn't agree with everything I've read in this thread. And I still think that some things people mentioned doing to disinfect their rooms is going a bit overboard. But I don't care if they choose to do those things. It doesn't affect me. It's just not practices I would engage in. Just like I do things that are frowned upon by people here (I'm am an "inconsiderate" foot-flusher afterall :thumbsup2 )

If people just step back and really think about the things we're discussing, they'll see how ridiculous and entertaining the whole thing is.

First of all, maybe you aren't as observant as you think you are or maybe you're just a little slow. You don't have to be staring at, spying on, or stalking someone to 1. Notice one foot off the floor when the toliet flushes especially when you are waiting to use the toliet next. 2. Hear the foot hit the floor after the toliet is flushed.

I got caught up in this because it really irks me how some people try to scold, judge, or change the behaviors or mentality of others. People are going to do what they want no matter what anyone else says. I could give a rat's @#% what anyone does in the bathroom or anywhere else for that matter. They could clean the toliet with ammonia, flush it with their nose, or lick the bowl for all I care---whatever, it's their business.

I have a real quick temper but I feel silly for getting incited over comments made by people that I guarantee would never have the nerve to be as opinionated or bold in my face. I think that CookingMama has abandoned this thread and maybe it's time I did the same because I am the type to make a special trip to Disney and give that individual the opportunity to do just that. I enjoy this board. I think that it is very useful and informative; and I don't want to disrespect it. So I'm just gonna bow out of this because it just really .....ain't that serious. (And yes, the ain't was intentional)
I find it fascinating that in your first post you were so concerned about people implying that someone is "dumb" for super-sanitizing their rooms, but you are quick to not just imply but come right out and call me slow. You came on this thread to be the white knight for CookingMama's unreasonable phobias because you clearly share many of the same issues. Of course, you seem to have anger management issues with anyone who disagrees with you in addition to those phobias. Good luck with that...and have fun keeping track of people's bathroom habits.

I find it fascinating that in your first post you were so concerned about people implying that someone is "dumb" for super-sanitizing their rooms, but you are quick to not just imply but come right out and call me slow. You came on this thread to be the white knight for CookingMama's unreasonable phobias because you clearly share many of the same issues. Of course, you seem to have anger management issues with anyone who disagrees with you in addition to those phobias. Good luck with that...and have fun keeping track of people's bathroom habits.

First of all, yes I called you slow after you insinuated that I was a peeping tom. Second of all, I have not called out anyone on this site and would never have addressed anyone specifically had they not addressed me. Furthermore, being that I am very self-centered I was not trying to be anyone's "white knight" and I think I pointed that out. Third of all, I don't have a problem with anyone disagreeing with me. As a matter of fact, I enjoy a good debate but I do have a problem with anyone(especially people that don't know me)thinking they can talk to me any kind of way--- Like your little parting comment. And no, I don't have anger issues. However, I'm not one to mince words. I don't see the point in arguing with anyone and I'll usually just walk away but some people just won't let you and you have to make them wish they had.

Whoa, people, let's have a bit of kindness here.

Phobias hurt. Anxiety hurts. Being called names because of these can hurt even more.

It's funny that you posted this because as I was working out I was thinking that maybe somethings where taken out of context and wanted to come post something.

You're right information and explanations can evoke change in some people. And there is nothing wrong with posting opinions and sharing information. I think the information about the cross-contamnation was especially important because maybe she never thought of it that way. However, when you have someone set in their ways; having a bunch of people you don't know make snide remarks is not going to ellicit change. It's one thing to have people that care about you sit down and talk to you and another to be "attacked"(although that may be a strong term in this situation).

People are always going to disagree on something and yes-- the world would be dull if everyone agreed. I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me or persenting a different perspective for me to examine. However, as the old saying goes..."It's not what you say, it's how you say it." I've read all your posts on this thread and found your comments to be pragmatic. You expressed yourself and posed questions without being rude or overly aggressive. You mentioned that you wondered how someone could know if someone was a foot-flusher. Well, you saw the first two reasons I mentioned in the other post but also just simply because we talk about it. Sometimes we get in conversations at work about germs and plenty of women admit to hovering and twice that say they would not dare touch the toliet with their hands. Not only that, all the girls in high school did it. No we don't sit around and have sessions about germs but at some point in some conversation it has come up. You might be in the bathroom and one female mention that she has to flush with her foot and every other girl in there be like " Girl, me too." You get my drift? Now if someone had just asked me the question, I would've nicely explained where I noticed it at, with no problems, and not have been offended. But when you ask with an attitude and basically imply that I'm some pervert peeping through the crack of the stall door, we have a serious problem.

One problem I have with text and cyber communication is that it is very easy to misinterpret someone's meaning behind their comments. So if I misinterpreted anyone, I apologize. If I offended anyone, I apologize--except to the one poster, well the two posters--they know who they are.

Does anyone realize how many germs are on your OWN body? Or the dust mites in your own bed?

Do you kiss your husband? Exchange bodily fluids? I guess I always picture germaphobes wrapped in plastic, making their way through life.

Anyway I have travelled the world and do Disney twice a year - I have never purchased a clorox wipe. We lay down on the comforters. We walk barefoot - can you PLEASE tell me what I will catch from the bottom of my foot?

I think germaphobes are irrational - they worry more about the IDEA of creep crawlies than actual facts.

I NEVER use the bedspread in hotels. As a matter of fact, the first thing I do is peel it off and chuck it in the farthest corner of the room. I have no problem using the rest of the linens as I trust they are washed, but we've all heard the stories about the bedspreads. Bringing my own sheets and blankets would be more trouble than I'd like on vacation. Usually the maid gets the hint when she sees the bedspread hiding in the closet and leaves it off, so that for the most part takes care of my bed linen concerns. As for lysol wipes....don't even get me started! lol....I keep them in my car and diaper bag so you can bet I wipe down a few things such as remote and bathroom. (But I'm not a germ freak, I swear!)

Anyway I have travelled the world and do Disney twice a year - I have never purchased a clorox wipe. We lay down on the comforters. We walk barefoot - can you PLEASE tell me what I will catch from the bottom of my foot?

I have 2 guesses(sp?) on this. First, maybe it is a transfer issue. You walk across the carpet in your bare feet, then those bare feet go in the bed, and rub on the sheets. The carpet yuck can then transfer to the rest of your body.

Second guess, maybe some people chew on their toenails???;)

And not everyone is fully clothed when they sit on the chair or the couch in a hotel room either. Think about THAT for a moment! :rotfl2:

But this I do not understand. Why can people not engage in reasonable discussion without people getting defensive and emotional?

Im so glad someone posted this thought!
It is crazy that we all can't give an opinion with out people reacting in wacky ways. Some people and cultures and countries just like to be more clean than others.
What is wrong with that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter