• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you bring things to occupy your kids while in line?

I wouldn't bring anything that you personally don't feel like having to carry around. And I would not want to be stuck carrying any large electronics. We usually have an ipod touch in our bag that DD can play with in line if she wants but that's only if we are stuck in a really long line. We usually go during slower times so we don't get stuck in too many long lines. Its nice to have with us when we have waits at restaurants and stuff too.

I am worried about our December trip and DS who will be 2 1/2 at the time. My mom and my niece went with us last October and we had extra people and hands to keep him busy and sometimes my mom would wait with him while we rode some rides that she didn't want to ride. He did okay but he's so much more active now and he just gets busier and busier every day it seems. I can't imagine trying to stand in even a 15 minute line with him right now. He would be trying to run off and/or climb and touch everything. He does not do well with staying in one place or being held. He wants to be down and getting into stuff all the time.

I think this is going to have to be a different kind of trip for us and I may end up sitting out a lot of stuff with him. Thankfully DD and just went in March and got to do all our favorites multiple times so it won't be too bad if I miss a few things.

We are also going in December with our DD who will be 2 1/2 at the time and she is busy busy busy as well. We plan on taking pencil and a small pad or maybe even a small coloring books and cars (or like small inexpensive toys) and snacks just in case but want to see how long she will make it first.

OP ~ I love the idea of the journals for in the line or even making up games to play in line. Our DNiece and my DSis went with us in September and that's what they did(made up games or 20 questions or the like) when they were with us tho my awesome niece would try to keep her cousin entertained for us.

Lots of great ideas! I remember reading on here before about suggestions for riding in the car with kids that may apply in lines, too, and you can start them while you're still at home. If your kids have a tendency to squabble, try to "catch" them being good and reward them to encourage the opposite behavior. People have suggested having rolls of quarters or little toys on hand to give for good behavior (or take back for bad). A few instances of this, and maybe your kids won't be as tempted to bicker in line if they know they could get a little something for being nice to one another! Just a thought.

Question? Does anyone take bottles of bubbles for lines in the park?

My kids are 3, 3 and 7 and they have never needed anything to occupy themselves in lines. Most lines have things that occupy them or just people watching. And, believe me my kids are not all that well behaved. :rotfl: You may be surprised that they don't need "entertained."

I asked a question about this a while back and it turned into a huge fight. Anywho, what I learned (besides how hateful some folks are on the internet) was that there are a lot of people who are allergic to bubbles.

We've never needed anything more than Disney and each other for entertainment in line. I hate being loaded down so I'd plan some games (I Spy is always a good standby) that don't require "stuff." Certainly expensive and breakable electronics would not be my choice for a day at Disney.

This. My girls are 8 & 9, and this will be their first trip to WDW. For one, they don't have DS's, iPod Touches or other electronic gizmos...my oldest still has her Leapster that she mainly uses to draw on, but it is NOT going to the park with us. I have an iPhone and a Kindle, but the Kindle is not for them (no kid friendly books on it!) and I won't let them play games on my phone anywhere it could get dropped/lost/damaged.

I love the idea of playing I Spy and looking for Hidden Mickeys. Keeping a notepad and pencil/pen in the bag is a good idea too...I could keep track of how many HM's each girl finds. One of their favorite 'games' now is playing Would You Rather? It gets pretty silly...like "would you rather brush your teeth with a slug or kiss a cow's tongue?" :rotfl2: Perfect for this age group!

I asked a question about this a while back and it turned into a huge fight. Anywho, what I learned (besides how hateful some folks are on the internet) was that there are a lot of people who are allergic to bubbles.

Yep, I'm one of them. There is something in the dyes or fragrence that sets me off. Horribly bad itching, rash sets in. When my kids wanted to do bubbles, I had to wear medical gloves to hold the stick and bottle, or pass the job off to their dad.

So, thanks for not doing bubbles!

Now, if we could just get to the women who wear so much perfume you can swim through their jetstream...:headache:

But for the topic at hand: They are old enough to behave in line. We've left the parks before, and headed back to the hotel room for bad behavior--no fun for us, but better than everyone in the area being subjected to DS's temper tantrums. And we don't bring electronics to the parks, except for DH's cell phone.

I bring my hidden Mickey book - keeps us all entertained during lines and waiting for meals.

Not at those ages! Disney makes this fabulous thing to keep them busy in line and it is free. it is called the map they give you when you walk in. We just talk about where they want to go next, what kind of food we want and they read the brochure and they stand in line.

Our youngest was five on our late trip and we have never taken anything for him or my older one to play in line with. I refuse to carry anything that we absolutely do not have to have. If not for his food allergies, we would not even carry a bag.

Lines are just a non issue. We talk and sing:bitelip:, and discuss everything going on around us. To take things that isolates the kids into themselves discourages this wonderful family time. I do remember a few concerns on keeping him happy waiting for ADR's or long meals but it just has never been an issue at all. Plenty to do and see. A few times he has used my iphone when a meal ran really long but that was few and far between.

Lots of great ideas! I remember reading on here before about suggestions for riding in the car with kids that may apply in lines, too, and you can start them while you're still at home. If your kids have a tendency to squabble, try to "catch" them being good and reward them to encourage the opposite behavior. People have suggested having rolls of quarters or little toys on hand to give for good behavior (or take back for bad). A few instances of this, and maybe your kids won't be as tempted to bicker in line if they know they could get a little something for being nice to one another! Just a thought.

I agree on incentive for good behavior. Not sure of your souvenier (sp?) expense, but maybe start out each day with giving them ability to earn extra spending money. But, I would make it conditional of good behavior. For every line they make it through without arguing, they earn an extra 2 dollars. Showering pixie dust on one family member (without being told) earns an extra 5 dollars (like letting sister ride with mom when they both want to, clearing the table after you eat at a counter service, etc...)

However, playing "I Spy" type games is also a great idea.

The other key is to know your daughters' limits. If they were up til 1am the night before and back in the park the next day at 8am, skip the rides with long lines. The other thought is to tell them they can straighten up or go back to the hotel for a nap and no swimming or watching or tv. Sometimes, the threat of forced rest time helps curb behavior, but then again, a nap sometimes is just the thing to help put them in better humor. :)

I hope you have a stress-free and argue-free vacation. :)

I always feel like we're crazy for doing this, but we don't do or bring anything special to entertain our kids in line. We do our best to minimize wait times by having good touring plans and when we do have long waits, we usually just talk, psych them up for various aspects of the day without putting too much focus on the current attraction, and just taking in the sights, smells and sounds.

Of course, my girls were 2 and 4 on their first two trips and will be 4 and 6 on their next trip, so obviously different age issues than OP's children. Our park issues and meltdowns seem to revolve more around one child being over 40" and the other not ...or mommy and daddy refusing to ride Dumbo for a third time. :rolleyes1

No, we just don't stand in long lines.

If you see a posted time longer than 20 minutes, get a FastPass or come back later.

Unless my kid had some kind of disability, there's no way I'd bring anything for my kids to play with while waiting in lines at Disney. We're at WDW for goodness sake. There's plenty to look at (really Disney has already started basically making their ques one big toy:)) listen to watch ect. There's no need for me to bring toys to the parks for my kids to play with. A little "down" time is good anyway. Not to mention how worried I'd be bout losing something expensive like a DS ect.

My kids try to bring their ds's ect. in the car just to go to the grocery store for goodness sakes. I think it's ridiculous and we have a rule that if it's under an hour, they aren't allowed to bring anything.

By the time they were that age, they brought and carried their own stuff - back then it was Nintendos DSs. We gave them each a backpack or fanny pack. They carried their own snacks as well.

They seldom used the stuff - we are "line managers" and don't tend to spend a lot of time in line. But once in a while, it was nice.

However, this is a warning....kids who bury their faces in Nintendos at seven often turn into table texters at thirteen. Its probably best if you set the expectation that for small waits they make small talk, play word games, and entertain themselves - teach them now that burying their face in electronics is not well mannered. When the wait extends past half an hour or the line moves really slow, that's when supplemental entertainment can be accessed.

Our kids were 9 and 7 on our trip last Sept. and like yours, our 7yo DD is pretty impatient. One of our favorite games to play is 20 questions where the answer is a Disney character (or we've done Disney rides or movies also). We also play " I Spy" and like a pp mentioned, our kids are very into "Would you rather..." right now. We've been to WDW many times and waiting in lines has never been an issue. Even went to Universal once and waited 90 min for the Harry Potter ride and it still wasn't an issue.

Like others mentioned, if you have a good plan, you shouldn't be waiting in lines over 15 min. Hit the headliners at rope drop and use the FPs.

Our kids do have DSs but they are only for car rides and plane rides. We've instituted the "no electronics at the table" rule (home and restaurants) and the only time we ever have an issue is when my parents (who are 65) come to visit and they can't seem to put their IPads down for more than 2 minutes. They are worse than teenagers!!

We are also going in December with our DD who will be 2 1/2 at the time and she is busy busy busy as well. We plan on taking pencil and a small pad or maybe even a small coloring books and cars (or like small inexpensive toys) and snacks just in case but want to see how long she will make it first.

My problem is DS always tries to eat crayons. At restaurants the first thing we do is take them away. He will eat anything. Well except the stuff we want him to eat.

I'm thinking his little cars and some snacks. Plus we'll have our iphones. I really hope that we can just avoid any long lines. My biggest thing is that he's going to want to run off. He doesn't like to be carried, he wants to be down and moving.

Get a book about hidden mickey's and spend time in line trying to find them. When our kids were younger we kept straws and suckers as well as pipe cleaners for them. We used them for mealtime as well. The were very creative with what they would make and the items were very inexpensive and easily replaceable.

The things at Disney should keep them occupied. I personally don';t want to carry more then I have too and it seems a parent always end up carrying what the kids say they will.

I say do whatever makes your life easier -- you know your kids the best. I let my son bring his DS to EPCOT on the day that we were seeing Illuminations. He liked having it to play with while we waited and I enjoyed the quiet time too (he has ADHD and can be disruptive and talk non stop.)

We're local and don't do any rides with longer than 15 minute wait times (we do Fast pass or come back in the evening.)

Yesterday, I saw a young kid with a book to read on the ferry to MK and I've seen adults with books. I also see a lot of adults and kids playing on their iphone and ipads -- it's just so commonplace.

Perhaps have some rules or make DS time a reward for good behavior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter