do you bring food to eat in the motel room? I need ideas!!

We always have breakfast items like those round ready to use cereal tubs and can pick up a wee milk at either a gas station or the hotel store. And plastic utensils and little pack of napkins. Mini or regular muffins, more continental style items...often while we are getting ready the kids are already munching and we munch while waiting on transport or in the line for opening. Granolas for Mummy :)
We get a case of water and crystal light or Kool aid packets to add flavor (also tiny to carry around) and some juice boxes. We get little snacks or packets and baggies. Everything you can think off that you and your kids would like to nibble on - especially kids, and especially while waiting in line.
There are lots of Disney themed food items sold in regular and dollar stores that bring in the magic!
My kids like the themed cookies/graham crackers and natural fruit snacks. Fruit is handy but usually only for IN room in case of damage. Trail mixes, pnt btr crackers or cheese crackers, even bread and sandwich meat/pb&j if you have room and depending how long you are going for - we get those mini single serve ones 9condiment section). Chips in those sturdy containers, popcorn, dried fruit (usually craisins or yogurt raisins), cinnamon almonds in the container (mmmmm), mini granulated coffee packets and tea bags, chex mix and some little treats like sf lollipops or tiny candies for emergency treats!
PHEW!

Are most of you driving? I cannot imagine lugging all of these thing with my since we fly! Especially with the luggage restrictions.

We usually have a fridge (our latest trip, we used a fridge swap which was great).

We had all our breakfasts (except one which we promised our dd) in our room. We made sandwiches before we left to take to the parks. We used insulated lunch bags which the freezie things that we froze over night. We brought juice and some snacks. Also brought a water bottle of water from the resort. We ate one meal in a restaurant whether it was cs or ts. Just depended on where we were and what we felt like eating.

By bringing out sandwhichs we saved both money and time. Took us a few minutes to eat and then off we went again. No waiting in line, looking for a table. Also, after a while, it seems that all the food is the same unless you eat at ts restaurants which take even more time.

Also since we ordered from Garden Grocers, we were able to buy tomatoes, carrots, celery, zuccini and lots of fruits. Better for us!!!

There is so much to see and do at DW, I don't want to spend too much time waiting in line for food........

Hope you have a great trip!

We pack cereal in our luggage and buy milk at the gift shop and eat breakfast in the room almost every morning. Coming home the space used by cereal is now empty for souvenirs ^^.

Other than that we bring a random assortment of whatever snacks sound good when we stop at target the night before flying out.

Are most of you driving? I cannot imagine lugging all of these thing with my since we fly! Especially with the luggage restrictions.
We always have a car. We generally hit Wal-Mart first thing.

I am driving down as well, and staying at POFQ. I am bring my DD12 and my Dnieces 14 and 16. They eat SO MUCH. I passed on the dining plan this time, and plan to eat some meals offsite. We have 3 ADR's planned, all buffets, (Chef Mickey's, Biergarten, and Cape May Clambake) and I am going to force them to eat breakfast in the room. LOL This is what I am bringing.
- plastic bowls, spoons, cups and plates (left over from DD's bday party)
- individual boxes of cereal - found some decently priced ones at WalMart
- Big variety 45 count pack of Austin cheese and crackers, peanut butter crackers and sandwich cookies (Found at Sam's Club for about 7 bucks)
- case of bottled water
- Crystal Light/ Hawaiian punch packets (teenage girls drink plain water???!??? lol yeah right)
- Ramen instant lunch - these are the ones that come in the bowl and you just add hot water to. DD LOVES noodles.
- a loaf of bread, peanut butter, and jelly
- bananas

I have budgeted enough for mickey bars and a couple nice buffets, and some trips offsite to CiCi's pizza buffet, and Golden Corral. (have I mentioned they eat a lot?) so I figure breakfast and snacks in the room will save some money.

Now I just need to find an over the door shoe holder to hold the insane amount of make-up, hair products, sunblock, etc.... that I am sure will be everywhere by day 2. :)

Just curious, do you know why she was made to throw out the peanut butter? I'm going on a plane trip (not to Disney) with my young son very soon, and had planned on bringing some pb sandwiches on the plane for him to snack on... I know some states (California, for example) don't allow fresh fruit to be brought in because of fruit flies...but I had never heard of an issue with pb.

Have you thought about what you will give him for a snack if they announce someone on the plane has a peanut allergy? Something to think about just in case.

LOL, we rent a car at the airport and stop at a grocery store on the way in.

does anyone know how much the milk cost in the resort we are staying at POR. Thanks to everyone for helping! Keep them coming I still have my list and it is growing with ideas!! Does anyone take a ice chest to the room or is it to big of a pain? I was not sure how big the mini fridge is

When I was a kid and we went to Disney back in the 1980s (before mods and values), we always stayed offsite and for some nights we'd go get a pizza and a head of lettuce and dresing for salads, or maybe some sub sandwiches. Other nights, we'd have nicer dinners at the parks (I LOVED Le Chefs and Biergarten back then). If you have a car, you can always swing off property (assuming you are staying on-site) and get prepared food at any number of fast food places or family restaurants.

We mainly bring food for breakfast in the room, and snacks at the parks...I personally prefer to save our QS credits for lunch/dinner because breakfast is breakfast...a scrambled egg is the same anywhere, but a taco salad in MK, not that's something special ;) Oh...and we drive, so we have the advantage of a cooler, but you could easily do without...

Breakfast:
dry cereal
milk (purchased in the resort gift shop)
hard boiled eggs (we get a room with a fridge)
instant oatmeal
string cheese
bananas
apples
applesauce or fruit cups

Snacks (we carry in our backpack):

dried fruit
granola bars (making my own this year, since dh and dd like them better than store bought)
trail mix
goldfish crackers
beef jerky
raw nuts (almonds, cashews, etc.)
fruit strips (Trader Joe's brand)

Even tho' we are on vacation I really try to keep our breakfast and snacks low sugar and healthy since we get the DDP and there are a lot of desserts and treats available with that.

Also keep in mind your child's specific needs - our dd6 is a monster by mid-morning if she doesn't have some type of protein at breakfast. We've noticed it also helps during the day as well (which is how the nuts and beef jerky made it onto the snack list).

Be careful, though - every time I've packed snacks to have in the room, we end up tossing most of them away when we are packing to go back on the plane. Bottled water, that's a handy thing to have, and a box of cookies or something, but unless I was traveling with someone who needed to eat every few hours for health reasons, I wouldn't pack much more than that.
KC:hippie:

I have the same problem - I have way more food in the room than I end up eating, and throw lots of it out. It's easy to overestimate how much you'll need! Remember, you're not saving money if you end up throwing away a bunch of stuff at the end of your trip.

So I try to get stuff for breakfast in the room (a box of cereal, milk, and some bananas), plus some bottled water, some soda, a snack or two to eat in the room (like chips or cookies), and couple of "packable" snacks to bring to the parks with me (like trail mix, granola bars, raisins, nuts) -- that's it. On my last trip, I also bought things from the resort (POR) food court like celery and carrot sticks, and sliced apples, to keep in the room --- you can also buy those things at the parks! I had brought some "to go" cups of Jif peanut butter with me from home, and made my own "ants on a log" (remember that from camp? celery sticks, peanut butter, raisins). Great, healthy snack!

I'm not in the room much, since I tend to be in the parks all day long -- to go back to the room for lunch would be a time-waster for me. Because I eat breakfast in the room, that saves both time and money. I tend to eat mostly CS meals in the parks, so I'm not spending much there.

We are staying at the Contemporary, and I was thinking about using gardengrocer.com because we have 3 small children that drink a lot of milk. I know you can buy the boxed kind, but the baby drinks whole milk and I have not seen that in the boxes. I keep reading about buying milk on-site. Is using a delivery service for milk and bottled water not worth it? Also, if we go the delivery route, will the resort store my milk in the refrigerator if they deliver when we are not there?

Have you thought about what you will give him for a snack if they announce someone on the plane has a peanut allergy? Something to think about just in case.

What allergy has to do with that? PB is dense and has jelly/ paste like feel and this is why is often taken by security, that is all.

What allergy has to do with that? PB is dense and has jelly/ paste like feel and this is why is often taken by security, that is all.

The poster I was responding to said she had planned on bringing PB sandwiches which (as far as I know) you can bring through security you just cant bring a jar of PB through. The problem she might run into is someone on the plane could have an allergy and the FA might ask people not to eat peanut products on the flight. I just wanted to give her a heads up so she could bring something else he likes.

The poster I was responding to said she had planned on bringing PB sandwiches which you can bring through security. The problem she might run into is someone on the plane could have an allergy and the FA might ask people not to eat peanut products on the flight. I just wanted to give her a heads up so she could bring something else he likes.

Most airlines will just create a buffer around the person with the allergy.

From Delta:
When you notify us that you have a peanut allergy, we'll create a buffer zone of three rows in front of and three rows behind your seat. We'll also advise cabin service to board additional non-peanut snacks, which will allow our flight attendants to serve these snack items to everyone within this area.

From Southwest:
As some of our other snack items may contain peanut particles, peanut oil, or have been packaged in a peanut facility, Customers who have allergic reactions to eating/ingesting peanuts should read the ingredients on any packaged snack before consumption. Of course, all Customers are welcome to bring their own snacks with them.

Southwest cannot prevent other Customers from bringing peanuts or products containing peanuts onboard our flights. In addition, Southwest cannot give assurances that remnants of peanuts and/or peanut dust/oil will not remain on the aircraft floor, seats, or tray tables from flights earlier in the aircraft’s routing.

We drive also and eat on the DDP so our eating in the room is mostly breakfast and snacks. We get the Otis Spunkmeyer muffins from Sam's. They are easy to take because of the box and one is enough for breakfast. We take: small resealable bottles of oj and water
trail mix
string cheese
jelly beans
On the DDP and with the refillable mugs we dont need to take too much food. We found that the snacks we packed in our park bags didnt get eaten either. Other than the muffins, I try not to take too many boxed items that take up more room and things that would pulverize if my DH was annoyed with the packing and threw something on top of it :rotfl: "....but this IS the condensed pile of things that go with us, honey." :rolleyes1 :lmao:

I ordered from Garden Grocer, which I was so happy to find! We're on the dining plan, but we will be doing breakfast in the room and some snacks for the parks.

I ordered:
Aseptic packs of milk
instant oatmeal (my kids actually use hot tap water in this, since they don't like it scalding so this is perfect)
coffee mate (for me!)
cereal
shelf stable fruit, apples, bananas, oranges
pretzels
teddy grahams
shelf stable pudding snacks
juice boxes
a big box of assorted chips and snacks
water
bowls, plates and utensils
and a couple of starkist tuna kits for quick lunches if we need them

My opinion on the milk issue is that while DD normally drinks whole milk, we are there for only one week. One weeks of 2% is not going to make much of a difference, especially if she is getting whole milk or cheese at other meals. Also, there are only a few grams of fat less in 2% than whole. We are kind of conditioned to think of it as more because of the language, but really, it's not. Whole milk is 4% fat, I believe, so in 100 grams, 4 grams is fat. In 2%, it is only 2 grams less. Not a biggie, imo.

The lady at Garden Grocer did tell me that if our package arrives before we do that the front desk will store all of our goods at the correct temp until we arrive (even though we didn't get anything that needed refrigeration).

I think we are going to have a ton left over, but it was less to buy the 50 pack of snack chips than to get a smaller amount of a couple varieties. We may have to find someone to take the remains that are still sealed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter