Do you book SW the second it becomes available?

autismgoesdisney

DIS Veteran
Sunday SW is opening for my September dates. I am wondering how many think SW has the best fares when they first open.

I don't know WHAT to do. Book SW on Sunday OR wait until JB puts out their middle of September dates!

Give me answers, PLEASE :) Going nuts on this one :)

Sunday SW is opening for my September dates. I am wondering how many think SW has the best fares when they first open.

I don't know WHAT to do. Book SW on Sunday OR wait until JB puts out their middle of September dates!

Wondering this myself so subbing in.

I always buy the day they are released. We go each year Easter week. I have not had the fare go down. Just my experience.

I have done both and you don't necessarily get the best price at opening. I think last year, I book my flights going to Fl but waited on the return tickets because I felt they were too high (and they were because I did get a better rate).

Ultimately, I have a range of price that I would be willing to pay based on my previous flights and what I could afford. If I feel comfortable with the opening price, I book, if not I wait. Keeping in mind that we always fly during Labor Day, prices are a bit higher and I accept that. Last year we paid I believe 134.00 pp coming home. Going down, I think the fair was right about 95.00 pp.

I don't wait for Jet Blue because the airport they fly from is not that convenient for us so I can't suggest whether or not to wait.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the response! I am not even sure what a good price is anymore. We haven't flown in quite some time, as we have been driving down but this year we are doing mid week to mid week and driving just isn't convenient.

Hoping for some good prices!

I rarely price on opening day, but have checked within the first week, and often find the rates go down later. We fly out of KC, though, our rates are higher than the East coast, not sure how helpful my info will be.:flower3: I've been paying upwards of $300/person in the last few years. I feel lucky if it drops to $250 r/t!

I usually price out the flights when they first come available, but don't book them right away. I will usually check constantly for a couple of weeks to see if there is any difference in price. If not, then I will book them. If the prices go down later, I can always re-book my flights and get credit towards future flights. I've also learned with Southwest, it's usually better to book with them during the week (usually Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday), rather then on a weekend. That's when prices tend to come down. Prices don't always come down; but when they do, that's when they seem to happen.

If I'm traveling during a school winter/spring vacation time, yes I book as soon as the flight is avail. This afternoon I booked a flight for 5 weeks from today without any issues and a good price.

My experiences: in 2009 was online when fares were updated - got $79 each way, Pittsburgh to MCO (for an early December flight). Later that same day some of the flights were up to $120 each way, including ours; during the later weeks some of those dropped back, and the $79 fare was still available for one or two flights. Ours never did drop back down.

This year, going in October, so can't book yet, but have been watching the fares closely. When the last update occurred, and I again was online the day they extended the booking period, fares were pretty much $120 each way across the board. A couple of weeks later they fell to $95 each way and the majority of those remain there (even through the summer, up to August 8, the last booking date currently available). I continue to monitor the fares, watching for any sort of pattern.

My advice, which may be too late for you if you plan to book Sunday when the schedule is advanced, is to watch your flights before the schedule changes. That might provide a clue as to their movement, but even then you are at the mercy of supply/demand, the time of the year you are flying, fuel prices, route cuts, etc.

The golden rule seems to be: if you find a fare you can live with, book it.

:confused3Anyone know when they will open up for November??:confused3

Well.....it depends. Since you have New Jersey listed as your location I'm guessing you will be flying from Phila, Newark, LaGuardia, or Baltimore? Couple questions......how many are flying? If you have 5 or 6 people, can't hurt to book early.....if the price goes down you can always get the credit.....however, it will need to be used within one year from the BOOKING date NOT the date of travel AND by the person who's name is on the ticket. However, in my experience (we fly from PHL on SWA a few times a year to MCO) I usually get my best price about 6 to 8 weeks out....and September is not a huge travel month...like Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter breaks. Another thing....it also depends on the day of the week you're traveling......for whatever reason....Sunday is usually the busiest travel day of the week...I try to avoid Sunday travel if at all possible.....tix are usually more expensive and airports are busier. Any weekend day is probably going to cost a bit more.....sometimes not hugely....especially if you're willing to take an off-time flight (i.e. to MCO that means NOT an early A.M. flight) I find I often get great prices on mid day flights to MCO (not sure if SWA still has one around 1:00 dep. PHL/arriving MCO about 3:00 or so...they did in Oct.) Hope my tips have been helpful to you.......we've been making the PHL/MCO run on SWA for quite a few years now....actually ever since SWA started servicing PHL. However, we've also used Airtran from Lehigh Valley, PA (ABE) for a few trips and really like those flights also.....usually get great prices on them too.....not to mention it's closer to home than PHL!!!

Thanks for all the tips.

I did some pricing and it looks like if we can get the 79 each way, then we will book. Not sure if that will happen, but we are a family of five and traveling either on Tuesday or Wednesday (whichever is cheapest). We know the week we want but didn't book the trip yet so we can ride it out. If its 95 than we will consider, anything higher and I hear that it will go down and we can wait for JB.

We prefer JB and are bummed that JB isn't coming out yet and I heard they won't come out until Feb or March! I want to get travel straightened out by our six month mark so we can book dining!

:confused3Anyone know when they will open up for November??:confused3

Once they open up their next set of dates this Sunday (which will be through September 28th), then I'm sure they will update their site to let us know what dates will be next. I'm also in need of December flights, so hopefully they won't wait too long.

Over the years, i have heard from a few "people" who know alot more about this stuff than we do, that SWA and other airlines seem to always be higher on the weekends, starting fridays, because thats when "normal" people finally get a chance to sit down and plan things out.

I am not "normal" and I am always looking, BUT...they are correct.

Fares are cheaper when purchased tues, weds and thurs.

If we dont get the fare we want, or KNOW what it should be at the start, we will then wait until it starts to come down a bit.

Example, 2 weeks ago i was pricing a RT ticket on SWA for DW to visit family- flying into Tampa and out of MCO was $290.00 (from MDW)

Just this past Weds, that same ticket was now $198.00.

Our rates for May came out in October at $153 each way (I paid $151 total pp in 2009). I was up at 5:30 when they came out. I did not book, though they stayed that price until a sale on a Wednesday night right after Christmas. Flights went down to $99 each way and I snatched them up. When I refreshed, they were back to $153. They are now up to close to $163. This is each way, so close to $350 pp r/t. So glad I found those $99 flights!

This is all interesting. I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow. We do prefer JB (though we never flew SW) but either way we are ok if we are getting a good rate. I can't wait to book something so I can work on my package for WDW :)

If I plan on traveling during a busy/holiday time that will probably sell out quickly, then I tend to book my flights on the day the schedule opens up. Based on my experience, those flight prices will continue to go up that day and future days.

If it isn't a busy time, then I tend to wait 3 - 4 months prior to the travel date to book - it seems like this is when SW has the lowest fares. For example, when the schedule came out last November, Vegas to Louisville on 6/11/12 was about $250 one way and this weekend it is pricing out at $181 - quite a big difference!

Our rates for May came out in October at $153 each way (I paid $151 total pp in 2009). I was up at 5:30 when they came out. I did not book, though they stayed that price until a sale on a Wednesday night right after Christmas. Flights went down to $99 each way and I snatched them up. When I refreshed, they were back to $153. They are now up to close to $163. This is each way, so close to $350 pp r/t. So glad I found those $99 flights!

:eek: That's what time they released the new dates? Yikes. I get up at 5:30 on weekdays but sure don't like to on the weekend.

What time zone are you in? Maybe with it being a Sunday release, they'll do it later this time. Who knows. Will find out soon enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter