• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you actually use your verandah with small kids?

mickeysimba

Mouseketeer
We have a 4E extended verandah for our first cruise because the ocean and inside categories had already sold out. Some deluxe inside came available today for our 4 day Dream cruise and I grabbed a 10A.

The price difference is enough to help us get a better resort before the cruise in WDW.

I read that since our balcony is on the left side of the ship, we won't see anything from the balcony anyways, since everything like fireworks are on the right.

I still can't grasp how little we will be in our room, much less how and when we would want to use our verandah. :confused3

We'll have a 3 and 9 year old at the time.

Would welcome feedback.

Thank you!

Do they still nap? Then. While you are getting ready for an activity. First thing in the morning if some are up and others are not. Think about how you'd use it at a resort (staying at the resort all day, not in a theme park) or in a hotel room and that's pretty much the same.

We enjoy having a verandah but don't find it to be a requirement. It depends on the length of the trip. When we did 14 night through the Panama Canal? Sure. On a 4 night? Not necessary, we're out trying to enjoy the ship.

You don't want to be watching the fireworks from your balcony anyway, they are way better up on deck.

I am always up earlier than the rest of my family so I have room service delivered and I enjoy a cup of tea out on the verandah while everyone else is still sleeping. It is also nice to go out there in the evening for a glass of wine and cheese.

We had a verandah, for a 4 night, and we LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!!! There is nothing better than waking up in the morning to an outstanding view of the ocean, and we would love being able to watch the ship pull into port. Though I suppose it wouldn't be absolutely necessary, I think you would be able to find times to enjoy it, I know we sure did!!

Also useful if you want to hang out after the kids have gone to sleep in the evening. Not a necessity, but surely nice.

My DD4 loves a balcony (although she will experience her first cruise in a few months). Whichever resort we have been to, be it a beach resort or the AKL, she likes to hang out on the balcony and have breakfast or snack and just take in the view and relax.

These are all great points. I guess after the kids fall asleep it could be nice, but aren't the extended verandahs exposed with no privacy anyways? ;)

I just wondered how many people with little ones came who after their cruise and said, "wow, we paid for a verandah we never even used!"

They have the same amount of privacy as a regular verandah, it's just the bit that sticks out beyond the normal depth that is uncovered.

The environment is not very conducive to that in all honesty. ;)

We did not. I went out on it maybe once or twice and that was it. We took some photos out there but I was too nervous trying to watch the kids on it, so we didn't really linger. (I had a climber back then). I did like watching us pull away from ports, I admit that.

We didn't book a balcony this time around. I might miss it, but it was around $6000 less for our family to book two 10A rooms over two veranda rooms. To me, it was an easy choice. Even though I could see wanting one more in Alaska. In all, on our last cruise, we spent very little time in our room.
The prices have gone up a lot in the last 2 years so I am kinda hoping I don't miss it!!! :bitelip:

We loved the verandah. Our boys are 3 and 8. I had nightmares prior to travelling about safety and such... But it was very safe and it added to the space of the room. Having coffee in the morning looking out at the ocean was memorable. The only draw back, not sure if I could cruise without it now...haha

We have paid for a veranda in the past and not really used it. DS was 2 and if we went out it became a game for him to try and go in and out of the veranda. That being said I do love the oceanview and we have actually travelled more often without a veranda than with one.

It is much easier to start without a veranda than to give one up once you are used to it. If it is not a big deal to you then save the money for something that you will enjoy more. There are plenty of other opportunities to see, hear, and smell the sea.

I love verandas & have had them with my kids since they were 2 1/2 & 4. As long as you keep it locked, I can't imagine they would have the strength to unlock it, my now 14 yo has issues with the lock. We use it, like was mentioned, for breakfast. I hate waking the kids up, only makes them crabby all day, so I order room service & wait for them on the verandah. Then, in the afternoon, we like to have hors d'oeurves while we dress for dinner & relax on the verandah. I wouldn't miss up just because you're worried the kids are too little, they'll love it.

I hate waking the kids up, only makes them crabby all day, so I order room service & wait for them on the verandah.

Do you mean you can wait for room service to deliver your food on the verandah? They can access it? Does it open out to a perimeter walkway or something? Sorry first time cruising question.

Do you mean you can wait for room service to deliver your food on the verandah? They can access it? Does it open out to a perimeter walkway or something? Sorry first time cruising question.
Room service cannot deliver to your veranda. They will come to the door and knock. You can them take the tray to the veranda yourself.

In our case, I selected a room with a verandah as a place to "escape" from the crowds without feeling stuck in the room. The cost was only approximately $200 more than an oceanview room so not a big expense for add'l sq. footage. I could easily see DH spending time out there with his kindle on a sea day.

We booked it much like you as Inside and Oceanview were not available. I have to say my wife warmed up to the idea big time (as she usually is stingy and wants the cheapest room possible) and ended up late at night several nights and loving it. I also took the chance to check it out one night in the middle of the night. It was awesome especially when the ship is at sea and ankered.... never experienced anything quite like this
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3280898&highlight=miss+ocean
But next trip we will need to save every penny so I guess I just have to do another late night stroll but it won't be the same and would not be able to setup my gear for shots. Just the window you would miss the sound of the waves and the wind. BTW our concern was security but of cause the door had a lock that was high on top of the door so no risk of kids getting out on their own

Our 17 month and then nearly 2 year old loved the balcony! She stood and stared at the water while eating breakfast and enjoyed looking as we sailed away and at the ports!

We were on the balcony more than in the room I think. My son was 8 and he loved it, he sat out there and did homework, we had snacks out there, escaped from people without having to be inside, spent every morning waiting for my son to wake up out there and many evenings after he'd gone to bed out there. We didn't hold him to his normal schedule but after a day in the sun he was exhausted and I wasn't ready for bed most nights so we'd get the cheese platter pour a couple of drinks from our personal alcohol and enjoy the sea air.

It will all depend on what you and your family prefer and how you will be spending your time.
My mom and I loved to sit out on our balconies in the morning with our room service coffee and often a snack too (bagel, fruit, muffin, etc). It was a nice quiet time in the morning and often times my kids and hubby were still in bed, lol.
It is nice to have your own balcony space to step out on to through out the day when ou return to your room.

But if you don't really care for morning coffee on the balcony, or don't mind not having your own balcony space, then by all means skip it. It won't make or break your trip either way I'm sure. Disney is great with or without a balcony :)

We've always had a verandah just because my husband can get claustrophobic. Our girls were 4 one trip & 5 the next. We used it a lot. Breakfast almost every morning. For putting on sunscreen & looking at the ports when coming in & out. Also for afternoon snacks. It was worth it for us but every family is different.

It will all depend on what you and your family prefer and how you will be spending your time.
My mom and I loved to sit out on our balconies in the morning with our room service coffee and often a snack too (bagel, fruit, muffin, etc). It was a nice quiet time in the morning and often times my kids and hubby were still in bed, lol.
It is nice to have your own balcony space to step out on to through out the day when ou return to your room.

But if you don't really care for morning coffee on the balcony, or don't mind not having your own balcony space, then by all means skip it. It won't make or break your trip either way I'm sure. Disney is great with or without a balcony :)

I agree with this....it really depends on your family. When we took our first cruise, my then 2 year old was napping and we used our balcony every day when she was napping. And we had our last breakfast on the balcony too. However, as she gets older, I can see how an oceanview would do just fine. If there was a huge cost savings I would go oceanview now that she's past the nap stage. But if it was only like $200-300 more, I'd do a veranda. If you have kids that are a little more excitable and you would be nervous about them the whole time, its not worth it. Mine is laid back and I never worried about her on the veranda so its all a matter of knowing your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter