Do we need a Deluxe Family Oceanview stateroom?

jlbridg2

Mouseketeer
We are planning our first cruise with kids (DCL 3 times pre-kids) and are looking at oceanview w/ verandah vs the family oceanview w/ verandah. We love having the verandah for coffee in the morning or wine in the evening. Other than the extra 50sqft is there something in the family room that makes it worth while? The cruise party will be me, DH, DS age 5 and DS age 3 (finally!!). We've been waiting for our youngest to get to 3 so he can do the kids club on the ship with his big brother. We plan on spending some quality down time in the room and are not go, go, go people. Thoughts? Which one did you do and would you do it the same again?

I do not think you need the family room. We cruise with a 15 and 12 year old have been fine in the regular verandah room. The family room has the extra space between the end of the couch and the verandah where in some of the rooms will be a Murphy bed that comes down from the wall.

If you get the regular room, one of your guys will be on the top 'bunk'. Are either of them willing/able to sleep up there? If so, then the extra bed isn't necessary, just the decision if you want the room.

If you get the regular room, one of your guys will be on the top 'bunk'. Are either of them willing/able to sleep up there? If so, then the extra bed isn't necessary, just the decision if you want the room.
Not all of the Family rooms have the 5th bed so if you decide to go that route make sure to check that the room you pick has it. Another thing about the Murphy bed is that it blocks the door to the verandah when it is down.

We've done both. Our family verandah room did not have the 3rd bed so that extra 50 sq. ft. came with a tall cupboard for extra storage which was nice. We were able to completely unpack our family of 4 with room to spare. It also had an extra chair to sit in and the extra space gave us a place to store our pop up hamper out of the way. It was nice but I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred extra for it for the week. We didn't notice that big of a difference and we were able to enjoy the room just as much with a regular size room.

We booked a family verandah room with murphy bed even though we have 2 kids with us (ages 16 and 5 at time of sailing) because my 16 year old is at least 6'2" and wont fit on the bunk bed and my daughter moves to much to sleep on that bunk bed so we opted for the murphy bed and couch. Not sure if you feel comfortable with one of your kids sleeping on the drop down bunk bed. If so, just ask for a rail for the beds. Honestly, I wished my dd didnt move so much so we could just get a regular verandah room and save $$ but it is what it is

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter