• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do This-Not That: Cruise Ship Etiquette

The only one I disagree with is the allergy challenged in the buffet line. I usually get a chef to explain GF items to me and then go through quicker then most. The reason for the chef is I can actually eat more then I would have guessed by just winging it. The walk through with the chef doesn't impede anyone so it is good. I could see it being a problem though if the person getting the food run through asks a lot of questions, but for me show me safe foods and I will commence with the overheating:)

Cgolf

Thanks for sharing this. It's a nice simple list. I'm going to bookmark it as I'm hoping family will join us on our next cruise and it will be their first time. Never hurts to gently point out some expectations.

Here is a thread from 2011 that discusses cruise ship etiquette. I also bumped it up so it is on the first page. It amazes me how common sense most things are but seem to evade many people.

CRUISE SHIP ETIQUETTE

MJ

1. If in a group don't walk side by side taking up the entire area, others need to walk /move in the opposite direction of your herd.

2. Do not play chicken with scooters and wheelchairs, move over!

3. If you can walk and climb stairs, thank God for your Blessings and allow people without your options into the elevator.

4. Use indoor voices

5. If you wouldn't walk into your local McDonald's in nothing but a string bikini why do you think it is OK at the buffet? I'm not talking children but adult women. My husband did not appreciate your @$$ hanging out with no cover-up while he was trying to eat.

That would be the better option versus throwing everything into the dirty towel bin. On our 2008 cruise I spent 15 minutes in the adult pool area sitting in the hot tub. I put a towel, my cover up, & KTTW card on a chair since there wasn't anywhere else to put it. I got out and it was gone and a straw hat & gold KTTW cards were there in its place, not people. So apparently they were also in the pool/hot tub and needed a place to put their things. I believe that our things could have easily shared a chair. :rolleyes1 It took CMs a while to help me find my things and the coward who put them there never spoke up when they asked if anyone had seen anything. They even called for the person by name to find out if the chair had already been cleared before they got there.

That is one of the reasons why I do it when leaving - because I want to make sure the stuff is really unattended - if no one has visited that chair for the hour or more I'm watching my kids, its unattended.

Fifteen minutes - no way - you could be in the pool or hot tub yourself - or have run to the drink station or the buffet. Moving someone's stuff after fifteen minutes is far ruder than saving a deck chair.

(And I wish cruise ships and pools would have cubbies - I don't need a deck chair for when I'm sitting IN the hot tub - but I want a place to put my coverup and sandals and the book I'm going to read once I need the deck chair. The way things are normally set up, we have little choice but to use deck chairs for stuff, which isn't at all efficient and makes the chair saving problem far easier to get away with).

That is one of the reasons why I do it when leaving - because I want to make sure the stuff is really unattended - if no one has visited that chair for the hour or more I'm watching my kids, its unattended.

Fifteen minutes - no way - you could be in the pool or hot tub yourself - or have run to the drink station or the buffet. Moving someone's stuff after fifteen minutes is far ruder than saving a deck chair.

(And I wish cruise ships and pools would have cubbies - I don't need a deck chair for when I'm sitting IN the hot tub - but I want a place to put my coverup and sandals and the book I'm going to read once I need the deck chair. The way things are normally set up, we have little choice but to use deck chairs for stuff, which isn't at all efficient and makes the chair saving problem far easier to get away with).

I love the cubby idea!

The only one I disagree with is the allergy challenged in the buffet line.

Nothing wrong with taking extra time if you have food allergies. For people who don't though???? Just try it you might like it. If you don't just leave it and go back and try something else. No need to worry about wasting a bit of food.

I would love to make copies of this and put it in the fish extender of the parents that let their kids run the halls:rotfl:

Fantastic idea! It's much nicer than my evil thoughts of being able to tie fishing line across the hall ;) Kidding, everyone!

sad that "common sense" isn't so common,but we're just over a week away from sailing and I'm in total countdown mode...someone would have to be really obnoxious to let my fun and relaxation be affected!

"My guess is that the people who need this list aren't the ones reading it"

What's worse is that the ones that need the list don't think it applies to them. Anyway, Oct. 19th we head out on the Wonder out of Galveston. Can't wait to experience our first cruise. :cool1:

If I copied this article and anonymously placed it in the fish 4 cabins in each direction of myself and above and below me, do you think that I might be able to actually get some sleep on my next cruise???
Just off the Fantasy Saturday, had three nights of slamming, running, and yelling toward the end. Could even hear it over the sound machine. It was quite frustrating.

I enjoyed reading this article and glad that I'm following these cruise etiquettes. It's just mostly common sense and respect for your fellow passengers and crew.

If I copied this article and anonymously placed it in the fish 4 cabins in each direction of myself and above and below me, do you think that I might be able to actually get some sleep on my next cruise???
Just off the Fantasy Saturday, had three nights of slamming, running, and yelling toward the end. Could even hear it over the sound machine. It was quite frustrating.

It's worth a shot. I would try. Sounds as if it couldn't get much worse. :thumbsup2

That could backfire on you too, people may go out of their way to be loud and annoying if they got right away, but may be worth a try. What I would do then is also make sure one is on your door too and leave it there for while so nobody knows who did it;)

That would be the better option versus throwing everything into the dirty towel bin. On our 2008 cruise I spent 15 minutes in the adult pool area sitting in the hot tub. I put a towel, my cover up, & KTTW card on a chair since there wasn't anywhere else to put it. I got out and it was gone and a straw hat & gold KTTW cards were there in its place, not people. So apparently they were also in the pool/hot tub and needed a place to put their things. I believe that our things could have easily shared a chair. :rolleyes1 It took CMs a while to help me find my things and the coward who put them there never spoke up when they asked if anyone had seen anything. They even called for the person by name to find out if the chair had already been cleared before they got there.

Omg I would have been livid! I would have sat in the chair right next to the stuff that had replaced yours until the owner came. Cannot believe the audacity of some people!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter