do they give out motion sickness meds?

DisneyKarenG

Mouseketeer
The last time I cruised with DCL was in 2000 when I was a castmember. I remember them giving out litle pills to us for motion sickness - and that is about all I remember from the cruise, I think they gave me memory loss!! LOL

Do they still give those out? Anyone know what they are?

If there is a bad storm the medical centre will but normally no.

So book a midship middeck room to avoid it.

Note one cure crackers can be obtained from room service. Get fresh air and view horizon at the widest point.

From what I have read, the medical center has meclizine (Bonine) available. However, it is best to take sea sickness medicine before you have symptoms. I would recommend buying Bonine or Dramamine II (Non-drowsy, meclizine) and start taking it before you get on the ship if you think you might be prone to sea sickness. I take one once in the morning and one before bedtime and have never had any sea sickness, even in rough seas.

Yes, get it into your system before you sail, trust me I have been through it. Its so awful to feel like that.
I start Bonine the night before we sail and take one at bedtime every night of the cruise and I have no issues.

sometimes you can get it from guest services, not sure why its not a constant. other than that the medical centre will give it to you at no fee.
i do agree with the others, if you think you may need it and it has been your experience that you do, start it early. i take ginger on the first and second day, after that i'm fine.

I would buy both meclizine and the original drowsy Dramamine. Dramamine can make you sleepy, but meclizine doesn't work for everyone and vice versa. You have to take it before you feel sick or it does no good. I have sailed in really rough seas a couple of times, and when its really rough it doesn't matter where your room is your going to be rocking. In normal seas you will feel more movement in the front of the ship.

Thanks @ALL Last time I sailed was in January, and the waters were really rough, I'm hoping that they won't be so bad in August. Plus last time it was the Wonder, this time it's the Fantasy :-)

We have found that the med center down on deck 1 has a big basket of sea sick pills avaiilable
for anyone, outside their door, no matter if they are open or not.

dk

When I was on the Fantasy recently, the seasickness meds were available at Guest Services. I didn't need any as I brought my own Seabands, bought from Amazon.

I bring Ginger People Gin-Gins Natural Hard Candy (available on Amazon). They are great for keeping your stomach happy. You can suck on them all day without worrying about getting drowsy from medicine, then take your bonine or benadryl at night. Also, don't let yourself get hungry. I know there is food all the time, but when we had an active day and my stomach was empty before dinner I could feel nauseous. Keep cookie, crackers, or a little something from room service in your room to munch on in between meals. Also, I completely agree with looking at the horizon whenever you start to feel woozy.

My step-daughter felt a bit queasy on her first cruise I took her on when she was a teen, and we got Meclizine from Guest Services for her.

If there is a bad storm the medical centre will but normally no.

So book a midship middeck room to avoid it.

Note one cure crackers can be obtained from room service. Get fresh air and view horizon at the widest point.

Sorry but this info is incorrect. The medical center has a bowl of packets containing Meclizine chewable tablets by the counter. Guest services has them as well, but you must ask for them.

Thanks @ALL Last time I sailed was in January, and the waters were really rough, I'm hoping that they won't be so bad in August. Plus last time it was the Wonder, this time it's the Fantasy :-)
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

We just finished our latest cruise on the Fantasy May 23rd. They had the tablets in a wall mounted basket outside the medical room located by the forward gangplank exit. You could just grab what you needed.

since you will be sailing upon the sea, best to research and plan for the potential sea sickness issue beforehand and not hope that there is something available somewhere onboard just in case! :thumbsup2

Just ask Guest Services...they have them. I actually take a few packets home for the next cruise. I start taking them two nights before then once a night on the cruise. The two nights before has been key for me.

I'm prone to motion sickness. Can't ride in the back of a car, etc. I wore the prescription patches you put behind your ear. It was my first time trying them, but they worked great. I had no issues on the cruise.

A few curious things to note
1) Myself as well as several of my family members who wore the patches experienced vision problem while on the cruise. My Sister In Law was in the medical center with my nephew for some other reason and she asked them if there was any relation. They told her YES! That it would clear up within 24-48 hours after you removed the patch. It was pretty significant. My father in law could not read his book. I struggled to see my phone. Etc. etc.

2) This was my first cruise. I was not prepared for "land sickness". For almost a week after we got home I was nauseous. So much so that I actually vomited. Just something to think about.

This is unrelated to if you generally get sea sick but a somewhat related short story. My husband and I don't usually get seasick at all. On a Disney cruise in Italy we took a port adventure on a jet foil to Capri. Before we got off the ship there was a cast member handing out for free and encouraging us to take some type of seasickness medicine. We should have taken some, they knew what they were talking about. We barely made to the island with our breakfast. It appeared many people didn't. Wonderful island once you get there though. I hope your cruise is a lot smoother for you then our little jet foil was. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter